1 2 3 4
Jay
Jay Dork
12/15/10 8:41 a.m.

I suspect I'm going to be in the minority here, the vast majority of this board seems to like "'70s rock or rock that sounds like '70s rock" almost exclusively. Was never into that much... I usually have no clue what you guys are talking about in music threads.

Anyway I like a lot of different music but lately I've been listening to a lot of proper psy & goa. I tend to go on 'kicks' for certain styles of music that last a few weeks or months... Any other fans of this stuff here? What are you listening to?

I keep coming back to these guys. I discovered them probably almost ten years ago and they've been improving ever since. Some of their more recent stuff practically blew my mind. So complex, so atmospheric, so many layers... I remember the first time I heard "The Path" (downloadable off that page), I'd saved it onto a memory stick and was playing it on a road trip. I had to stop the car and just listen, it demanded 100% of my attention and it got it. Helps that I was driving my old Celica at the time which had one of the best factory stereos ever.

Right now I've got their Summer Mix 2010 going in Winamp... Starts off a bit nuts-and-bolts, just Synsun doing their thing, but it gets really cool around 50 minutes in.

I still want to hear them live sometime but it doesn't look like they're doing any events near me anytime soon. Too bad...

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Reader
12/15/10 8:53 a.m.

When I started out downloading music off the internet (back when dirt was under warranty, mind you) all we had was good old mp3 dot com and tons of European Trance artists. I might still have some on a HD around here someplace. Of course, I'd had a C64 back then, so it was natural to get into that style of music.

Now? Metal.

(had to take out the link to the current mp3 dot com, just not the same)

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
12/15/10 9:09 a.m.

I've been rediscovering electronic music via pandora on the PS3 lately.

Don't REALLY fit in your genres, but:

Sasha
Tipper
RJD2
Deadmau5

Just a few that i've been really enjoying. Though, hearing electronic music on a tube-based 2-channel setup is a bit of a strange thing.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
12/15/10 9:32 a.m.

Was always more a CCR, Mamas and Papas, Jim Croce type.

If you're going to sing, tell me a story when you do sing. Which makes me a ballad lover. Otherwise, hush up and make some music, don't just torture a good instrument.

Which is why I also love Pavarotti, Beethovan, Hendrix, Ostroushkol, Prince, Cash and many others. And, have no trouble stringing them together in the same sentence.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Reader
12/15/10 9:40 a.m.

In reply to Jay:

You may enjoy Squarepusher

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slA1I2xlqek&feature=related

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/15/10 9:45 a.m.

Autechre

/thread

jg

nderwater
nderwater HalfDork
12/15/10 10:28 a.m.

When it comes to EDM I like a little bit of everything, but I prefer electronica that sounds like songs instead of stuff that's just endless beats (or worse, just noise). Lately I've been collecting the stuff that interests me into a blog so that I always have something to listen to when I'm online: http://stopthedisco.tumblr.com/

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
12/15/10 11:21 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: Autechre /thread jg

Interesting video but I could not make out much sound with the static.

maddabe
maddabe Reader
12/15/10 11:40 a.m.

I listen to a lot of Drum n Bass and Jungle/Breakbeat. Check out Dieselboy, Aphrodite, DJ Dara, Grooverider and Roni Size. It's always good to see another fan of "techno" music on one of these boards.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
12/15/10 6:27 p.m.

I like BT and Crystal Method. Vegas has never been far from the sterio.

Marty!
Marty! Dork
12/15/10 6:31 p.m.
maddabe wrote: I listen to a lot of Drum n Bass and Jungle/Breakbeat. Check out Dieselboy, Aphrodite, DJ Dara, Grooverider and Roni Size. It's always good to see another fan of "techno" music on one of these boards.

+1 - DJ Zinc, Hype, Bukem, and who could forget DJ Rap.

In another life I used to hang in Chicago with Phantom 45 and Danny tha Wildchild.

It's been a while since I listened to some of that stuff, I'm going to have to dig out some old mixtapes.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Reader
12/15/10 7:10 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Interesting video but I could not make out much sound with the static.

You need to Eat Static: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_ffV3rteEM

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
12/15/10 7:28 p.m.

Dick, on a scale of 35 to 98, I give it a 75.
"It's got a good beat and you can dance to it".

wbjones
wbjones Dork
12/15/10 8:22 p.m.

not only do I agree with Jay... i.e. I seldom understand what most of ya-all are talking about with regards to music.... but I've never heard of the ones he mentioned...

I listen mostly to '50's and '60's rock / traditional bluegrass / '40's - '60's country or classical ....

oldtin
oldtin Dork
12/15/10 9:05 p.m.

Got a program on the iphone - gets internet radio - Dogglounge Radio is pretty good. Lately on a kick with some stations in Berlin. I kinda listen to a little of everything.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
12/15/10 9:21 p.m.
nderwater wrote: When it comes to EDM I like a little bit of everything, but I prefer electronica that sounds like songs instead of stuff that's just endless beats

This. To that end, I enjoy Boards of Canada. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lEsLcGB7Vo

heyduard
heyduard New Reader
12/15/10 11:17 p.m.

digitally imported has a bunch of streams for various techno. I first heard Astral Projection from their goa trance stream years ago.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 Reader
12/16/10 12:08 a.m.

I'm on a Trip Hop kick right now. Massive Attack, Tricky, Sneaker Pimps. That count? Damn, I know it leans pop, but Six Underground is just good.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
12/16/10 7:48 a.m.

Air is probably my favorite electronic stuff, but that's more chill than EDM.

I like some Daft Punk, but I haven't really delved into them.

Jay
Jay Dork
12/16/10 10:54 a.m.

Good responses all! Some interesting stuff posted so far.

Here's another good one: Transwave: Land of Freedom 2006. Definitely one of my faves. It has some really amazing themes and segues in it. If you're into the more melodic tracks give it a listen!

Here's the original from (I think) 1995. I like the newer version better but also good.

Jay
Jay Dork
12/16/10 10:57 a.m.

Wow, I just realized how much quality goa is just posted on Youtube. You can spend hours listening and not have any repeats... Why do people bother with the radio again?

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox HalfDork
12/16/10 1:58 p.m.

In reply to Jay:

Or paying for satellite radio like my wife does.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
12/16/10 11:39 p.m.
Otto Maddox wrote: Or paying for satellite radio like my wife does.

...because satellite has a ton of well-programmed channels that give me music passively

mtn
mtn SuperDork
12/17/10 12:11 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote: Was always more a CCR, Mamas and Papas, Jim Croce type. If you're going to sing, tell me a story when you do sing. Which makes me a ballad lover. Otherwise, hush up and make some music, don't just torture a good instrument. Which is why I also love Pavarotti, Beethovan, Hendrix, Ostroushkol, Prince, Cash and many others. And, have no trouble stringing them together in the same sentence.

I'm with you. Its why I like a lot of folk music and bluegrass.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
12/17/10 7:58 a.m.
Jay wrote: I suspect I'm going to be in the minority here, the vast majority of this board seems to like "'70s rock or rock that sounds like '70s rock" almost exclusively.

BTW--have you seen the stuff I post up semi-regularly? I think one song smacked of 70's rock.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eO4lmpD5h4nIT1uwghiXLUt1l1uSherJq0D1xdUpTiE6vEK4iDiQYq64v0wgqQwx