RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/6/19 9:35 p.m.

While I've got several tables, and a couple heavy ones at that, around the shop, I don't have anything I'd consider secure enough to hold a vise. And I could really use a vise down there to hold metal while hammer it into shape or sockets to knock broken bolts out. 

The vise I already have looks like it would fit on top of a 4x4, but I also have some 4 inch black pipe and some 3/8"plate. 

So dig a hole and bury a 4x4 in cement, or pour a small (12"x12"x6") pad and anchor some plate and pipe to it?

Or the out there expensive(probably) option: somehow mount the vise to a hitch in place of a ball, and use the receiver on my truck or find a way to mount one somewhere. 

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
8/6/19 10:17 p.m.

Hitch vises aren't terribly expensive, and they make receviers with and adjustable height plate that you can mount a vise to.

That would involve the least effort for your problem I think.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/6/19 11:31 p.m.

Yep, second that.  I have hitch receivers mounted into my workbench, so all of the things like vise, bench grinder, etc are all mounted to some 2x2 square stock that I grabbed at the local steel place.

If you do build a workbench, embed a few of these:

https://www.harborfreight.com/class-iii-18-in-x-2-in-standard-receiver-tube-69815.html

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/6/19 11:34 p.m.

mount to steel post not wood post if you go that rout. Better yet get a pie e of lolli column weld a plate to the top and bolt the vice to that.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
8/7/19 8:13 a.m.

I bought a bench grinder stand from Harbor Freight and mounted my vice to it.  Works great and was pretty cheap.

RevRico
8/7/19 11:48 a.m.
Grizz said:

Hitch vises aren't terribly expensive, and they make receviers with and adjustable height plate that you can mount a vise to.

That would involve the least effort for your problem I think.

I had no idea those were only $40. That's worth trying out. 

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
8/7/19 12:04 p.m.

My benchmark for vises/anvils is the one in my dad's garage. Old semi truck wheel with a 4-ish" pipe up to a 1'x2'x1" plate with big berkeleying vise bolted to it. The stand-alone unit with the round base makes it real easy to relocate.

I don't have a vise because I haven't found one that even close to measures up to his for less than a small fortune. I did manage to snag up a couple of old cast elevator pulleys years ago to use for a base for one, though.

Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
8/7/19 12:57 p.m.

^^ X2. Here's mine:

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
8/7/19 1:16 p.m.

I got a little vice and thought I could attach it to random stuff. 

Turned out the first problem was that a bench (or a hitch mount setup) is really neccesary to utilize the potential of a vice, and secondly, a little vice sucks. I've never crossthrearded a vice clamp before, but this one did, and it became junk. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/7/19 1:45 p.m.
WonkoTheSane said:

Yep, second that.  I have hitch receivers mounted into my workbench, so all of the things like vise, bench grinder, etc are all mounted to some 2x2 square stock that I grabbed at the local steel place.

If you do build a workbench, embed a few of these:

https://www.harborfreight.com/class-iii-18-in-x-2-in-standard-receiver-tube-69815.html

Oooo, I like this idea. Nice.

A vise has to be mounted to the center of the earth to be truly useful. If you have tables and you want a vise, build a better table. You'll win overall :)

RevRico
8/7/19 2:14 p.m.

this is the vise in question. Not super duty by any means, but enough for most jobs if properly secured. 

I also have this anchor sitting around looking for a home. I may ask about it in the future, I just know it doesn't fit my drill press and it really hurts when your foot finds it without shoes on. 

WonkoTheSane
8/7/19 6:37 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Yeah, it's awesome :)

I have a base for my tubing cutter, bench grinder and vise.  What I don't have is a mount for cleanliness....

Here's what my base looks like:

Notice the beads on the sides, I built it up a bit to take out wobble.

Gary
Gary SuperDork
8/7/19 9:30 p.m.

Wouldn't it be just cheaper and more simplistic to build a basic 2 x 4 workbench and attach the vise and a bench grinder? I did. 

I used one kit of these kits:

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/simpson-strong-tie-workbench-or-shelving-hardware-kit/0000000221280?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuqK0lp7y4wIVBJ-fCh00FglHEAQYASABEgKzyfD_BwE

And then added some surplus 2x4's and plywood to make a great workbench. My vise and grinder have plenty of room on it.

WonkoTheSane
8/7/19 9:43 p.m.

In reply to Gary :

It's pretty amazing to be able to pop them out and reconfigure at will..  got a long tube you need to hold? Move the vise to the far one.  Got a longer car on the lift? Pop out the bench grinder so you don't have to pinch through there, etc.

Gary
Gary SuperDork
8/7/19 9:48 p.m.

In reply to WonkoTheSane :

Trying to understand ...

RevRico
8/7/19 10:12 p.m.

Because my shop has a gravel floor, so steady, sturdy, and level is a tough order. I've got a solidish bench, a 4ft slab of gym floor inside an 18 gauge steel frame. I can hammer on it, and work on it, but don't want to take up unnecessary space on it. My other tables are plastic folding tables so they can be moved out of the way. 

Between shelving on the sides and the big table at the back, my 23x25 shop has a working area of 15x20, and even less with a vehicle in it. 

So for me, the portability of the hitch receiver style would be awesome, but nowhere for a really solid mount. Which is what makes the truck mounted setup extremely attractive, with putting a pole in a corner to mount one on a mild alternative. 

Someday I may be able to afford the concrete for a real floor that I can secure things to properly, but it's not looking like anytime soon. 

RevRico
8/10/19 2:56 p.m.

so I was looking for something in my scrap pile and found a chunk of exercise machine. Just so happened to fit in my receiver.

I cut it off mostly square, cut that plate out of a giant I beam and welded it in, then drilled holes for the hitch pin.

I still need to mark and mount the vise, but this stood up to me beating it with a 3lb hammer for 5 straight minutes, so I'm gonna say it's solid enough.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/10/19 3:09 p.m.
pheller said:

I got a little vice and thought I could attach it to random stuff. 

Turned out the first problem was that a bench (or a hitch mount setup) is really neccesary to utilize the potential of a vice, and secondly, a little vice sucks. I've never crossthrearded a vice clamp before, but this one did, and it became junk. 

I find a bench crucial, and a SOLID bench at that.

If you're trying to file something, you need whatever you are filing clamped solidly to a large mass.  Otherwise, you're just tickling it and making your file dull.

I like the receiver hitch idea, but I'd want to put some sort of clamp or setscrew in there to keep everything from moving around.

slowbird
slowbird Reader
8/10/19 3:10 p.m.

Plus you can now offer mobile vise services for a reasonable hourly rate! laugh

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
znZtteoqI0WMmZrbpSDM1M2UTunCAkYfZwJ8N4BqVA8vrDVj6wZ6Z2lbhttXE1lo