Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/31/23 6:08 p.m.

Just curious as i constantly shop for cars when I don't need a car.  Cool car by the side of the road?  I'm stopping. 

Where is Nissan with their quality currently.  Maxima for $21,000 - are these crap? Not interested just like to keep up to date on my former, favorite car manufacturer.  

$21,129?  

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
1/31/23 6:59 p.m.

3 year old rental with 60k miles. It's priced where it should be. They're strange cars, have all of the nice options, just blah to drive. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/31/23 7:02 p.m.

Tons of Altimas, Sentras, Pathrfinders, and Armadas at giveaway prices. No resale value for Nissan + rental fleet =  good deals for junk products.

*Nissan Patrol is the exception to junk quality, but sadly is saddled with the worst USDM Nissan nameplate that have been so tarnished over the years**

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/31/23 8:08 p.m.

I didn't think of rental cars........yikes

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/31/23 9:31 p.m.

I've had 4 Nissans DDs in my past life. I've also had 3 Infinitis.   I liked the brand and looked up to some of their offerings...until about 2007.  The last Nissan was my wife's Versa that we bought really early in the product launch.  We got the more loaded model, the SL.  With that SL, you got CVT.  We never had any real problems with the CVT other than odd driving dynamics.  But, I (we) also sold that car around 80k miles all with the intention of getting away from the CVT and the poor reputation of reliability.  

Right or wrong, I now fear anything from Nissan with a CVT.  They still have some things w/o CVT like the above mentioned Armada/Patrol.  I'd like one of those and nearly bought one in 2020.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/31/23 9:34 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

You can buy rental cars direct from Hertz, Avis, Enterprise.  Even if you do not buy theirs it can be enlightening to go over to their respective sales websites and see what makes/models they have many of.  I know for Hertz a couple of years ago the combined Koreans were the bulk of their inventory with Nissan then being their next largest.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/31/23 10:23 p.m.

Do the Maximas still have CVTs that eat themselves alive?

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
2/1/23 10:04 a.m.

The CVT's in those (and most other Nissans) make them a non-starter for people who like to drive and for people that like dependable transportation. I had a previous gen Maxima as a rental about 9 years ago, and I liked everything about it but the CVT. It made good power and was really comfortable, but that transmission was the absolute WORST, especially on the highway where the rubber band effect of the CVT could be felt the most. It's really too bad; they would make great daily drivers and highway bombers otherwise. 

Does Nissan still use the horrible Jatco CVTs? Those things are the automotive equivalent of syphilis; a decent package but with a nasty surprise on the inside.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/23 10:37 a.m.

The only CVTs that have built up a good reputation so far are Subaru's, I guess getting a 2-decade head start on making them was worth something.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/1/23 10:38 a.m.
Tony Sestito said:

The CVT's in those (and most other Nissans) make them a non-starter for people who like to drive and for people that like dependable transportation. I had a previous gen Maxima as a rental about 9 years ago, and I liked everything about it but the CVT. It made good power and was really comfortable, but that transmission was the absolute WORST, especially on the highway where the rubber band effect of the CVT could be felt the most. It's really too bad; they would make great daily drivers and highway bombers otherwise. 

This, exactly. I had a newer maxima rental and thought it might be fun. Crap no. That stupid CVT removed any chance of fun from a otherwise nice car.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9NeZsYyskHFdRiJqCXlkpwI9VVTktTZOshnDeuRIr4mqIvbGgYNW23HVq8Ue3bFO