1 ... 3 4 5
Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/15/22 2:00 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Another favorite rifle is my Mini-14. It's another sweet shooter. 

The only other rifle I have is a Ruger 10-22 Takedown. It is a little finicky about ammo quality. 

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/15/22 3:05 p.m.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/22 1:15 p.m.

Canoe.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/22 1:40 p.m.

Btw there is also a Boom Stick Thread here on GRM with lots of info. 

stroker
stroker PowerDork
7/18/22 9:23 a.m.

Is the ammo/firearms market ever going to be sane and affordable again...?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
7/18/22 9:43 a.m.

I totally do not recall starting this thread, but just read all the way back through it.   The update is that I still haven't bought anything.  I had access to property with a short shooting range on it and never used it.  Now that access is gone.  I'm pretty pissed at myself I didn't buy an SKS or K-31 when they were more affordable.  I also am becoming infatuated with the .260 Remington.  They just don't make a lot of rifles in that caliber.   Also, the price of anything rifle and the ammo is $$$$ and rarely available.  So I'll keep paddling along (canoe reference) for now.   

Y'all have a good day.  

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
7/18/22 10:56 a.m.

In reply to spitfirebill :

.260 Remington is nice, but can only use light bullets in most mags. 6.5 Creedmoor is the same case capacity, just a different shape to work with heavier bullets in standard mags. .260 just kinda lost its reason to be.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/18/22 11:07 a.m.

If you were looking for a highly accurate bolt gun in a nostalgic caliber, would you choose .243 Win. or .257 Bob.?

Edit:  Ammo availability isn't a huge factor, as I'd be loading my own.

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/19/22 11:43 a.m.

As far as pure accuracy with handloads, I think there has been a lot more development in 6mm (.243) match bullets than in .257's, albeit mostly for other cartridges.  Several of the competitive shooting disciplines - Benchrest, NRA High Power Rifle, Precision Rifle - have had assorted 6mm's (.243, 6mm PPC, 6mm Creedmoor, 6 Dash, etc) used at the top levels.  There haven't been as many .25's up there.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
7/19/22 4:44 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl :

Completely agree with you.  It's just that there is so much unwarranted 6.5 Creedmoor hate out there.  

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
7/19/22 4:48 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

If you were looking for a highly accurate bolt gun in a nostalgic caliber, would you choose .243 Win. or .257 Bob.?

Edit:  Ammo availability isn't a huge factor, as I'd be loading my own.

If you read my original post, I was headed into a gun store to buy a .243 when the salesman threw a monkey wrench in my plans and started this whole dilemma.  Now I feel it might be a little lightweight and was searching something more flexible.  And the .257 Bob is fine too.  

Folgers
Folgers Reader
7/19/22 6:36 p.m.

I’m a big fan of 243 Winchester. Good bullet selection, relative low recoil, more likely to be able to buy components or loaded rounds. 

I’m shooting 105gn amaxes over 38.5 gn of hodgdons 4350 powder. Right around 2,700 fps. 

Killed everything I’ve shot. At distance I’m able to spot my own hits, and my shoulder doesn’t ache after a morning of shooting. 

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
8/5/22 6:51 p.m.

If I want to drive tacks with a bolt action, my go to currently is the custom Mauser I found a few years ago in 244 Remington(6mm Rem for the modern name). It's like the 243 except with more speed. 

Folgers
Folgers Reader
8/5/22 9:52 p.m.

In this economy?

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
8/7/22 4:33 a.m.

In reply to Folgers :

Some of us make our own ammunition, and typically we're sitting on stockpiles of components. Just with stuff on hand I can keep my 30cal collection fed for years. 

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
468YH9PmQX4dMZkIYtnBLvbFaYie9Kq5ddHwOYHYbjjluoEZVF1Vtj5Nara6CQOX