1 ... 10 11 12
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/13/22 11:49 p.m.
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/14/22 12:48 p.m.

Maiden in Tampa was awesome–the usual A+ performance. 

But some of the show seemed familiar. Hadn't we seen that Eddie before? And again with the same Spitfire for Aces High?

Oh yeah, we saw this very same tour back in South Florida in 2019. (We've seen the same tour more than once, but usually there's not quite the gap.)

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
11/14/22 1:40 p.m.

Picked up a couple 80's Metal classics over the weekend: 

Aside from Ozzy and Ronnie James Dio, Sabbath had a few other vocalists over the years, including Tony Martin in the 80's and 90's. The Tony Martin albums are hit and miss, but this one stands out as of the best Sabbath albums, period. Iommi is shred-tastic on here, and the riffs are heavy as ever. There's even a cameo by his buddy Brian May (yes, THAT Brian May) on this album! 

You probably know who Trans-Siberian Orchestra is. What you may not know is that their origins started with this band, Savatage. Before they pulled that money train into the station, they were making Prog/Power Metal albums like Hall of the Mountain King. I discovered this one in the early 00's, up late at night and watching VH1 Classic's Metal Mania show. I saw this video: 

After laughing at the pure cheese this video offers up, I couldn't get the song out of my head, so I went down the Savatage rabbit hole. Turns out, this album properly RIPS! No mention of Christmas anywhere on this one. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
11/14/22 4:32 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

GET OUT OF MY HEAD laugh

I just searched out that album last weekend.  Was looking for a good metal cover of Peer Gynt (and I found one, forgot to link) and thought eh, let's get some Savatage in there too.

Did not know that about TSO.  They do a show every Christmas in Cleveland and half my family goes.

Pete. (l33t FS)
12/23/22 6:34 p.m.
David S. Wallens
12/23/22 7:36 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

It's always time for that one.\m/

Pete. (l33t FS)
1/20/23 8:44 p.m.

Mainly when it is like -5F out smiley  Its original name was "When Hell Freezes Over" which is also apt, it is just a very "cold" feeling piece.

I never linked the one from before.  It actually seems to be a *squints* guitar cover of the Apocalyptica version, who are a band that got their fame from playing cello covers of Metallica... who are the reason I got to like this little bit of music because Kirk would play a few bars of it while walking onstage...

Pete. (l33t FS)
1/20/23 9:43 p.m.

...so anyway, YT Music has been throwing me a lot of Dethklok for some reason and I've been listening to it non-ironically

(how does laser beams or acid work underwater?)

Pete. (l33t FS)
2/15/23 9:10 p.m.

This guy nails the tone, the vocals... everything.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
2/17/23 3:32 p.m.

A few classics that have hit my table lately:

Pete. (l33t FS)
2/26/23 9:46 p.m.

Teh E36 M3 said in his MG MZR thread:

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) :

I'm trying to decide what to play the first time I pull out of the driveway.

Colin has been built, like most vehicles I have built, with metal and industrial in my ears.

Amon Amarth, Sabaton, and Korpiklaani have been instrumental in the development process, but one thing really keeps me going.

Fan made music video because of course it is

anything that combines Batman, Evil Dead, and a dozen other fandoms is cool in my book

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/26/23 11:11 p.m.

I went to a White Witch concert in my home town's 1,200 person plus balcony movie theater in the early 70s. It was hard to see the stage from that balcony through all of the pot smoke haze. The city leaders stated that Rock music was a "Bad Thing" and banned rock concerts for ever more. And not allowed to this day except for Acid Rock for God concerts.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
2/27/23 2:02 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

...so anyway, YT Music has been throwing me a lot of Dethklok for some reason and I've been listening to it non-ironically

(how does laser beams or acid work underwater?)

Dethklok rips. I know it's mostly a joke, but Mr Small is a legend. Dethalbum 2 is a gem. 
Speaking of irony though. I'm typing this with the original cast Les Miserables playing on ye olde airpods. 

David S. Wallens
2/27/23 9:13 a.m.

Nice. I saw CoC back in school, I saw them in modern times. Didn’t seem like they slowed down over the years. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/27/23 12:40 p.m.

I think my band might have opened for COC way back when at a venue in PA. Those guys have been around forever. I'll have to ask my old bass player.

I saw Savatage opening for Megadeth and Dio back in 1986. My first concert. I do remember that video on MTV back in the day.

Speaking of Megadeth, Marty Friedman joined them for a show in Tokyo.

I will have to go down a rabbit hole of show videos after work today.

Neat he dug out one of his custom Jackson Kelly models. I thought he had sold them all off for Tsunami relief a few years ago, although those might have just been his Megadeth era guitars. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
2/28/23 11:34 a.m.

Yeah, been a COC fan since the early 90's when I heard Clean My Wounds on local radio. I didn't really get into the early Crossover/Hardcore days until later, but I was a huge fan of the Blind-era forward. I actually bought Wiseblood by mistake; I was on a high school band trip (we used to travel the country every year for competitions) and they dropped us off at a mall somewhere. I wanted some new music, and remembered that I liked COC, so I grabbed the Wiseblood cassette off the rack thinking it was the Deliverance album. When I popped it in, I was not disappointed, but surprised how much I liked it even more! It's probably my favorite of theirs. 

I also grabbed this one recently: 

In The Arms of God is another favorite. This one has one of my favorite drummers (Stanton Moore) playing on it, which is a treat. He's by no means a Metal drummer; he leans more toward the New Orleans Jazz stuff, but he's buddies with COC due to the NOLA connection, and he is amazing on this one. He's also recording with them right now, which I'm super pumped about! 

haiduk
haiduk New Reader
2/28/23 12:05 p.m.

Haiduk - Sea of Fire

Pete. (l33t FS)
6/19/23 7:49 p.m.

In Batcave, scratching my head at trying to make five things fit in the same space, listening to some autogenerated playlist.

Then this comes on.

About thirty seconds in, I stop paying attention to Mini/Subaru dash and realize what is in my headphones and start laughing hysterically

Pete. (l33t FS)
6/19/23 9:21 p.m.

....In case that didn't click

The Finnish version is not an English translation, it's about drinking, because of course it is

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/27/23 7:49 a.m.

The fact that Sabaton covered and released defence of Moscow which was made originally by a fan makes the possibility of them covering this kinda real

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/27/23 8:12 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Amon Amarth, Sabaton, and Korpiklaani have been instrumental in the development process,

... which makes it criminal that I didn't know about this until today.

Apparently this was only on some super limited edition pressings of Carolus Rex. It isn't on mine.

1 ... 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n0fttdnWsgPX7IuZedcZx6EAeHg41qPv7AD2rd1Y7rjaozT8h7GdwCfHGWJUVr3r