TopNoodles
TopNoodles Reader
8/28/19 12:27 p.m.

Started up the car this morning, oil pressure plummets. Turn it off, check the dipstick-empty. I ignored the oil smell I had been noticing the last week or two just attributing it to a side effect of a 20 year old open top car. The oil filter had loosened up. I don't of anything that could cause it to happen other than a failure to secure the filter after the oil change. I always check the surface for residue from the old filter. Put in 2 quarts I had at home and drove to work. Picked up more oil at work and topped it off. No strange noises so far, no smoke or loss of power. I guess this means I'm now qualified to be a quick-lube technician. Better check the drain plug just to be sure...

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/29/19 7:52 a.m.

Yikes!

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
8/29/19 8:00 a.m.

Lesson learned...don't change your oil and you won't have this problem.  Duh.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
8/29/19 8:50 a.m.

I have a Miata I bought for cheap due to the prior owner not fixing an oil leak... the bolt holding the oil filter 'adapter' (oil cooler sandwich) came loose, allowing oil to gush out.  I still need to tear down the seized engine to see if it's rebuildable.  The head was trashed.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/29/19 8:55 a.m.

I have seen this before. You got lucky. 

wae
wae SuperDork
8/29/19 9:44 a.m.

The wife's Mazda5 got a K&N oil filter once because they were on sale as part of the "oil change deal" at whichever FLAPS I wandered in to that day.  I didn't notice the puddle in the garage, but after a couple days I heard the sewing machine sound when she started it up and freaked out.  It hadn't lost all its oil, but the filter was loose enough that it needed a big top-off.  I guess you need to crank down that hex head they put on it in order to make sure it's secured?  I dunno.

At least I didn't catch that one on fire...

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/29/19 9:53 a.m.

Probably did some damage to my SL when I had a similar problem. Noticed the lifters clattering after a 40 mile drive where I got bored and revved out 2nd and 3rd a couple times. 2 quarts of oil and magically it's quiet again. Culprit was a loose filter. 

TopNoodles
TopNoodles Reader
8/29/19 1:13 p.m.

I was ready to accept the loss and start pulling parts to sell as soon as I saw the pressure drop. On a positive note I feel like I got a free car.

Now I have to do something about the oil-water mess in the garage that I thought was just water.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sBmkav1lELcAEog0hQmx4aXEgtQkWilYQ74Xzu3x5vc4V9LAiabiztOW1aynPpnd