1 2 3 4
Challenger392
Challenger392 New Reader
4/21/18 5:56 a.m.

Bike came with this nice Carbon fiber bezel, im not sure if it is aftermarket, it might be from the 900SS from the same era.

Challenger392
Challenger392 New Reader
4/21/18 5:59 a.m.

Here are some closeups of some of the faring damage. Its really too bad they got damaged, they are really nicely painted otherwise. 

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
4/21/18 7:19 a.m.

Images not showing up.  Probably not public accessible.  

Challenger392
Challenger392 New Reader
4/21/18 7:36 a.m.

Better? 

Cooter
Cooter HalfDork
4/22/18 8:07 a.m.

I like and want most every Ducati. Even the odd Cagiva ones that are small displacement. 

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
4/22/18 8:39 a.m.

Can you imagine a simpler t-belt set up. I can do my 916 in 1/2 hour and that has dohc.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
4/22/18 9:15 a.m.

Yeah, I can see them now. I do like those gauges. 

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
4/22/18 9:49 a.m.

I came in here expecting a Pantah.

Challenger392
Challenger392 New Reader
4/22/18 9:55 a.m.
Trans_Maro said:

I came in here expecting a Pantah.

laughHaha, i can understand that.  This bike seems to get alot of love everywhere except the ducati forum.  I tried to add it to their bike registry, but this model doesnt even show up.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
4/22/18 8:15 p.m.

Buy the Calif cycle works belts same factory same belt 1/3 the cost.

CA cycle works

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
5/2/18 6:24 p.m.

I came here with no expectations , but left with bad intentions......adding to an already sedentary two wheeled stable.....much to my wifes'  chagrin I'd have this up in the game room awaiting leisurely disassembly .....

i'd have this up in the game room

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/2/18 9:15 p.m.

It would take all my soul not to run that bike naked. A motorcycle's guts have no business looking that beautiful.

Challenger392
Challenger392 New Reader
5/3/18 10:59 a.m.

Update.  After being on vacation for a week i finally picked up my keys from the locksmith. I removed the seat and tank and found a lovely mouse nest in the rear storage.  Luckily the tool kit was undamaged.  I removed both carbs for a cleaning and reinstalled them.  The tank is full of 15 year old fuel that needs to go.  The strange thing about this bike is that it has an in tank pump.  It seems the most convenient way to drain the tank is to pump it out but i cant get the pump to cone on. I tested the leads that run to it and there seems to be power where it should be.  Either the outlet line is plugged or the pump is busted.

Challenger392
Challenger392 New Reader
5/3/18 11:00 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

That is probably what will happen this summer until i can get the fairing repaired.

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
5/3/18 4:31 p.m.

I'm betting after sitting for so long, the fuel pump is locked up with crap. How nasty did the carbs look?

Challenger392
Challenger392 New Reader
5/3/18 5:04 p.m.
ncjay said:

I'm betting after sitting for so long, the fuel pump is locked up with crap. How nasty did the carbs look?

For how terrible the bottom 1/3 of the tank looks, the carbs were spotless.  I didnt even bother to dip them in cleaner. It looks like the previous owner ran them dry before storage. I really lucked out on that one.

Challenger392
Challenger392 New Reader
5/3/18 6:27 p.m.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
5/4/18 7:25 a.m.

blech

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/4/18 9:26 a.m.

Gas tank or deep fat fryer? 

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
5/4/18 10:31 a.m.

I've seen a lot worse.  Pull out and block the level sensor hole.  saran wrap the tank and blue tape . add a qt of MEK (use your PPE!!!) Shake let sit shake...let sit shake and dump.  once the crude is out and your left with rust let it air dry and then use a gallon of evaporust. you'll need to let it sit 12hr per sid cause it only works on area submerged so you'll need a blanket etc to prop / hold it while it works.  Pour the used evaporust through a coffee filter back in to the jug and save it. older it get the slower it works but its reusable and oddly water based and safe.

If you plan on coating use caswells and make darn sure tank is clean and proper prep is done as once caswell hardens it can not be chemically softened or striped MEK, Nitrometh nothing will remove it. this is what i like about it as the gov keeps changing the recipe for fuel.  May others soften with alky or you use MEK to strip it.  Geuss whats in most octain boosters and storage chemicals...alky and MEK.

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
5/4/18 11:55 a.m.

I support 44dwarf on the MEK and evaporust. Evaporust will eventually not work but it can be used many times over. They also sell it in concentrated form. MEK is very nasty, but effective stuff.

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
5/4/18 11:58 a.m.

Be sure to check the head studs. My 900ss has 1 broken one. It isn't uncommon for them to break.

Challenger392
Challenger392 New Reader
5/4/18 4:00 p.m.
markwemple said:

Be sure to check the head studs. My 900ss has 1 broken one. It isn't uncommon for them to break.

Good to know. Ill try to find the head torque values and pattern and make sure they are all holding well. 

Challenger392
Challenger392 New Reader
5/4/18 4:02 p.m.
markwemple said:

I support 44dwarf on the MEK and evaporust. Evaporust will eventually not work but it can be used many times over. They also sell it in concentrated form. MEK is very nasty, but effective stuff.

Working as an aviation technician i know MEK is terrible.  But it IS the best solvent for many things.  Thanks to all for the helpful input you have answered my questions before i ask them laugh

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
5/4/18 4:24 p.m.

In reply to Challenger392 :

If they are black, they have already been updated and shouldn't break. Reminds me of the air cooled 911 problem. Anyone with an air  cooled 911 with original or even 20 year old dilavars will be facing head stud breakage. It's inevitable. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Y61WjJnTvClsMvE7bZ37uc993zfzcHP9Zw0x9VmR2KiXRzc2OWq01YlpiEe6FndU