1 2 3
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/3/22 1:57 p.m.
06HHR (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to alfadriver :

In Florida, driving with a suspended or revoked license can get you jail time.  But, it's at the discretion of the arresting officer.  So, often the penalty is go pay your ticket(s) and get your license reinstated, and call somebody to come drive you (and your car) home.   Guy possibly wrote off a million dollar car (no insurance), and limited property damage (trees are pretty resilient) so cop cut him some slack.. YMMV.

If it was a guy who was barely scraping by, would the officer have cut him slack?

Guy who is already irresponsible enough to drive unregistered, uninsured, and with a suspended license, probably got there because he was cut slack all the time.  

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
5/3/22 1:58 p.m.

Anyone got the VIN number so we can check later and see that it got fixed , 

or do a Carfax for it !

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/3/22 2:07 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to alfadriver :

In Florida, driving with a suspended or revoked license can get you jail time.  But, it's at the discretion of the arresting officer.  So, often the penalty is go pay your ticket(s) and get your license reinstated, and call somebody to come drive you (and your car) home.   Guy possibly wrote off a million dollar car (no insurance), and limited property damage (trees are pretty resilient) so cop cut him some slack.. YMMV.

If it was a guy who was barely scraping by, would the officer have cut him slack?

Guy who is already irresponsible enough to drive unregistered, uninsured, and with a suspended license, probably got there because he was cut slack all the time.  

I think you already know the answer to your question...devil  To quote myself, the level of stupidity allowed is proportional to one's net worth. frown

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/3/22 2:13 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

Anyone got the VIN number so we can check later and see that it got fixed , 

or do a Carfax for it !

Or Challenge parts?

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/3/22 2:14 p.m.

In Iowa at least, the uninsured and unregistered is what you get to go along with a license suspension.  

Have to turn the plates in if it's registered in your name, and if you drive (like on a work/school permit) you have to buy SR22 (high risk) insurance. 

Some folks get around the registration problem by selling vehicles to spouse/girlfriend for $1.  When you've already demonstrated a tendency towards bad decision making, you can just imagine some of the possible consequences of that.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
5/3/22 2:29 p.m.

To be fair, here in Florida your license can get suspended for any number of things.  Unpaid tickets, lack of insurance, unpaid child support, etc.  So lots of people who find their licenses suspended aren't necessarily menaces to society.  While the law says folks are supposed to get jail time (for driving with suspended/revoked license), the arresting officer has jurisdiction and can do anything from let someone off with a warning and instruction to pay fees/fines for license reinstatement to arrest the person on the spot impound the vehicle and seize the plates.  So, it depends on the individual situation, AND the level of benevolence the LEO has who is making the stop.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/3/22 3:10 p.m.

To be fair, here in Florida your license can get suspended for any number of things.  Unpaid tickets, lack of insurance, unpaid child support, etc.  So lots of people who find their licenses suspended aren't necessarily menaces to society.

You have managed to contradict yourself in just three sentences!  wink

Doesn't pay debts, drives without insurance, and fathers children without taking responsibility?  Sounds like a menace to society.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/3/22 3:22 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

To be fair, here in Florida your license can get suspended for any number of things.  Unpaid tickets, lack of insurance, unpaid child support, etc.  So lots of people who find their licenses suspended aren't necessarily menaces to society.

Doesn't pay debts, drives without insurance, and fathers children without taking responsibility?  Sounds like a menace to society.

You don't understand-- those are only menaces to society when other people do them, not when I do them wink

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/3/22 3:49 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Not to mention driving on the sidewalk.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/3/22 3:52 p.m.
wae said:

On a completely different note, what is with people using that synthesized voice for voiceovers in videos?  That makes both my brain and my ears hurt.

Money.  It's AI-driven clickbait content used to track your interests.  It costs money and takes time to do VOs.

Bots troll the web looking for stuff like this video.  They troll the comments of the video, AI tries to pick the most appropriate comment, it does a computer VO and sends it out to people with the demographic the AI thinks will generate the most watches and clicks.  Then they sell the data (how long you watched, what browser, what sites you visited, what devices are on your network, etc) to marketing companies so that it can target you with things like ads for auto insurance, Ford cars, Microsoft, and beef jerky (or whatever site you recently visited)

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
5/3/22 3:59 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

What I should have explained was suspension due to administrative issues, not for breaking any actual law. 

One of my kids used to collect parking tickets at the local university, car registered in my name, I never saw them until I got a nice note from the county telling me to pay up or face license suspension.  This was such an issue here in our small college town that those tickets ended up being waived for all parents and I didn't have to pay them.

I had a friend who was stopped and found out her license was suspended for lapsed insurance, turns out her insurance company reported her insurance as lapsed in error, as her coverage was current.  A couple of phone calls fixed that one, but she still couldn't drive until her license was reinstated (just the fee and not a fine for uninsured motorist, as she was never uninsured.  I thought they should have waived the fee too, but whatever). 

As for child support, I was once flagged for license suspension for non-payment here in Florida, while the child support authority in Georgia where my child was living with her mother actually sent a portion of my checks back to me because I was overpaying.  It was a bureaucratic mix up because I was paying via payroll deduction in Florida and they were sending to Georgia, and somehow Florida thought I wasn't paying, even though Florida transferred the payments.  Took me 2 or 3 years to get that sorted out (every year my tax refund would be held up for non-payment).  Never received a suspension, but every year I had to prove that I was making payments to the people who were collecting them.  For the same kid that was collecting the parking tickets BTW..  Anyway, i'm not a saint, but I don't think you have to hide your women and children from me..wink  

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/3/22 4:11 p.m.

In reply to 06HHR (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks for clearing that up! laugh

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
5/3/22 4:38 p.m.

Here is another Florida suspension story. 81 y.o. Canadian that couldn't come to the US for the winter during covid lock down.  He had liability insurance on his car he keeps down here. He figured it was going to be sitting in his garage minding its own business for the duration and lets the insurance go. You have to turn in your plate if you are going to do that but he can't even get across the border.  License suspended.

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/3/22 4:46 p.m.

In reply to 06HHR (Forum Supporter) :

That is all well and good, but once you start driving with a suspended license...

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
5/3/22 4:52 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

The crazy thing is, like Mndsm says, if you threw a blanket over 100 cars, i bet at least 10 of those have an unlicensed driver of some sort.  Suspended/revoked or just plan no license at all.  It's kind of third world like that down here..

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/3/22 5:55 p.m.

A suspended license and no insurance in MA will get you in a heap of trouble.  They take it way more seriously than many other things.   I don't know how FL does it.  Does FL even require insurance?  

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
5/3/22 6:19 p.m.

Many,many years ago in NC if one let their insurance lapse, the NC Hiway Patrol would come to your house and remove the license plates from your car if you didn't turn them in.  I don't know if there were fines, etc. involved.

wae
wae PowerDork
5/3/22 6:33 p.m.

While I absolutely despise people that drive without insurance (see above) this crap where they take registrations when the insurance is cancelled makes my head explode.  I can turn insurance on and off with a phone call, 24x7.  And if I have many cars, I would like very much to do that.  And does that even work?  If I'm going to drive without insurance, why wouldn't I drive without valid registration?

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
5/3/22 6:53 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Yes. No insurance, no tag/registration.  If caught driving with no insurance they will take your license plate.  If you cancel insurance without a replacement you are required to turn in the license plate for the uninsured vehicle.

EDIT: To take this thread off on a tangent, i had to insure and plate a project car to keep from paying city fines for an inoperable vehicle. Someone in my neighborhood ratted me out.  Insurance wasn't an issue, few bucks extra a month for liability. Had to have an LEO come by and run the VIN# to make sure it wasn't stolen before they would issue a plate.  So, i had an insured plated vehicle with an engine sitting in my garage being rebuilt. And my neighborhood doesn't have a HOA.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
5/3/22 7:11 p.m.
wae said:

While I absolutely despise people that drive without insurance (see above) this crap where they take registrations when the insurance is cancelled makes my head explode.  I can turn insurance on and off with a phone call, 24x7.  And if I have many cars, I would like very much to do that.  And does that even work?  If I'm going to drive without insurance, why wouldn't I drive without valid registration?

Yeah, they frown on driving on stolen plates, so most of those folks either keep the temp tag they got from the BHPH lot they bought the car from for months after it expires, or they put a cardboard square in the rear window and write "Lost Tag" on it with a random plate #

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/3/22 7:17 p.m.

I've never had a problem dropping a vehicle's insurance and not turning in the plate here in FL.  Makes me wonder now.  At one point I had 6 insured and plated vehicles.  FL hits you hard for each plate so I'm good as long as I don't go over 6 total but as I sold vehicles I'd just drop insurance and not turn in plates.  Wonder if I've gotten lucky and the new buyers have titled/registered in FL so that the state knew.

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/3/22 7:50 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

When my driver's license was suspended in Ohio, I went to the BMV to do the thing the law said to do and turn in my driver's license and get a state ID card.  The county registrar was manning (womanning?) the desk I went to, and she said to NOT do that - keep it as my form of ID, the suspension was all done electronically, and keeping it made getting reinstated a lot simpler.  So I did.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
5/3/22 8:26 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

That's what I used to do. For some reason the last one off my Sorento that got totaled I had to turn in after I took it off. Only thing on the hatchback that wasn't bent. Could be just a county thing. Seems like the procedure changes based on what tag office you go to.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
5/3/22 8:27 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

At least his insurance premiums shouldn't go up, so there's that. 

Whenever he gets insurance it will.  

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/4/22 8:01 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

In NY you cannot cancel your insurance until you turn the plates in.  DMV gives you a number that you recite to the Ins Co, then it gets dropped.  They used to charge you $8/day for every day after you cancel the insurance without turning in the plate.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4JCjjaHp5aVeacU2585AxSbW6WjAKkQ7pjUwbVVFZ23ZBSIE41vUpxqFhIy6Re96