1 2
Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
4/21/17 12:20 p.m.

(Placeholder comment to check whatever I have in the garage that's worked very well for me the last 2-3 years, cordless and all. It's green, I know that.)

Brian
Brian MegaDork
4/21/17 6:10 p.m.

In reply to mattmacklind:

Just hold out for the Chicago Electric and not the Drill Master.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/21/17 6:47 p.m.

I've invested in the Kobalt 40v system, and have had their line trimmer for two seasons now. I hate line trimmers in general, but this one has been the best so far. I'm pleased with the weight, battery life and performance.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
4/25/17 9:26 a.m.

In reply to Jerry:

OK, so I spotted this at Aldi of all places. Caught the ad too late, as they sell out to quickly. After buying auto feed levers again to replace it on my old B&S corded, I ended up picking up a B&S cordless that was on sale for $55 that takes the same spools as my corded one, so I can keep using my stock. Anyway, I was close but no cigar on HF. Looks like Aldi beat them to the punch but if you're not there when they show up you're out of luck as you can't call the store or order on line. They were gone within a day.

photo Aldi Weedeater_zps6jdscrgl.jpg

slefain
slefain PowerDork
4/25/17 2:53 p.m.
mattmacklind wrote:  photo Aldi Weedeater_zps6jdscrgl.jpg

Damn, only available in Australia.

einy
einy Reader
4/26/17 6:27 p.m.

Love the Ryobi 24volt that I have. Line was supposedly non-refillable, but I figured out pretty quick how to do it. Been in service three years now and its still going strong. Yard is 2/3 acre with tree line trimming part of the every other trimming routine, with sidewalk and driveway edged every time. Makes me wanna replace the gas powered pita to start blower REAL soon !!

oldrotarydriver
oldrotarydriver New Reader
4/27/17 2:38 p.m.

And here I went the opposite direction with a Toro gas-powered device, because I'd been fast-pitching Black & Decker batteries downrange every five minutes. I'm dealing with a 1/2 acre of fence line, trees and hedges, so trekking back to the house every 10 minutes for another dead battery got old fast.

The new cordless trimmers may be good, but save your sanity and avoid Black & Decker. "Fool me twice, shame on me!"

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/27/17 2:45 p.m.

I also bought the 80V Kobalt. It works really well. It will easily trim my entire yard on one charge at least once. I have a small yard, but definitely a few hundred feet of linear fence line and house-border to trim.

A plus is that it will accept the generic add-on attachments Lowes also sells. I bought the blower for sweeping the sidewalk after mowing along with a hedge trimmer and pole-saw (with extension).

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/27/19 3:14 a.m.

Spam deleted 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
9/20/22 7:43 a.m.
Furious_E said:

So what's the argument for going gas nowadays? Is it just the battery capacity limitations and fear of the new and different still driving people to the dinosaur powered trimmers?

I'm in the market for a trimmer as well, actually almost posted a thread of my own the other day. I've been looking more at gas trimmers, partially due to fear of range limitations (from what you lot are saying sounds like that won't be a problem) and partially because I feel like I can fix it if it ever breaks (which it almost certainly will more frequently than the electric trimmer.) Perhaps I'm just a Luddite.

To me, its the value and keeping stuff out of landfills.

• Edger is a Tanaka TLE-600 - $75 at a swap meet, needed the carb cleaned
  • Trimmer is a Tanaka TBC-255 - $10 at a swap meet, just runs and runs
  • Blower is a Stihl BG-55 - $30 at a swap meet, needed gas
  • Mower is a Toro TimeMaster - $175, needed a bearing unit rebuild and new belts

Add all that up, its a $1200 edger, $200 trimmer, $150 blower, and a $1200 mower.   Total investment is around $500.  Way more horsepower than I need for a residential lot, but it kept good stuff out of the landfill, uses a few gallons of gas a year, and just keeps running.  Clean everything and put it away at Thanksgiving with some Sta-Bil in the gas and you never have to worry about batteries being dead or going bad.  

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/20/22 10:50 a.m.

I'm one of those Milwaukee bigots.   Enough said.

Surprised no one mentioned the lack of neighbor irritating noise.  smiley

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
9/20/22 11:24 a.m.

Electric mowers that can do well on my 1 acre lot arent finacially viable, but as far as a string trimmer?

I got a Kobalt 48V and unless I was bushwacking a big area of major overgrowth, I dont see needing gas.  Its quiet, its easier to just pick up and go get the work done, you dont wind up smelling like exhaust (or gas), you just pop the battery off the charger and go to work. Way less trouble than gassing and getting a carb'd trimmer up and running. 

I have a running gas trimmer, I havent used it in 2+ years. I'd probably have to clean the carb again if I went to use it. I should probably just sell it. 

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean HalfDork
9/20/22 12:34 p.m.

Im totally biased because I played a big part in designing this tool, but it is impressive.  It also can be converted to a blower, edger, pole saw, tiller...  Ect with additional attachments.

https://www.dewalt.com/product/dcst972x1/60v-max-17-brushless-attachment-capable-string-trimmer-kit

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/20/22 12:42 p.m.

I've got a Stihl KM 111 R combi powerhead that I picked up new to replace my old 85 powerhead that started having issues. Super powerful but also heavy and with my back issues was getting to be a PITA when trimming. I have a lot of Dewalt 20V stuff so I picked up their stick trimmer to try as it is only 7 lbs. So far it works ok. I ran through the trim line it came with and I replaced with a thicker stuff my Stihl used (I have a huge spool, so yeah, it's getting used first). The guide with trim line cutter couldn't cut the new line so I removed it and used side cutters. As long as I'm just trimming and not bushwhacking this things works well. If I'm in the deep weeds it will warm up pretty quick (head and battery) and once let the smoke out of the head. I figure if it self-destructs within the warranty period I'll just exchange it. At ~$100 (tool only) it's been worth it so far.

MattGent
MattGent HalfDork
9/20/22 4:08 p.m.

Zombie thread, but I'll add that I went all in on EGO battery yard tools and they work great. Mower is more than sufficient for a small to medium residential yard.  Trimmer has a lot of power, blower is just enough.  Edger is fine too.

solfly
solfly Dork
9/20/22 6:11 p.m.

I like my 20V Dewalt 

wake74
wake74 Reader
9/20/22 7:49 p.m.

Another M18 guy. The power head runs my string trimmer, edger, and hedge trimmer. Although I should have bought the larger M18 blower. The small one isn't quite enough for my needs.  I have officially vanquished all the mixed gas tools from the shop. 

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/24/22 9:09 p.m.

I'm a big fan of the M18 stuff. Have the string trimmer, and the quick-lock with the pole saw and brush cutter. As someone else mentioned, beyond not worrying if it will start, I can be out in the yard at any time and the neighbors would never know. I can't do that with my Tanaka brush cutter!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zSJ0qITWdTPDpTTaTLayjy0eZBUskHaQMXYzgwz03OyUiCd5PcJMi7Wfja4MMkrs