Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
8/1/22 2:41 p.m.

I was out and about on Saturday with one of my nephews, and we hit up the antique center up the street. In one of the vendor booths, I unearthed an ancient, yet familiar tome:

Among the back issues of random military periodicals and Cat Fancy Magazine was this issue of Auto-X. You know, "The Grass Roots Motorsports Magazine". 

Wait... that sounds familiar... wink 

How could I say no for $2? I won't dive too much into the content, but it's entertaining to read about the Saleen Mustang right as they were coming out. I completely forgot that they made "Four Eyes" Saleen Mustangs; I always associate them with the 1987-93 cars. 

Also, the ads!!!

Thanks, now I want a time machine so I can go snag a CRX and a pile of Mugen parts. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/1/22 2:44 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

I've had that Mugen steering wheel since 1989! It's hanging in my garage.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/1/22 2:53 p.m.

I heard that magazine ended up doing pretty well for itself. Allegedly.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
8/1/22 2:58 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

That's awesome!

I LOVE the Mugen wheels they offered. They are so wild with all the fins! They look killer on those early CRX's and Civics of that era. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/1/22 3:24 p.m.

I love how the '80s-tastic graphics in that Shelby ad make it look like it's doing a rear-wheel burnout.

And a station wagon, for that matter.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/1/22 3:36 p.m.

Nice. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
8/1/22 3:55 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

I like that the ad gives an actual 0-60 time, as opposed to the 0-50 times that Dodge (and Shelby) were giving out to the earlier cars. Guess the feds stopped caring by 1986!  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/1/22 4:07 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

How could I say no for $2? I won't dive too much into the content, but it's entertaining to read about the Saleen Mustang right as they were coming out. I completely forgot that they made "Four Eyes" Saleen Mustangs; I always associate them with the 1987-93 cars. 

That's cool! I had no idea they made they made them either. Was it only '86 when they went FI or did they build carb'd Saleen Fox bodies as well? 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/1/22 4:09 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

In reply to Duke :

I like that the ad gives an actual 0-60 time, as opposed to the 0-50 times that Dodge (and Shelby) were giving out to the earlier cars. Guess the feds stopped caring by 1986!  

0-60 in just under 7 was not bad back then, I wonder if that needed a shift to 3rd? And I wonder how much quicker that exact same car would be on modern rubber. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
8/1/22 4:24 p.m.
z31maniac said:
Tony Sestito said:

That's cool! I had no idea they made they made them either. Was it only '86 when they went FI or did they build carb'd Saleen Fox bodies as well? 

From what I've read, they started with the '84. They only built three of them that year. By '86, they upped production to around 200 cars. They really started to take off after that. 

A girl I went to high school with had a 1990-ish Saleen in maroon. People said it was a clone, but it looked like the real deal to me. It was real enough that someone stole it right out of the parking lot! She ended up getting it back, but it took a while to correct what broke. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/1/22 5:20 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

The big Ford dealer in town usually had a couple of Saleens in stock in the early '90s.  I remember a white convertible that was there, gone, and there again.  It was eventually sold to some poor shmoe, but reliable word was that it had been joy-ridden and pretty heavily mangled by the dealer's son, fixed in house, then put back on the lot as a new car.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
8/1/22 7:59 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

That's awesome!

I LOVE the Mugen wheels they offered. They are so wild with all the fins! They look killer on those early CRX's and Civics of that era. 

They look like a fan clutch

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XrFky1ArukKUIY7q60pM23rQCocAT5mPxC9kTRyDR356PAoZ6bHaclyVgSVWblp9