wake74
wake74 Reader
5/23/22 6:26 p.m.

I've decided I should do something with this fancy IPAD Pro from work other than watch hockey by the pool (the screen on these things are impressive).  For my big brother employer who probably monitors all my internet posts, I also use it for checking email / Teams etc while traveling :-)  I generally carry an old school note book to meetings in which it would be inappropriate to sit in front of a laptop, and peck away.  I'd like to upgrade from my note book to something a bit less 1985.

What I'd like:

1. Basic to-do list, but want script to text as an option. It would be nice if "checked" items moved off to the bottom, or to a closed list.

2. Ability to take informal meeting / call type notes, only for my personal use, again with script to text as an option.  On my current project, OneNote is the norm for formal meeting documentation.

3.  I want to be able to open the platform on my Ipad and laptop.  So hosted, sync'd, etc.  I don't need it to be collaborative.  

The obvious choice is to just set-up OneNote to do this, and I'm quite familiar with that platform, but Microsoft gives Apple the middle finger by purposely not allowing script to text on their Ipad version of OneNote (scribble doesn't work either).  Magically it works fine on a MS Surface. My Ipad case has an integral keyboard, but if I'm going to type during a casual meeting, might as well haul the laptop.

I have looked at some "electronic planner" software that have script to text, but I'm not interested in going to a full planner package, as my life already revolves around my Outlook calendar (30+ meeting weeks are the norm).  I don't want a meeting calendar and a planner calendar (and yes, I get that "calendaring" and "planning" are different things).

Anyone have any favorite software platforms for informal notes / to-do lists or other thoughts?

andy_b
andy_b New Reader
5/23/22 8:17 p.m.

Since you have mentioned Teams and OneNote I suspect you have access to Microsoft Tasks.   This should integrate well with Outlook, OneNote, Sticky Notes, etc.  That may have the same weaknesses on iPad as OneNote however. I haven't investigated the script to text on that platform. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
5/23/22 9:22 p.m.

If you can deal with a single page, I have a cheap boogie board from Amazon.

wake74
wake74 Reader
5/23/22 9:32 p.m.

In reply to andy_b :

Haven't ever messed with MS Tasks, but see there is an App for that on the IPAD, will mess with that some tomorrow.  I see where it can pull in flagged emails onto your tasks list so that is convenient.  I think I could use Apple Notes, which does script to text pretty well, and still get to that on the laptop via a web interface to Notes.  If OneNote would do script to text, I would use that.  But from some quick Googling, I'm obviously not the first person with that grief.  Evernote seems to do some of this as well.

wake74
wake74 Reader
5/23/22 9:35 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50 :

Haven't ever heard of a Boogie Board, but man those are inexpensive, like $30 bucks on Amazon when I looked.  I'm hoping my $1200 IPad has a few more features than that or I (and by I, I mean the company) paid too much :-)  Interesting gadget though if you were teaching the kid handwriting, or wanting to hang something on the fridge to jot down a shopping list.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/22 9:47 p.m.

I have been using Evernote for a lot of years, originally because of how well it worked on the iPad and iPhone. You can get teh basic version for free, but the paid version is cheap and worth the annual fee. 

wake74
wake74 Reader
5/23/22 9:59 p.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

I have been using Evernote for a lot of years, originally because of how well it worked on the iPad and iPhone. You can get teh basic version for free, but the paid version is cheap and worth the annual fee. 

Thanks for the reply, a few basic questions:

- Are you typing into Evernote or using a stylus on your IPad?  I see on the web-site it does OCR to scan your handwriting, but don't really see where it does script to text.  I may find handwriting my notes on an Ipad more trouble than it's worth.  

- Are you syncing it to an Outlook calendar?  I see it set-up to sync to a google calendar.  A quick google search pulled up some 3rd party apps to get your outlook calendar into Evernote, but I haven't watched those videos yet

wae
wae PowerDork
5/23/22 10:07 p.m.

I use OneNote on my Surface but I won't touch the handwriting-to-text feature.  I just have digital handwritten notes and it works great.  When I first got the surface I played with the recognition and found that I spent more time going back and correcting it than it was worth.

But then, I have pretty bad handwriting.

wake74
wake74 Reader
5/24/22 5:07 p.m.
wae said:

I use OneNote on my Surface but I won't touch the handwriting-to-text feature.  I just have digital handwritten notes and it works great.  When I first got the surface I played with the recognition and found that I spent more time going back and correcting it than it was worth.

But then, I have pretty bad handwriting.

My gut feeling is that I'm headed in this same direction.  I like the thought of script to text, but so far it's not been inspirational.  Maybe I need to spend more time at it to better understand the pencil shortcuts.   I would like to get to a To-Do list that is text, and script to text, even if the quick notes stay in script.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TU3ozMcIDDG5i0ec7HP1KAtd2a86cjqamsmhy1aJUiFhVGmWDmy1XHmjuf2SxgsP