1 2 3 4
Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/21/11 2:57 a.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE47er6qnqg

Found this the other day, can't stop listening.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
2/21/11 8:13 a.m.

I suggest you all check out nderwater's blog... He's been posting some awesome stuff recently.

nderwater, i'm going to get my old hard drive fired up, then i'm going to start bombarding you with requests. I hope that's ok.

minimac
minimac SuperDork
2/21/11 8:27 a.m.

It's tough to beat Kraftwerk. Daft Punk tries and comes close, though. While not trance, Kraftwerks' electronica stuff is still light years ahead anything else.

Jay
Jay SuperDork
2/21/11 10:13 a.m.

D'oh, keep forgettting to post in my own thread. Here's a pretty sweet set I ran across a couple weeks ago. It's been getting lots of playtime...

http://www.ektoplazm.com/2010/artha-fluori-dolby-ep

Actually there's a lot more good stuff on that site too. Just browse around.

chknhwk
chknhwk Reader
2/21/11 4:59 p.m.

In reply to Jay:

Interesting. I haven't listened to all of it yet but it reminds me of Aphex Twin a bit.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
2/21/11 5:49 p.m.

all I can say is pandora radio is blowing my mind! Station: Birds Lament Radio - I went there looking for Jazz, and it really delivered more than I could have hoped for...

92CelicaHalfTrac
12/21/11 11:28 a.m.

Let's bump this.

I want to make this stuff.

Sony Acid or Fruity Loops?

Jay
Jay SuperDork
12/21/11 1:00 p.m.

Nice timing to bring this thread back Ben! I literally ended my ten year hiatus and just released my first finished track in a decade yesterday. Get it here:

Proterozoic (the web preview player doesn't work because it's a zip, sorry. Just download.)

Lots of distorted 303 and SH101, also featuring my Access Virus and a bit of Microkorg. I sequenced this in Jeskola Buzz, recorded the synths separately (and re-added them back into the Buzz file as very long samples), so that I had better control of the final mix. If you don't have any hardware you can add proprietary Buzz machines or common format VST/VSTi synths & effects (there are a million freeware ones out there, I can send you some good ones by email if you like.)

Buzz has a great, intuitive workflow for me, but it can be buggy and hard to set up. Renoise is another really nice sequencer/arranger that I sometimes use. It's more polished and professional, but the demo is almost full featured and doesn't expire (but it's only fifty-odd bucks to buy full anyway.) Renoise can't use Buzz machines but it also supports VST(i)s and has some nice inboard effects as well. There are great tutorials for both programs online if you google around.

Acid and FL are also good programs, I've heard totally professional sounding stuff out of both of them, but I don't have either one so I can't comment much. FL can use Buzz machines. I'd suggest trying out as many demos as you need to and you'll find one that just "clicks" with your composing style. Propellerheads Reason is another you may want to look at, it's super powerful but the demo is pretty limited and the full program costs a lot (unless you happen to pick it up in Indonesia, like I did +cough+.)

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
12/21/11 1:15 p.m.

I'll check that out at home, Jay. I look forward to it. Big RjD2 fan here.

I have Fruity Loops on one of my computers, but all those buttons and switches....

92CelicaHalfTrac
12/21/11 1:20 p.m.

I can't get your file to work.

Jay
Jay SuperDork
12/21/11 1:21 p.m.

It's an Ogg (Vorbis) file, newer versions of Winamp can play it, as can XMPlay, VLC and a lot of other freeware stuff. I don't think itunes will though, if you're using that.

92CelicaHalfTrac
12/21/11 1:30 p.m.
Jay wrote: It's an Ogg (Vorbis) file, newer versions of Winamp can play it, as can XMPlay, VLC and a lot of other freeware stuff. I don't think itunes will though, if you're using that.

EWWWW!!!!!!!!! NO ITUNES!!!!!

I'm at work... only have WMP.

I'll check it out when i get home!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
12/21/11 3:22 p.m.

RJD2 and I Monster are 2 of my new favorites...

And I have seen Acid on a buddies system...hes made some really good tracks with it, and a metric crap-ton of useless rubbish. But it seems pretty great, his version apparently came with A LOT of stuff to sample, I mean a whoooole lot. You can also sample any MP3 you have on the system. It seemed very intuitive, and able to do a lot without a monster learning curve.

92CelicaHalfTrac
12/21/11 3:24 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: RJD2 and I Monster are 2 of my new favorites... And I have seen Acid on a buddies system...hes made some pretty good stuff with it, and a metric crap-ton of useless rubbish. But it seems pretty great, his version apparently came with A LOT of stuff to sample, I mean a whoooole lot. You can also sample any MP3 you have on the system. It seemed very intuitive, and able to do a lot without a monster learning curve.

Any idea how well it deals with trying to get one instrument out of a sample or removing vocals?

My only beef with Acid is that knowing me... i would want all the sample packs. And there's lots of them. At $40-$60 a pop, that'll get expensive.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
12/21/11 3:25 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote: RJD2 and I Monster are 2 of my new favorites... And I have seen Acid on a buddies system...hes made some pretty good stuff with it, and a metric crap-ton of useless rubbish. But it seems pretty great, his version apparently came with A LOT of stuff to sample, I mean a whoooole lot. You can also sample any MP3 you have on the system. It seemed very intuitive, and able to do a lot without a monster learning curve.
Any idea how well it deals with trying to get one instrument out of a sample or removing vocals? My only beef with Acid is that knowing me... i would want all the sample packs. And there's lots of them. At $40-$60 a pop, that'll get expensive.

I cant say really, as Ive only been there a handfull of times when he actually was doing work in it. I will ask. I know it can be dont though, just not sure how capable or effort friendly it is...

92CelicaHalfTrac
12/27/11 7:50 a.m.

Hrmmmm.... i have re-discovered Kaskade, BT, and Armin Van Buuren this week...

Which led me to a pretty awesome track:

Jose Amnesia & Karen Overton- Your Loving Arms [Jose Amnesia Sunrise Mix]

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
12/27/11 8:09 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Any idea how well it deals with trying to get one instrument out of a sample or removing vocals? My only beef with Acid is that knowing me... i would want all the sample packs. And there's lots of them. At $40-$60 a pop, that'll get expensive.

I've got RjD2's full discography. I'd be happy to whip an mp3 dvd to ya.

Jay
Jay SuperDork
3/11/12 11:29 p.m.

Gonna bump this thread back up to pimp my new Soundcloud page. Only two tracks so far, one old(ish), one brand new, but more definitely to come soon. Feel free to add me if you've got an SC account!

http://soundcloud.com/jmph-1

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/12/12 11:06 a.m.

I started producing a bunch of (mostly) electronic music after I picked up a Mac at new years. Hoping to have an album's worth to put out eventually - not particularly dance(well, except for one disco track), not particularly trance - kind of all over the place honestly. I need to get some tracks posted online somewhere, I'd LOVE to get feedback from all of you!!!

Jay
Jay SuperDork
3/12/12 4:11 p.m.

By all means post it! Most of my music collection is "kind of all over the place".

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/12/12 8:53 p.m.

Cool, any recommendations on where would be the best place to post it? The last real music I was part of was way before the digital age took over.

Jay
Jay SuperDork
3/13/12 7:35 a.m.

Well, soundcloud.com is pretty popular, it's also a bit social-networkey but works fine as a file host. It has some obtuse restrictions for a free account (e.g. max 100 people can download your song, then you either have to delete & re-up or it's web player only) but nothing too major. They don't collect much personal information either, to register you really just give a username+password+email and you're done.

The best way to get a lot of people to listen to your stuff is to put it on SC and participate a bit in the social networking aspects - leave comments for people, submit your songs to groups, etc. I haven't done much of that but my partner-in-crime Marcos has, and our collaborative / live play stuff gets lots of listens.

Incidentally here's our page for that:

http://soundcloud.com/citadelia

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/13/12 8:05 p.m.

Well I just had a chance to post a few tracks. There's a bit of variety here, so don't give up if you happen to not like the first track you hear.

Please comment and critique!!!

http://soundcloud.com/robot-zombie-overlord

Jay
Jay SuperDork
3/13/12 8:49 p.m.

Cool, just downloaded. Out of the four I think my favourites are Spiris and Brand New Groove, which I really enjoyed, but the other two are also pretty good. Will leave you some more detailed comments tomorrow morning, 2:45 AM here & I'm tired.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/13/12 9:23 p.m.

Thanks Jay, I did a brief tour of your tracks as well and will dig in deeper!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XQZLifL0lR5rqUWArS6Z6N0oAZByggY25xS9OXR5bgGKBDyJVoPKVZm2OzfU7p4N