1 2
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/22 2:41 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

The first upgrade to any home office chair is:  wheels & tires.  Get some rollerblade wheels for it.  Much improvement.

Checking out this mod now...

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/28/22 3:20 p.m.

Personally I am a die hard Steelcase Leap v2 guy. One of the best purchases I've ever made at $300.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/28/22 3:30 p.m.

Since I get the wife's cast offs to use in my shop, my only requirement is that the wheels roll reasonably easy.  

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/28/22 3:55 p.m.

So just for poops and snickers, I get up and flip over this old chair a friend of mine gave me years ago.  It's a Steelcase.  Model 4331223.  Manufactured in the last year of the previous millenium.  A bit more plastic than I'd like to see in a chair, but it's still in good shape and it's pretty comfy.

If it ever breaks, I promise I'll replace it with a hand made Viking chair.laugh

Edit:  I do have one other chair up here.  It's an oak office chair my Dad brought home when they closed up the iron foundry where he used to work, back in the 70's.  Suspect it was made in the late 1940's, early '50's.  I refinished it in the early 1980's.  I suspect it will last a good while longer.  Resembles this one:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2F2d%2F15%2F57%2F2d1557829c5338189e6f4d48d656c7e4.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
7/21/22 4:34 p.m.

UPDATE: Not sure if it's a coincidence or not (I suspect not). I've been using the chair for less than a month and my lower back is KILLING ME!! There's not really any lumbar support, so I'm thinking it's the chair. I've contacted the company about a return. I'm afraid it's going to cost me a mint to ship it back. I really do wish there was a used office furniture store near me. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/21/22 4:45 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

In post #1 you mention that the Humanscale WOTC has a 30 day return policy.  Does that mean you have to self pay the return shipping?  
Do they at least send you a shipping label, even at your cost but with their shipping volume discount?  

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
7/21/22 5:06 p.m.

It'd be sweet if someone made a folding ergonomic office chair. 

My wife and I are both hybrid, but for the next couple of months, maybe longer, we'll rarely be working from home at the same time.

Being able to put away the chair when its not in use would be sweet. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/21/22 5:12 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to DrBoost :

In post #1 you mention that the Humanscale WOTC has a 30 day return policy.  Does that mean you have to self pay the return shipping?  
Do they at least send you a shipping label, even at your cost but with their shipping volume discount?  

I went to the website to find return info but what I noticed first was that the chair is 8-10 weeks backordered.  Considering that, maybe list it on FB for full retail price.  Just having one that can be gotten now might be reason enough for someone to buy it.  

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
7/21/22 5:13 p.m.

EDIT: Apparently folding ergonomic chairs are a thing, sweet! 

https://nymag.com/strategist/article/best-foldable-ergonomic-desk-chair.html

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/21/22 5:19 p.m.

This pair of deluxe folding chairs would class up any home office!

classy chairs

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/21/22 7:28 p.m.
pointofdeparture said:

Personally I am a die hard Steelcase Leap v2 guy. One of the best purchases I've ever made at $300.

I sat in one of those at my office for many many long days. Great chair and easy to find used. Like the Aeron, it is the type of chair that corporations purchase by the hundreds and then sell to wholesalers when they move or remodel. 

At home I have an Aeron size 3 (large) that I grabbed from a former employer when an office was shut down. It has new wheels and recently a new hydraulic cylinder - Love it. 

Edit - I have carpet in my home office. Carpet with a pad. I bought one of those plastic mats but it is too small and it's cracking.

Anybody have a good recommendation for padded carpet solutions? Can you get big "feet" rather than wheels?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/22 9:08 a.m.

I have a Herman Miller Mirra. Highly recommend these. 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
7/22/22 9:12 a.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to DrBoost :

I'll let you know. I got a response last night to my e-mail and filled out the info they requested. We'll see what they say. I'm glad I kept the box and packaging. 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
7/22/22 9:13 a.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

Roller blade wheels. You can buy them from Amazon.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
7/22/22 9:14 a.m.

I like the Mirra and the Leap V2. I like the Mirra for the mesh seat bottom, the Humanscale chair has a mesh seat bottom. Let's just say that's a welcome feature in Florida in the summer LOL.  But I'm REALLY considering the Leap V2. I haven't heard one negative comment on that chair. 

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
7/22/22 10:05 a.m.

This thread made me realize I have never purchased an office chair in my entire life. I have always scrounged them from somewhere. Office closing, side of the road, relatives upgrading, whatever.

When I worked at Year One whenever someone left their chair was immediately up for grabs. You could tell the lowest person in the pecking order by the condition of their office chair. Missing an arm rest and stained like a HAZMAT site? Yup, that's the intern.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
7/22/22 11:25 a.m.

In reply to slefain :

Hahaha. Same here! I bought a used chair at the beginning of Covid, but this is my first new purchase. I've bought cars that were less than this chair LOL. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/22/22 6:00 p.m.

Having a mesh seat to fart "through" rather than "into" is quite nice. 

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
7/22/22 6:18 p.m.

I wanted a mesh seat and back for the heat as well as a less restrictive exhaust. I want to try the SteelCase Leap but it looks like it'll feel warm.

A couple months ago I tried the Intuition by Uplift Desk. Their showroom is nearby and it felt fine there so I bought one. I don't have back issues so most chairs are fine but the lumbar support sticks out too far and I wasn't comfortable after an hour, and it's not adjustable. Plus the headrest only had tilt adjust and every position had it touch the upper half of my head. It was probably made for a taller person. Returning was easy on their side but FedEx kept not showing up.

TL,DR: for the money everything should be adjustable

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
7/26/22 11:30 a.m.

Update: the return experience with Humanscale has been simple. They sent an RMA and return label. FedEx is (hopefully) going to pick it up today. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/26/22 12:22 p.m.
1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cYsVqLLkNTsolQf1CUSnDdHEzT6utpIuQMQiLZwXYqA2cf4psRpvE8Ktv24RMCYt