dannyp84
dannyp84 New Reader
8/11/21 2:56 p.m.

Last year on a whim I signed up for the Moto Anatomy slide school, which is a 1/2 day intro to flat track riding on modified versions of the new Royal Enfield Himilayan. I've been out of motorcycles for a long time, but rode dirt bikes as a kid, and flat track looked like a slightly less dangerous way to have fun on dirt compared to motocross. The school was a great time, but since then I've done some digging around and although my area has a fair number of dirt tracks for things like sprint cars, the closest flat tracks seem to be in central Pennsylvania or north western Ohio, and I'm not sure they even do amateur stuff. I'm in the northern panhandle of WV, 45 min from Pittsburgh, is anyone in the general area into flat track racing and know of a place to go practice?

If a place exists within 3 hours or so, I'd be willing to find a specialized bike (or modify my Rm125) and give it a shot. Everyone at the school seemed to already be into vintage flat tracking, but they were mostly from Chicago or Indiana, and it seems like Illinois has a strong community. Within 2 hours of my town there are a handful of motocross tracks, are there any flat tracks I'm missing?

Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/11/21 8:15 p.m.

I had a blast watching the American Flat Track series races at Port Royal Speedway a couple weeks back, so naturally that's had me looking for amateur venues as well. There certainly seems to be a bit of a scene out my way (south central PA), if you Google AMA district 6, although that's pushing your travel radius a bit. 

What did you think of the slide school in terms of the learning curve? Did you find it difficult to pick up the technique or were you able to get comfortable sliding and dragging boots through corners pretty quickly? What was the age/experience level of the group like? Sounds like you probably have quite a bit of dirt riding experience than I do on your RM125, the vast majority of my riding has been on street bikes so I worry a bit that I lack the necessary prerequisites. Between this and Mazdeuce's minimoto thread, though, I've been thinking I could have a lot of fun on something like an XR100 for not much more $ than a season's worth of autocross tires.

I believe Mr. Ethnic Food Wrap Aficionado on here is a flat tracker, hopefully he comes along to drop some knowledge. 

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
8/11/21 8:23 p.m.

Check local motosports shops for info. A lot of motorcycle races are special tours that go to various tracks only once a year. (Gene Romero) Find an Assn near you?

Check fairgrounds event schedules.

Ours (nearest to me) is in the Salem Oregon fairgrounds. You can race almost anything from a kart to a sub-compact , cycles, quads, Speedway bikes and Karts, Quarter Midgets on a covered track, MX too I think in another building.  I have the parts to build a Twin motored speedway Kart. :)

I think there are a few from here that race bikes there. I have not done speedway in 15 years

dannyp84
dannyp84 New Reader
8/11/21 8:42 p.m.

In reply to Furious_E (Forum Supporter) :

No one in my group really got the slide figured out in half a day. I did notice that because I had an off-road background and most riders there were street riders, I was able to adapt to the body positioning more quickly and not try to lean by upper body into the corner. I got the bike to slide a little bit here and there but not consistently or effectively for the purposes of getting through a corner faster. I was also the only one in the group to crash that day :) it's a good course for learning the technique and specifically how to position yourself on the bike. If I had a practice track at home I think within a week or so I might've gotten the slide somewhat figured out. Johnny was a very good teacher, patient and willing to spend time with each rider, focusing on what each person needed to work on so I think it was worth the $250 or so ..

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
10/21/21 8:15 p.m.

Check the ama vintage national schedules.  We had two races in PA, Hanover and Gratz.

In a few in Ohio and 6 in NY

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VAA9F6HSvU76fu5kbDueZrPzNpWkVGILh2PlgUkWbR12Fk8GSaoFnKbjTvG8k5fP