e23inGB
e23inGB Reader
3/19/19 10:05 a.m.

Hey GRMers,

My 2006 Triumph Speed Triple is going to need a new set of shoes this year. Just curious to what people are leaning to when it comes to tires on naked bikes. 

Currently sitting on a bridgestone battlax bt016 front tire and a Continental ContiMotion Rear (had a nail in the battlax rear and wanted to get back on the road for cheap).

So do people lean towards the more sport spectrum Dunlop Q3+ or Michelin Pilot Power 2ct? Or more sport touring?

My riding style is definitely more sport touring highway commute to work, etc.. but fairly sprinted on twistys and I am planning on doing a track day this year on it. 

Just would like to see what you guys are having luck with.

Thanks!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
3/19/19 10:07 a.m.

It depends on how aggressive you plan on getting at the track- I've been very happy with the Michelin Pilot Road series on my 1125CR, decent wear and plenty of grip for spirited road riding.  If you're really pushing it on your current tires at the track you may want something stickier for that use.

e23inGB
e23inGB Reader
3/19/19 1:43 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Thanks for the reply. Those have been on my radar as well. Definitely not going to be burning up the track as this will be my first track day so good to hear your feedback from them on your Buell.

spandak
spandak Reader
3/20/19 10:43 a.m.

I put the Q3+ on my FZ6n. It’s my first bike and the first tires I bought for it so I have literally no other points of reference. So far they are holding up well and I haven’t had even a hint of slip or anything weird. I bought them at the recommendation of my friend who has been riding for years and likes how they will grip right to the very end of their life. He commutes, rides canyons and tracks his bike. 

I also managed to find them CHEAP from a local shop. It was a done deal for me. 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
3/20/19 9:54 p.m.

I run Michelin Pilot Road 4s on my 09 Speed Triple,  but I do a lot of interstate riding for my commute.  I also run them on my k1300s and have always had good luck with them,  so I imagine my next set will be the Road 5s now that they’re out.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
3/21/19 8:36 a.m.

In reply to Cotton :

I have had the PR3, 4, and am now running the PR5- they're the best yet, I think.  I don't think the center tread compound has changed much but the cornering part seems stickier than the previous versions.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
3/21/19 10:48 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Good to know because my k1300s is about to need a new rear and I plan to go with the 5.

e23inGB
e23inGB Reader
4/17/19 10:10 a.m.

Thanks for the recommendations. I think I'm leaning heavily towards the Road 5 after some further review. However, Dunlop has a pretty good rebate going on right now for the Sportmax Roadsmart III. Roads are still junk here in Minnesota so I'll have to serach around a bit on those.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/17/19 10:17 a.m.

I did the same thing last year. I am still very pleased with the Roadsmart III on the FZ. So pleased I am reconsidering selling again. damnit, it was easy before I rode again.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
4/17/19 12:22 p.m.

I loved Pilot Roads on my old VFR.  My Z900rs will probably get a set when the stock tires need replacement.  

I did have a set of Pirelli Angel's on the VFR at one point and they were pretty nice but didn't last as long as the Michelin's.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SNMvsZ7McS52nfXhbaaWRFx33dAxWx2sRhvjfoRNv5XuVC6rtMny1kYGlQSWOziq