1 2 3 4 5
llysgennad
llysgennad HalfDork
1/17/23 2:50 p.m.

Clarkson has made a career of being a poo-flinging monkey, whether it's about co-stars, manufacturers, or people he has not/will never meet. He's entertaining, but this was disgusting. I would not have known it was a reference to anything but his wet dreams if not mentioned here. He deserves the fallout, but he won't change because of it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/17/23 2:51 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 said:
Appleseed said:

Huh?!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/17/23 2:54 p.m.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

If it wasn't for the fact that when mixed with Hammond and May,the three of them create guaranteed bankable $$"s of awesome content, he would rightfully have been out of work and unemployable decades ago.

Worse is that his really nasty comments tend to have a few things in common.  First they are usually aimed at people who are minorities, or groups of minorities.  The other is people who have opposing political or world views to him. 

I agree 100% with everything you say here.  I'm not defending a bully troll.

But when everyone says, "What kind of sick berker is Clarkson to think up things like this?!", well, that sick berker was George R R Martin, not Jeremy Clarkson.

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
1/17/23 2:57 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/17/23 3:41 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Don Cherry got fired for saying "you people".

Don't even know who that is. I feel like I accomplished something.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/17/23 3:58 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Hockey player and commentator.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/17/23 4:31 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

I don't really care where he got the reference from. He directed it as something he wants to happen to another person. 

I personally never thought he was funny but I did like the Top Gear show. Which I stopped watching before it was over. 

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/17/23 4:42 p.m.
Duke said:

If it wasn't for the fact that when mixed with Hammond and May,the three of them create guaranteed bankable $$"s of awesome content, he would rightfully have been out of work and unemployable decades ago.

Worse is that his really nasty comments tend to have a few things in common.  First they are usually aimed at people who are minorities, or groups of minorities.  The other is people who have opposing political or world views to him. 

But when everyone says, "What kind of sick berker is Clarkson to think up things like this?!", well, that sick berker was George R R Martin, not Jeremy Clarkson.

George R R Martin wrote a fictional story with an element that warns of the dangers of uncontrolled power based on an imaginary land, in a time frame equivalent to many many hundreds of years ago when torture, slavery, monarchies etc. were normal and accepted.  Clarkson took those words and modified them to make disgusting undeserved and indefensible comments about a person alive today.  Clarkson can't try and hide behind someone else's words when he's twisting them to mean something else.  

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/17/23 6:20 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to bobzilla :

Hockey player and commentator.

Don Cherry? Doesn't he play the trumpet?

1/17/23 6:23 p.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to Duke :

I don't really care where he got the reference from. He directed it as something he wants to happen to another person. 

I personally never thought he was funny but I did like the Top Gear show. Which I stopped watching before it was over. 

Would you think it was funny if he threatened to follow Hammond around screaming and throwing crap at him. Not that he wouldn't do that.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
1/17/23 6:38 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Don Cherry got fired for saying "you people".

No he didn't. He was fired because he was old and no longer fit into the plan the CBC had. They pounced on the fake outrage and used it as a way to get rid of him without having to deal with any negative consequences.

See also: Wendy Mesley

1/17/23 6:38 p.m.
Duke said:

George R R Martin wrote a fictional story with an element that warns of the dangers of uncontrolled power based on an imaginary land, in a time frame equivalent to many many hundreds of years ago when torture, slavery, monarchies etc. were normal and accepted.  Clarkson took those words and modified them to make disgusting undeserved and indefensible comments about a person alive today.  Clarkson can't try and hide behind someone else's words when he's twisting them to mean something else.  

Martin actually said that used English history and in particular, the War of the Roses as inspiration for his story, so in a way it was about the Royals. Cersei Lannister, the character that was humiliated in the TV series was actually a Queen and a member of one branch of the Royal Family. A few episodes later she returned the favor by killing everybody who caused her humiliation to happen, and blew up half of Kings Landing in the process.

Not that Megan would do the same to Jeremy Clarkson, but damn. It's Game of Thrones. Some of these people are actually related to Henry VIII.

1/17/23 6:45 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

The war of the roses was over 500 years ago.  If someone had said what Clarkson said about a royal back then, he'd have lost his head before ye olde daily tabloid had chance to copy it down by quill.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/17/23 6:58 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:
yupididit said:

In reply to Duke :

Would you think it was funny if he threatened to follow Hammond around screaming and throwing crap at him. Not that he wouldn't do that.

No, I wouldn't find it funny. But he doesn't have the same hate and disdain for Hammond like he apparently does for her. What's the point of that comparison? 

1/17/23 7:09 p.m.
yupididit said:
yupididit said:

In reply to Duke :

No, I wouldn't find it funny. But he doesn't have the same hate and disdain for Hammond like he apparently does for her. What's the point of that comparison? 

I don't really understand why he hates her at a cellular level, or how you can actually hate anybody at the cellular level.

I just have a sick sense of humor. Maybe he should have kept his excriment throwing references to people on his own show who have the same sick sense of humor. What he did manage to do is create more buzz around the Royal Couple which is exactly what they are looking for. There is no such thing as bad publicity when your goal is to sell more books.

1/18/23 8:40 a.m.

I bet after he was fired from the BBC, well contract not renewed after he hit a guy, Amazon have some kind of behavior clause in their contract with him.  I wonder if they could just kick him to the curb now and not even finish the GT and Clarkson's farm.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/18/23 9:45 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

I guarantee they won't. It would effect their bottom line to cancel a show midway through filming and no one cares enough that it will effect viewship of the two shows. The public will have forgotten this within a week. Whether they should or not is different.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/18/23 10:03 a.m.

I cant wait to hear about Clarksons new hit show that will spawn from this. 

1/18/23 10:44 a.m.

I bet after he was fired from the BBC, well contract not renewed after he hit a guy, Amazon have some kind of behavior clause in their contract with him.  I wonder if they could just kick him to the curb now and not even finish the GT and Clarkson's farm.

Clarkson didn't hit anybody recently. At least not that we know about.

1/18/23 11:09 a.m.

Didn't mean to imply he had.  He hit the guy while working for the BBC.  I assume when Amazon hired him there is some language in his contract that says if he pulls any other unprofessional/unacceptable behavior he could be dismissed.  When you're an ass once, people tend to have get out clauses for if/when you're a jerk in the future.

1/18/23 11:12 a.m.
yupididit said:
yupididit said:

In reply to Duke :

In one case, he is going after somebody he hates at a cellular level. That I don't really get. Did she do something to him?

In the other case, he is just being crude. Clarkson is always crude. That's his schtick. If you don't like crude, there is other stuff on TV.

1/18/23 11:14 a.m.

Didn't mean to imply he had.  He hit the guy while working for the BBC.  I assume when Amazon hired him there is some language in his contract that says if he pulls any other unprofessional/unacceptable behavior he could be dismissed.  When you're an ass once, people tend to have get out clauses for if/when you're a jerk in the future.

I thought he was hired to be an ass on TV and in his column. Assaulting somebody at work is a different issue.

1/18/23 11:36 a.m.
I thought he was hired to be an ass on TV and in his column. Assaulting somebody at work is a different issue.

And neither is the vitriolic BS he spouted recently about Meghan.  That was a yet another attack using hateful language on another human.

He's still funny as hell when paired with the Hamster and Captain low.  But he's proven time and again he's basically a horrible unrepentant person with a history of attacking minorities and it's time to stop rewarding him and kick him to the curb.

1/18/23 12:14 p.m.

And neither is the vitriolic BS he spouted recently about Meghan.  That was a yet another attack using hateful language on another human.

He's still funny as hell when paired with the Hamster and Captain low.  But he's proven time and again he's basically a horrible unrepentant person with a history of attacking minorities and it's time to stop rewarding him and kick him to the curb.

I don't think the Sun is going to kick him to the curb for this.  Do you know who owns that paper?

Amazon will let him go after he does another season or two, then he will end up with a new show on Fox Sports and Sky News where he will pretty much do whatever he wants. Welcome to the state of the corporate media in 2023.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
1/18/23 12:17 p.m.

He's just not a nice person.  That makes it hard for me to support what the things that I do like that he does.  Same thing with actors, I've chosen to simply stop watching any of their projects once I've found out that they're racists, or bigots.  So I probably won't bother to watch any of Clarksons future projects.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sKerhkGMjyyTLiX9yK5b3UA6kVZKqEJBXWsivcjB4izuav9u3vVkISHFuaHozjP1