trigun7469 SuperDork
1/26/22 12:24 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

laugh

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/26/22 3:39 p.m.
Stampie said:

A little part of me hopes the quite search for our new coach means it's Leftwich but my heart knows that the Jaguars aren't smart enough to actually get him.

I think we could still screw this up. I imagine Leftwich saying "Ok the contract is good except I need a mini fridge in my office."  Then the Jaguars reply "Oh hell no we drawn the line there!"

stroker
stroker UberDork
1/26/22 4:21 p.m.
Stampie said:
Stampie said:

A little part of me hopes the quite search for our new coach means it's Leftwich but my heart knows that the Jaguars aren't smart enough to actually get him.

I think we could still screw this up. I imagine Leftwich saying "Ok the contract is good except I need a mini fridge in my office."  Then the Jaguars reply "Oh hell no we drawn the line there!"

Sounds like something the Bears would do...

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/27/22 12:30 p.m.
Stampie said:
Stampie said:

Apparently the last sticking point is that Leftwich doesn't want to take the job if Baalke is still there as GM.  Can't say that I'd blame him.

Stampie
1/27/22 12:35 p.m.

In reply to psteav (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks for giving me sad thoughts on my lunch hour. I could see that point and I could see the Jags being stupid.

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/27/22 4:12 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Anytime!  

BTW, Leftwich accepted, Baalke got the boot, and your new GM is the former VP of player personnel for the Cardinals.  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/27/22 5:07 p.m.
stroker said:
Stampie said:
Stampie said:

If the NFL had any sense, they'd somehow figure out a way to get the McCaskey family out of football. Seriously, how can a family that has done nothing but football their entire lives be so bad at their jobs? 

stroker
stroker UberDork
1/27/22 5:09 p.m.
mtn said:
stroker said:
Stampie said:
Stampie said:

If the NFL had any sense, they'd somehow figure out a way to get the McCaskey family out of football. Seriously, how can a family that has done nothing but football their entire lives be so bad at their jobs? 

Wisconsin Schadenfreude, it's a bitch, yah, you betcha.  

Stampie
1/28/22 7:09 a.m.

In reply to psteav (Forum Supporter) :

It's not done until it's announced. I think they'll still screw it up.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/28/22 8:55 a.m.
mtn said:

Pardon me, but the Ford family would like a word. At least the Bears have been to a Superbowl this century and won one within living memory.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/28/22 9:11 a.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
mtn said:

Pardon me, but the Ford family would like a word. At least the Bears have been to a Superbowl this century and won one within living memory.

Seems that the fans really have become a problem for both teams.  They stand behind them no matter how bad they are.  Way back, we went to a Lions game in the depth of their despair, and it was packed.  Seeing Soldier Field on TV makes me think its the same there.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/28/22 9:30 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Are you sure?  I've seen videos of some of the losing team games and the stands look half full at most, although in "these times" it's hard to know if that was intentional.  For example, most Jaguars games I've seen seem to have a lot of empty seats. 

But I do agree somewhat - after watching Stafford march down the field and pull a Brady on Brady - in Brady's house, I got the feeling he wasn't the problem with the Lions. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/28/22 10:22 a.m.
alfadriver said:
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
mtn said:

Seems that the fans really have become a problem for both teams.  They stand behind them no matter how bad they are.  Way back, we went to a Lions game in the depth of their despair, and it was packed.  Seeing Soldier Field on TV makes me think its the same there.

I think people love the NFL so much that they go support their local team whether they are good or not. 

Besides, the owners get so much money from TV it almost doesn't matter if they sell out the stadium. Of course, it's embarrassing to have a half-full stadium, but from a financial standpoint, the owners are still fine.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
1/28/22 10:32 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

Plus the owners receive government subsidies to build or renovate stadiums. They are billionaires and are not going broke.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/28/22 10:32 a.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to alfadriver :

Are you sure?  I've seen videos of some of the losing team games and the stands look half full at most, although in "these times" it's hard to know if that was intentional.  For example, most Jaguars games I've seen seem to have a lot of empty seats. 

But I do agree somewhat - after watching Stafford march down the field and pull a Brady on Brady - in Brady's house, I got the feeling he wasn't the problem with the Lions. 

Pretty much.  The other problem in Detroit is that there's a lot more scrutiny on the Red Wings goalie than there is on the Lions.  ALL of the Lions.  This isn't like New York or Phily where there's scathing things about the struggling FB team constantly- putting tons of pressure on the owners.  This is an area that covers the Rams since Stafford played here for so many years- as the local press knows there's no chance the Lions actually do something- so it's all vicarious through other players- mostly Stafford and Brady (since he went to Michigan).

The worst that ever happened with the Lions and a revolt was the fan protests over Matt Millen.  Which was covered in the press, but it wasn't highlighted that much.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/28/22 10:36 a.m.
trigun7469 said:

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

Plus the owners receive government subsidies to build or renovate stadiums. They are billionaires and are not going broke.

For once, I do have to give some credit to Wayne County voters- who had to approve the support.  The combination of Comerica Park and Ford Field has really transformed downtown Detroit.  It's taking WAY to long to extrapolate to the rest of the city- but it was a start.  And that helped when the Pizzarina was built bringing the Pistons back downtown.

The latter really helping the riverfront area- since Joe Lewis was built in the era when people were afraid of coming to Detroit, so it was more a fortress than something inviting (much like the Ren Center used to be).

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/29/22 3:54 p.m.

ESPN is reporting that Tom Brady is retiring- so the man that is both loved and hated with a lot of passion is leaving- and it's hard to argue that he's not the GOAT.  The only other long time QB that could be mention as that can't get back into the SB, he'll never come close to challenge any of Brady's numbers.

Tom Brady has won more than any TEAM has won the SB, and has been in the game so much that he's also lost as many times as some of the best teams never to have won.   Pretty amazing.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/29/22 8:35 p.m.
alfadriver said:

ESPN is reporting that Tom Brady is retiring- so the man that is both loved and hated with a lot of passion is leaving- and it's hard to argue that he's not the GOAT.  The only other long time QB that could be mention as that can't get back into the SB, he'll never come close to challenge any of Brady's numbers.

Tom Brady has won more than any TEAM has won the SB, and has been in the game so much that he's also lost as many times as some of the best teams never to have won.   Pretty amazing.

Lots of denial about this now- ESPN and Schefter may have egg on their faces for this.  We will see.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/30/22 4:33 p.m.

So who did Boomer piss off at Arrowhead stadium? Loved the soundtrack for halftime 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/30/22 4:40 p.m.
06HHR (Forum Supporter) said:

So who did Boomer piss off at Arrowhead stadium? Loved the soundtrack for halftime 

That was great, I can't believe someone didn't think that would be a problem lol

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
1/30/22 4:42 p.m.

I was wondering about that... "did I accidentally open another window on my phone?" ...but then it went away at the cut to a commercial.  Oops. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/30/22 4:51 p.m.

Well, if you saw the national anthem... someone is getting fired.

Why yes, just setup the desk right in front of these GIANT speakers.  I don't see any issues with that.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
1/30/22 5:15 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I caught the last couple of lines... a couple of lines too many. I feel bad for anyone who had to sit through the whole thing. My gawd that was terrible.

On the plus side (end of the 3rd) - this is turning into a game now!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/30/22 6:19 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

A game for sure.  Up until that last drive in the first half, this looked more of a dominant game.  That second half...

And it's awesome for another playoff game to finish on the last play.  Exciting as heck.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
1/30/22 6:26 p.m.

After the Bengals win, I feel like the odds of the 49ers winning their game just went up.

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0LZIVUcaxpPT0VXBdP9RJW6Y0SAyxLR6FRSiqNU46rSHVIlFBNIgLvvOPp1r9gBN