1 2
Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/18/20 11:02 p.m.

I was looking on eBay for some 308 Winchester dummy rounds and noticed that people are 3d printing them.  Anyone here want to make some for me?  I'd like more than 308 and I have some different stuff like 260 Remington.  It's be great if you can look up all the specs and print me something I can use to cycle test/practice on my stuff.  You could pay for your printer and I only demand a small royalty for anything you sell on eBay.  Just kidding.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
7/18/20 11:06 p.m.

How many do you need?

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/20 11:44 p.m.

I might want to jump on this bandwagon, too. I could use .308 and some others.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/19/20 12:03 a.m.

I might could be interested. 

Stampie (FS)
7/19/20 12:17 a.m.

In reply to lnlogauge :

I'd like 10 each of:

5.56 NATO

260 Remington

308 Winchester

16 guage

12 guage

22 Short

22 LR

9mm

45 ACP

I may have a problem.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/20 6:20 a.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

It sounds like you should open a combination salvage yard/shooting range. Obviously you'd need make sure the schedule was well documented. 

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
7/19/20 8:09 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Don't worry about the schedule. Parts are free....if you live. 

tomtomgt356 (FS)
tomtomgt356 (FS) GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/20/20 6:47 a.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to lnlogauge :

I may have a problem.

The only problem I see is that you need more! 

Guns are like cars... You can't have just one and once you have more than one they turn into rabbits...

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/20/20 7:20 a.m.

Huh.  I'm feeling stupid right now.  What the heck are they for?

You'd take a "dummy" round, load up a magazine, cycle them through the action?  Why?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/20/20 8:13 a.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to lnlogauge :

I'd like 10 each of:

5.56 NATO

260 Remington

308 Winchester

16 guage

12 guage

22 Short

22 LR

9mm

45 ACP

I may have a problem.

Naaa no problem. Just a subtle way of letting thieves know that another house would be a better choice. 

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/20/20 8:30 a.m.

When I want dummy rounds I just use my reloading machine to load some projectiles into a casing without powder or primer.   

Hand cycles like the real thing, cause they are.

Stampie (FS)
7/20/20 10:02 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Huh.  I'm feeling stupid right now.  What the heck are they for?

You'd take a "dummy" round, load up a magazine, cycle them through the action?  Why?

Practice, practice, practice.  Plus I'm starting to teach Lil Stampie safe gun handling.  Can't do that safer than with dummy rounds.

In reply to jharry3:

I need to start reloading but I'm also wanting a color like orange to ID the dummy rounds.

In reply to dean1484:

I once was having problems with minor vandalism.  No real damage but stuff stupid kids would do.  I was living in townhomes so everyone was close to each other.  After a couple of weeks of this going on I walked out one Saturday morning and preceded to clean my guns in the driveway.  Never had that problem again.

The0retical (Forum Supporter)
The0retical (Forum Supporter) UberDork
7/20/20 10:42 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

You can also intermix them with live rounds when practicing.

In addition to practicing the tap-rack technique for clearing the weapon, it's a pretty good way to check if you're jerking the trigger or tensing up in expectation of the discharge.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/20/20 10:46 a.m.

I would ever so slightly undersize the casing so the extractor isn't yanking hard on a plastic rim. 

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
7/20/20 11:42 a.m.

If I were to reload dummy rounds I think I'd spray paint them so you could tell them apart.  Or something. Of course paint track off on the action probably isn't a great idea either. 

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/20/20 12:01 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to lnlogauge :

22 Short

22 LR

Fun fact.  #4 hollow wall anchors work as dummy rounds for 22 LR.  I volunteer instruct marksmanship (Appleseed) and we use those all the time for drills.  I have loaded a mag with five and had them all cycle; more than that and they jam in my Marlin mags. You can cut one short for 22 Short.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/20/20 12:07 p.m.

In reply to The0retical (Forum Supporter) :

Well, thanks for the elucidation.  Been shooting for decades.  Never knew they were a thing.

https://www.concealedcarry.com/safety/simple-and-effective-why-you-need-to-use-dummy-rounds/

moltar
moltar New Reader
7/30/20 1:43 p.m.

Made a couple test prints yesterday, function check was mostly successful - the 223 didn't chamber fully on the first try and it took a couple of attempts to extract it, but after that it went in and out as expected.  22lr chambered and extracted normally with a bolt gun (did not test semi-auto).  In other words, there will be some minor fitment required before they reliably chamber and extract.  Emery paper works well.

Still want them?  The CAD pack I am pulling from is missing 22 short and all shotgun variants, I'll have to try and find them elsewhere because I lack the abilities necessary to create the models.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/20 2:23 p.m.

In reply to moltar :

Why yes I am still interested.  Got a price in mind?

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
7/30/20 2:23 p.m.

If you want to print me a Howitzer round, I'd pay for your time.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2667268

My grandfather fired these in WWII and I have an empty shell, but would like a round to make a display.

moltar
moltar New Reader
7/30/20 3:01 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

I don't want any money.  Consider it a partial down payment for the entertainment you have provided, I quite enjoy reading your antics.  I'll shoot you a PM once they are nearing completion for a shipping address.

In reply to Apis Mellifera :

That is awesome.  Should be an easy couple of prints.  You want both of these parts?  The model calls the green part a Fuze and yellow part the Shell.

Stampie (FS)
7/30/20 3:54 p.m.

In reply to moltar :

You don't have to do that.  Plus I think others are interested if you want to do some side work.  

moltar
moltar New Reader
7/30/20 4:15 p.m.

It's a hobby and I have no interest in trying to turn it into work.  When I first bought the printer I wasted so much plastic on useless trinkets, now I get excited whenever I can print something useful.  Besides, the software estimates 11 .223 rounds at $0.60 worth of plastic and 4 hours of print time.  It takes little effort from me and the printer would be sitting there idle otherwise.  I've seen you guys drive across state lines to help another board member so shut-up and take some free bits of plastic  smiley

Stampie (FS)
7/30/20 4:45 p.m.

In reply to moltar :

Yes dear.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
7/30/20 8:32 p.m.

In reply to moltar :

Yes, that would be outstanding!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.