David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/13/22 1:46 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

This rules. 

Katie Suddard
Katie Suddard Advertising Coordinator
9/13/22 3:42 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

If you're not cutting off the bottom, but you still want that fabulous mustache, you could always stitch a fake one to the mask. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/22 9:22 p.m.

In reply to Katie Suddard :

Great idea, I'm pretty sure I have to leave it over my mouth so I'm picking up a mustache to glue on. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
9/14/22 8:55 a.m.

Costumes are for nerds...  Sorry I'm late!

My first Cincy Comic Expo had Captain Chaos and a very well done ambulance that I tried to get him to come autocross with us.  See if I can find the photo.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/14/22 10:49 a.m.

ok, im totally gonna shove in on this thread because I am trying to plan out a costume for an event right now too. Not my first time wearing a costume, but probably my first time trying to pull off something of decent quality that's not 'off the shelf'. 

For the challenge this year, I'm planning to bring Red the X1/9. MrAsa had the excellent idea of going as 'Red Squadron' members from Star Wars. That's the x-wing group that shot down the first death star, amongst other things. 

Therefore, a costume that harkens to this would be ideal. Mix it in with some racing/autox detail flair for the cherry on top. 

Classic Star Wars on Twitter | Classic star wars, Star wars luke, Star wars  1977

I'm thinking I can start with my firesuit (which is red, but might be close enough) and black racing shoes, tied up over the legs of the suit. I can probably dig up a pair of black gloves, and some nylon straps (maybe even my arm restraints). Which leaves the white vest, the communicator/respirator/whatever box on the chest, and a helmet. 

of course you can just buy these things, but because star wars, the cheap stuff is expensive (and cheesy) and the expensive stuff is expensive. Should I get to work painting an old helmet or is it possible that we know people who have already done a great job making this stuff and I could borrow? Are there places where I can rent star wars costumes? 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
9/14/22 10:50 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Katie Suddard :

Great idea, I'm pretty sure I have to leave it over my mouth so I'm picking up a mustache to glue on. 

I can't wait to see the final product!

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
9/14/22 10:55 a.m.

Also, I read this book earlier this year and I give it a strong recommendation for any maker. Adam obviously works in a slightly different realm of the maker space than most diy car builders, but still was a fun read. 

If you like cosplay, the book is straight up your alley. 

Every Tool's a Hammer: Life Is What You Make It: Savage, Adam:  9781982113476: Amazon.com: Books

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
9/14/22 6:36 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

ok, im totally gonna shove in on this thread because I am trying to plan out a costume for an event right now too. Not my first time wearing a costume, but probably my first time trying to pull off something of decent quality that's not 'off the shelf'. 

For the challenge this year, I'm planning to bring Red the X1/9. MrAsa had the excellent idea of going as 'Red Squadron' members from Star Wars. That's the x-wing group that shot down the first death star, amongst other things. 

Therefore, a costume that harkens to this would be ideal. Mix it in with some racing/autox detail flair for the cherry on top. 

I'm thinking I can start with my firesuit (which is red, but might be close enough) and black racing shoes, tied up over the legs of the suit. I can probably dig up a pair of black gloves, and some nylon straps (maybe even my arm restraints). Which leaves the white vest, the communicator/respirator/whatever box on the chest, and a helmet. 

of course you can just buy these things, but because star wars, the cheap stuff is expensive (and cheesy) and the expensive stuff is expensive. Should I get to work painting an old helmet or is it possible that we know people who have already done a great job making this stuff and I could borrow? Are there places where I can rent star wars costumes? 

Dude, if SWMBO hadn't scheduled our Galaxy's Edge trip for the first week of November, and I knew I would never drive OH-FL twice that close together, the red Miata was going to be there as "Red (MX)5".  I had a simple grey harness made, bought a Black Series X-Wing helmet, boots and gloves from my other Star Wars costumes, all I needed was a cheap orange flight suit...  Imagine that faux pas!

I cut vinyl for my white helmet to match the AT-AT drivers.  If you're looking for the remaining stuff like suit, chest box, etc Amazon had a few options.  If you're already making black shoes work, cheap gloves etc no sense in worrying about authenticity.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
9/14/22 6:43 p.m.

Cincinnati Comic Expo 2015

Cincinnati Comic Expo 2014

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/14/22 7:57 p.m.
Jerry said:

Cincinnati Comic Expo 2015

Cincinnati Comic Expo 2014

Wow! Thats dedication!

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/22 12:31 a.m.

Today was the day, the mask I bought was spandex and they weren't happy stitching on it so she put vinyl on from a Cricut.  It came out great but after a few hours the sweat dislodged some letters.  Sadly I am the oldest in the group, and no one had seen or heard of Cannonball Run.  During the day one elderly Indiana Jones commented on it. My girlfriend went as Barf, and was a bit better recognized. This was a lot more fun than I expected.  

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
10/9/22 11:29 a.m.
Jerry said:
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Dude, if SWMBO hadn't scheduled our Galaxy's Edge trip for the first week of November, and I knew I would never drive OH-FL twice that close together, the red Miata was going to be there as "Red (MX)5".  I had a simple grey harness made, bought a Black Series X-Wing helmet, boots and gloves from my other Star Wars costumes, all I needed was a cheap orange flight suit...  Imagine that faux pas!

I cut vinyl for my white helmet to match the AT-AT drivers.  If you're looking for the remaining stuff like suit, chest box, etc Amazon had a few options.  If you're already making black shoes work, cheap gloves etc no sense in worrying about authenticity.

Dude that would have been awesome!! Imagine 2 xwings at the challenge....

Looks like my plans are changing right now as well, but maybe next year?

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/9/22 2:11 p.m.

You both look great!  Maybe try sticking the letters on with a little hot glue for next time. Glad you had fun.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/9/22 2:20 p.m.

That's funny people don't know what Cannonball Run is.  Kids these days.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h1W0qkrg122HcqPIRwmBR6TtsFlzh1yYLRrqUk9315sotNRQFtiCrHSJI5ygPzti