1 2
Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/20/22 8:56 p.m.

I found a property that I like.  The way I understand the story is it was listed.  An offer was accepted but problems caused the buyer to get out of the contract.  Then I guess it was taken off market but I contacted the agent that listed it.  They told me of the problems.  I asked to look at the property.  In doing so learned more from neighbors.  Anyway my gut feeling is it's off the market and this agent doesn't have an agreement with the owner.  What I'm hoping is to buy it.  I don't want to walk in saying oh this is my agent deal with them. I want the agent to know they're getting to the whole commission to incentivize them.  I just need someone to advise me if willing.  Florida experience would be great as we're dealing with Flood Zone A and X plus some wetlands.  Willing to pay in hugs, alcohol or cash on the side.

Realtors usually sign contracts with sellers for a specified period of time.  Even though the owner and realtor may not seem to be actively working together, that realtor probably still has a contract.

As you have already contacted the sellers realtor, and if there is a contract in place, you will be dealing in some way with that realtor.

My suggestion is to find a realtor you trust to represent you going forward.

In most cases studies of on-line county property records can find you the name of the current property owners, and you could try to contact them directly... usually through mail.  Search county tax assessor or property appraiser, find parcel on their maps.

Usually each Florida county has rules about how close you can improve land that has a designated wetland.  If you are building I would try to have all structures on the "X" portion to save lots on risk and insurance costs.

We recently viewed property in your area and decided against when we tried doing a layout and saw how little space was really available for use on the parcel.

67LS1
67LS1 Reader
11/20/22 9:32 p.m.

Are the problems anything that would keep you from getting a mortgage or insurance? I know where I live "wetlands" will make most buyers walk because of the multiple state or federal agencies and local do-gooders that will insist that they ge5 a say in absolutely anything that you do on any portion of the property, near the wetland area or not.

Stampie
11/20/22 9:40 p.m.

In reply to 67LS1 :

I have the wetlands inspection and think I can work around the setbacks.  Don't think mortgage or insurance will be an issue as out of the 8 acres there's enough on high land that I can build what I want.  The wetlands issue is why the last buyer walked.  Seems people in this area want to clear cut lots and build.  I'd be limited to about an acre out of the 8 to build on.  Enough for me and added bonus is a wetland wooded lot that I can walk naked without neighbors seeing me.

In reply to Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) :

I have the address of the seller but it's a PO box and my internet stalking suggest it might be an old address.  I don't mind dealing with the realtor I just want to make the deal with as little drama as possible.  So far I've driven 1.5 hours to look at the property twice only for the agent to give me info both times afterwards that I needed while I was there. 

That sounds like the same parcel we looked at.   surprise

Will you be able to survive the mosquitos?  When we were at the parcel we were considering a few months ago, we about got carried away.

Another thought.  We have had an unusually dry last few months, what will it look like when wet?

Stampie
11/20/22 9:53 p.m.

I walked checked it out the day after Nichole went over it and was impressed at how well it drained.  I've always said that I'm not made of sugar so the bugs leave me alone.  I thought about that but I have plans.  Were you looking in the Gainesville area?  Say near a track we both know?

I sort of remember it as Bradford or Union County.    Looked at 4 that day.  One clear down at Fowlers Bluff.

Stampie
11/20/22 10:01 p.m.

OK not the same lot although if you want I'd be up to a multi housing lot to share with you.  I mean just image the E36 M3 that could come out of that marriage.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/20/22 11:28 p.m.

I thought the title meant a realtor had touched you inappropriately. Then I saw who posted... and assumed you had touched a realtor inappropriately blush

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
11/21/22 12:43 a.m.

So, the realtor has an expired listing. Unless there is proof you were in contact with them before the listing expired they have nothing. What they do have is all the contact info and some kind of relationship with the owners(good?bad?)

If the owners don't want to enter into a new 6 month listing contract and you want to pay a realtor, the realtor can approach the owners with a single party(you) listing agreement. The realtor only gets paid if YOU close the deal and the owners aren't locked in to any relationship with that broker/realtor.

As for flood zones and wet lands. Be sure to check any FEMA maps to see if there is a new proposed build line set backs if it is a velocity zone. Wetlands can be dealt with many times by paying to make other wetlands areas better. It all depends on if the wetlands are part of a larger area or a small isolated patch.

We have a property in Ohio that had a wetlands study done on it and they found about 1000sqft in the middle of a 1.7acre lot. We came to an agreement with the state/feds to donate to some group that restores wetlands. It wasn't a lot of money but they had areas closer to lake Erie that they were working in and our "wetlands" wasn't a problem anymore.

Stampie
11/21/22 2:24 p.m.

In reply to jgrewe :

Sounds like you know we'll more than I do. Are you a realtor?  I'm looking for advice on stuff like what contingencies do I put into a contract in a situation like this. I'm willing to pay for you to hold my hand. 

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
11/21/22 3:40 p.m.

Not officially a realtor. I was, in Ohio, but decided against getting my license in Florida when I bought some property. If I make a mistake with a rental as a "non-professional" its just,"Oops, I didn't know." If I'm a Realtor I get my pee-pee slapped and fined or lose my license. My father was a broker/developer/investor for about 60 years and I've been in the game for about 30 or so.

Your money is no good on this forum, lol. I'll help you any way I can. If you want to send me the info you have, I'll take a look at it and look for red flags.

Stampie
11/21/22 3:53 p.m.

In reply to jgrewe :

Ok cool. I appreciate it. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
11/21/22 5:12 p.m.
Stampie said:

I'd be limited to about an acre out of the 8 to build on. 

Is that your opinion, or is that what the flood zone map shows?

If the property is in a flood zone, you will be required by the lender and insurance companies to carry flood insurance (on top of homeowners). Expect it to add at least $5000 per year in additional insurance costs. 

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/21/22 5:49 p.m.
SV reX said:
Stampie said:

I'd be limited to about an acre out of the 8 to build on. 

Is that your opinion, or is that what the flood zone map shows?

If the property is in a flood zone, you will be required by the lender and insurance companies to carry flood insurance (on top of homeowners). Expect it to add at least $5000 per year in additional insurance costs. 

Yes, Flood insurance premiums are going up everywhere.  My friends and relatives in South Louisiana are getting hit.   Another thing going up is home insurance in hurricane zones.  Wind damage was most of the losses from Baton Rouge down to New Orleans from Hurricane Ida in Louisiana in 2021.  Premiums are doubling in some cases.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/21/22 6:24 p.m.

Hey. We can't  expect insurance companies  to keep paying reasonable claims, like they singed up for! If they can't make a 600% profit, why be in business at all? 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
11/21/22 6:52 p.m.

If you are going to pay a realtor a fee he needs to be on your side and look out for your interests, 

Not also getting a fee from the seller .

Do a Google search with the address and see what comes up , if it was listed there will be something on Google.

If you do not care about the commission ,, here it is 6% , Then get your own realtor  , let him get half of the commission and let him contact the seller.

As far as flood zone , ask around and see when the last time it was checked , hopefully in the last year or 2 , the county will know that.

I bought both my houses without a realtor and had the title company do the paperwork.

Good luck

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
11/22/22 9:30 a.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

You just touched on a point that needs elaborating in.  Flood lines are redrawn every few years typically.  The more development done upstream creates more flooding downstream.  Something to consider.  

Stampie
11/22/22 9:37 a.m.

In reply to spitfirebill :

About half the property is Flood Zone A and half X. Last done in 2006 so a while ago. The property that drains into the creek is owned by a timber company and leased to a hunt club. Hopefully it won't ever get developed. I talked with the wetland report guy yesterday. He'd have to do a full report but said it would basically be like a survey saying you can build here, here, and here but not here. My conversation with him made me feel better about everything. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
11/22/22 9:51 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Don't know anything about the county this property is in, but you may be looking at FEMA maps.  Some counties have their own flood plain info.  Greenville County, SC is very heavy handed in dealing with this.  I'm not trying to scare you off this property, just don't want you getting screwed after the fact.  Do your due diligence.  Sounds like you are well versed in it now.  

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
11/22/22 10:25 a.m.

Those realtor commissions are negotiable. If you are going in with a buyers agent and there isn't going to be any kind of split between a listing agent and selling agent you should be able to cut the commission in half. It will be up to the broker the agent is working for but I would bring it up.

Stampie
1/6/23 11:28 p.m.

Under contract and thank you jgrewe for a lot of behind the scenes help.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/6/23 11:47 p.m.
Stampie said:

Under contract and thank you jgrewe for a lot of behind the scenes help.

Are you gonna change your user name to Swampie?  laugh

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
1/7/23 12:18 a.m.

Congrats on the contract! I hope you got a better deal than you thought you could. One last thing I will say is that it isn't done until you are walking away from the closing table. So, besides this thread among your close personal friends, just keep quiet and put out the fires as they come to keep the deal moving to the closing.

I don't know how back logged surveyors are around there but get on their schedule asap.

Stampie
1/7/23 7:35 a.m.

In reply to jgrewe :

Surveyor is the last thing I need to get done. I emailed them yesterday but haven't heard back yet. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2VAojClBtuuDrooNR4R7AyEGzjqL98bqg1AXAcoWzOrTrULo1Rw72chloDO1F4e7