1 2
barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
11/24/21 11:05 a.m.

Glad this popped up again. As expected, they've deviated from the books, but that was always going to happen. IIRC, they're planning 8 episodes per season and the shortest book is 600 pages. Still, the acting is fantastic, the characters have depth even where they're not exactly as portrayed in the books. They are done well and I think overall the general story is easy to follow for those who haven read the books. 
I binged the first three episodes and am eagerly awaiting Friday's next installment. 

Wife has been reading the first book and the show is already past where she is, so she had a bunch of questions that I don't want to answer. I'm hoping that watching the show and seeing the ending before she reads it may keep her from reading the rest of the series. 

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
11/24/21 12:07 p.m.

Tried watching the 1st episode several times. Can't get into it. Pass

I did read the book. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/24/21 12:09 p.m.

I couldn't finish the first episode. Deviation from the books is expected but the semi - major one is.......weird.

The actor that plays Lan is great, even if he's not a super tall guy.  Moiraine is terrible so far IMO, none of the rest of the cast really has done enough to really judge so far although the actor that plays Mat seems good

So far I'm thinking more Starship Troopers( the movie) rather than Starship Troopers ( the book). If you haven't read the book, basically they aren't really the same thing or even on the same level of goodness. Having said that, I got tired of the series towards the end but loved the first few books. 

I'll still give it another go, and my wife wants to see it, she's never read the books either but.....I'm not hopeful

Toymanswife
Toymanswife Reader
11/26/21 6:00 p.m.

Unfortunately,  my aunt, RJs widow, had very little control over how this all came down. Once this type of thing happens, they may put your name on it but it's just the name. The second season is already being filmed so accurate or not, they think this is going to sell. All I can do is hope my uncle isn't turning over in his grave. 

11/26/21 6:33 p.m.
Toymanswife said:

Unfortunately,  my aunt, RJs widow, had very little control over how this all came down. Once this type of thing happens, they may put your name on it but it's just the name. The second season is already being filmed so accurate or not, they think this is going to sell. All I can do is hope my uncle isn't turning over in his grave. 

I guess the author that finished the books, Sanderson?, Is involved and that kinda makes sense. I very much didn't like his writing at all.

The first book is my favorite, so if this season is my favorite storyline? Wow.

I watched the first episode thru with my wife and it was worse than I first thought. The.....dance routine for the magic is pretty bad imo.

As for selling well, most reviews I see really harp on the diversity of the cast the most. While that is good, really......that's not saying the series is any good

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
11/26/21 11:06 p.m.

They were always going to have to change some things. More than a little. Some of the changes are bigger than others. Sanderson was consulted a bit with regards to season 1 production, but iirc he said he won't be doing more. 

Id say episode 4 is the best so far. And I've enjoyed them all. Some of the foreshadowing from the books, a lot of the things I didn't pick up on my first time through, is done very well I think. Different than I pictured some of it, but very well done. 

Not for everyone I suppose. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/27/21 1:04 a.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

I guess the author that finished the books, Sanderson?, Is involved and that kinda makes sense. I very much didn't like his writing at all.

I haven't watched the series.  I read enough iffy previews of it to know that it was likely to annoy me so I stayed away until it was actually released, and what I'm reading now isn't really changing my mind.

As Shaun says, Sanderson wasn't involved in the series very much.

As far as the last three novels (the Sanderson ones) go, I felt they did a pretty good job of wrapping up the series.  There's definitely a difference in tone, and I got the sense that for a couple of plot lines he was just as tired of them as most of the readers were so he stuck a knife in them as quickly as he could.  A number of the characters have a quite different feel in Sanderson's writing, but for most of them there are plot reasons why the characters might have have significant growth around the end of book 11, so IMHO it works overall (not going into specifics because spoilers).

There are also a couple of Power uses that just scream Sanderson -- if you've read any of his other books you'll know how much he likes to play with interesting corners of the magic system and the major use of balefire against a fortress (again being vague) has his name written all over it.

All in all, I felt that Sanderson did a very good job, as good as you could expect from anyone and better than most would have.  It shows respect to the world that Robert Jordan built and wraps up the story well, without just being a pastiche of Jordan's style (which wouldn't be appropriate).

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
11/27/21 6:49 a.m.

The wife and I are enjoying it quite a bit. I only ever read the first book over 20 years ago, so remember almost nothing. I recall being left with a sense that it was good, but not engaging enough for me equal to its length to want to continue the series.

I think my biggest complaint has been the characerization of Rand and Mat in episodes 2 and 3 seeming to jump back and forth being intermittently petulant and whiny in a way that didn't fit the situation they're in, seemingly taking turns at being a complete dickhead.

Also not sure what I think about the characterization of Moiraine. She's being kind of crudely cagey about everything. It feels almost likely they started with a character that was subtle and manipulative in a way that readers wouldn't quite know her agenda and if she could be trusted, but were afraid TV audiences wouldn't be able to get it, so they resorted to simplified devices to telegraph that idea that don't fit with someone who would actually be good at spying and manipulating. As we get to episode 4, I think they finally take enough time to engage in actual character development for her and Lan to not resort to caricature, and begin softening into believable and relatable complexity.

I don't really care one way or the other about casting diversity. I don't really feel like its forced. I feel like they're using it to show that the world is big enough to actually have multiple ethnic groups interacting with each other. I just need to forget that it's clearly filmed in the UK (look at how all the trees are in neat lines in every forest), and imagine it's in a location more like central Asia.

I kinda shrug that Moiraine is too tall and Lan too short. Those details aren't critical to a good story. It does bug the heck out of me that none of the Warders wear any practical armor.

11/27/21 1:59 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

Admittedly I had checked out of the series a book or so back by the time Sanderson was onboard but I still really didn't like his take on the characters.

It's sad because a lot of long running series end up losing momentum, Sword of Truth is a great example there. I think The Dresden Files are the only one I can remember reading over 10 books that I really enjoyed.

Not having Sanderson involved is promising for me, is the 2nd episode in significantly better than the first?

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
11/27/21 2:11 p.m.

Not having Sanderson involved is promising for me, is the 2nd episode in significantly better than the first?

Dunno what you'll think of the second. I think it really picks up in Episode 3 and gets serious momentum in Episode 4.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/27/21 4:10 p.m.

Wife and I tried to watch last night. Much like the Christmas Fruitcake, it felt like it had too many ingredients and no idea what was really going on. Maybe half an hour and we bailed. None of the characters were relatable and if there was a plot to be had I did not hang around long enough to get it. 

Shame cause we had high hopes.

barefootskater5000
barefootskater5000 PowerDork
12/11/21 12:42 a.m.

Some fairly large breaks from the books in the last two episodes. Im ok with it, especially seeing as it was always going to have changes for any screen adaptation. 
Some of the changes are more situational, and some are more fundamental. I may start a spoiler thread if there's any interest in discussing such and how it might play into future events/books/seasons. The last scene in ep 6 really caught me off but I think I've reasoned it out. 

12/14/21 1:17 p.m.

Sat down and watched 2,3,4. They are definitely better than the first episode and 4 was downright interesting.

The main problem I have is the acting is at times, brutally bad. Thom was a good addition though not exactly as a pictured him when I read the books but good changes are welcomed.

I will say after 4 episodes I don't really like any of the characters and that's a bit odd since I liked them in the books.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
12/30/21 1:14 p.m.

So, I somehow managed to finish the entirety of season 1 with my wife. I hated it so badly that I signed up for Rotten Tomatoes just to give it a half-star review.

The books are quite long and that's difficult to translate to the screen, so I understand that they had to make changes, but I feel many of their changes were poorly done and not even in the spirit of the series. I think each season should be 10-12 episodes, not 8. With only 8 episodes, even the simplified story they've churned out comes across as a jumbled, confusing mess.  It's like they've completely rewritten the entire thing, aiming to tell a dumbed-down, predictable version of it, and they've even failed at that.

Very very mild spoiler (not really a spoiler):

At the end of the series when the 4 Aes Sedai are linked, the one in control says "I need more!" and you can hear a jet engine winding up. When we saw that, my wife looked at me and said "who the eff wrote this e36 m3?"

I definitely won't be watching season 2. I started rereading the books, hoping I can scour the show from my mind.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/30/21 1:19 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

It's actually filmed in Czech Republic

barefootskater5000
12/30/21 2:08 p.m.

In reply to infinitenexus :

Yeah I think I'm a bit on the "unsatisfied" list these days. Some breaks from the books are inevitable, so you'd expect a bunch of simplifying and streamlining, but not changing the whole magic system or adding a bunch of characters and love interests. I'm especially disheartened because it looks like most of the additions look like political/social pandering to me. Not to get all political, but difference≠inequality. The one power is two halves of a whole. Saidar and saidin are separate, one is tainted and one is not. The dragon was always a man. There were only 3 ta'veren. Perrin was never married... I could go on. It's just that with the obvious need for so much to be omitted, why would they add so much? If you don't have room for the story as is, don't embellish.

That scene at the end when the sisters are burnt out, as you mention, is a sticking point. Not plot critical, but the books are very clear that a linked aes sedai cannot be overdrawn in such a way. The apparent Traveling in an earlier episode is another. Egwene in the Women's Circle, why? Whitecloaks cutting off hands to murder chanelers? I wouldn't put it past them, but still. The whole Logain thing was grossly mishandled and a waste of an episode. Mat's dysfunctional family was just too much. No reason to add drama where is doesn't exist. None of it bodes well for future plot changes either.

There were things I liked. Thom was changed but very well done. I liked the depiction of the Ways, but not the Waygates. The Blight was different but not in a bad way. Loial was good. The tinkers we're done very well. 

I'll likely watch season 2 but if they don't step up the game significantly I'll not feel any remorse missing the rest. 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
1/8/22 8:56 a.m.

In reply to barefootskater5000 :

I agree with you. I think the tinkers were done very well also, probably the best part of the show. The rest of your points, I agree with. In a series that's already very diverse, they decided to go overboard, and I think it definitely goes into the realms of pandering.

Here's one of the things that drove me nuts: how the locals of Emond's Field were cast with actors from all different races. That's the exact opposite of the book, and making Emond's Field a multi-cultural place is problematic for several reasons. First, it's pretty well established in the books that no new blood has gone into Emond's Field in centuries, so everyone has sort of homogenized into being white with brown hair and brown eyes--making it super multicultural just isn't realistic. Second, that monoculture is important, because there's ONE GUY in particular that just so happens to be half a foot taller than everyone else, and he's the only guy with red hair and gray eyes, and he sticks out like a sore thumb, at least in the books. In the show, it becomes a moot point. Everyone looks different, so it doesn't matter than the one main character looks different. 

Nynaeve has turned into a superwoman and has defeated a trolloc in hand-to-hand combat, done some kind of uh, force explosion and saved the day multiple times, cursed out the Amyrlin Seat (to which the Amyrlin went all soft and was like "Oh Nynaeve, pwease, we weally need you"), and the list goes on. They should call it the Nynaeve show.

They completely ruined Lan. In the books he's known for saying "Death is light as a feather, duty heavier than a mountain." In the show he's soft-spoken and is seen screaming and beating his chest when some no-name warder dies. What the hell? Also, instead of a tall, heavily armed warrior that's usually wearing a breastplate and/or his color-shifting cloak, he's now some generic hollywood samurai. I also noticed they gave the actor a bunch of scars...on his back. No scars on his chest or arms. Lan is legendary with a sword, so why would he be getting slashed across the back constantly?

Mat in the books: young, charming rogue. Honorable but brash and crass. Plays practical jokes. Flirts constantly.

Mat in the show: Young, homeless-looking jerk that robs his neighbors, is a prick to everyone, then abandons everyone.

I could go on and on, but overall it's a poorly cast, poorly done show that cares more about social pandering (and I say that as a very liberal person) than about telling a good story. It's a jumbled mess that's overly rushed and makes us care very little about the characters.

barefootskater5000
1/8/22 9:49 a.m.

In reply to infinitenexus :

Agreed on everything.
I'll not waste time harping on about my complaints, and I'll try to keep an open mind going into season 2. An open mind and seriously diminished expectations. That's all I have to say about that. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/8/22 9:58 a.m.

My wife turned it off about 10 minutes into the last show in disgust.

From the standpoint of the Jordancon crowd she hangs out with, it's horribly done and in no way relatable to the book series. 

She's pretty sure her uncle is rolling in his grave. 

1/8/22 11:39 a.m.
Toyman! said:

From the standpoint of the Jordancon crowd she hangs out with, it's horribly done and in no way relatable to the book series. 

It's sad when they do this kind of stuff to a good series. It makes me wonder why they even bought the rights. Amazon is reeeeeeaaaallllyyyy pushing it though, I saw an article where they were comparing it to the Lord Of The Rings movies and said WoT was better..wtf

Anyone read The Dresden Files and watched the show? This kinda reminds me of that except the Dresden show was watchable

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/8/22 12:04 p.m.
Toyman! said:

It's sad when they do this kind of stuff to a good series. It makes me wonder why they even bought the rights. Amazon is reeeeeeaaaallllyyyy pushing it though, I saw an article where they were comparing it to the Lord Of The Rings movies and said WoT was better..wtf

Anyone read The Dresden Files and watched the show? This kinda reminds me of that except the Dresden show was watchable

Try being a Witcher fan and watching season 2. Holy E36 M3, they got EVERYTHING wrong. I'm glad I don't have streaming services, because it seems like the garbage shows far outnumber the good ones.

barefootskater5000
1/8/22 12:19 p.m.

It really seems like Amazon is forcing a lot of press about this too. I don't think it bodes well for the upcoming LotR series. Say what you will about Peter Jackson, and I don't have much that's nice, but he did a pretty good job with the trilogy. He can kiss my ass with the abortion he made of the hobbit, but the trilogy was done quite well within the limits of a screen. Is bezos gonna riff on that? The books? Silmarillion? Original content? My excitement level is pretty comatose on the whole thing. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/8/22 12:40 p.m.
barefootskater5000 said:

Say what you will about Peter Jackson, and I don't have much that's nice, but he did a pretty good job with the trilogy. He can kiss my ass with the abortion he made of the hobbit...

Peter Jackson isn't even fully to blame for The Hobbit. There were so many issues with that film's development that he got shouldered with it. Between Guillermo del Toro spending two years working on it and then having to step away, MGM's dire financial state, the studio dragging a very reluctant Jackson in to try and salvage things, then they insisted Jackson shoehorn Legolas in to draw in female moviegoers, etc. The issues there were multilayered and a lot of them were out of Jackson's control, he just tried his best to make it work.

1/8/22 1:19 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Really? Damn, I liked witcher and was gonna sit down and binge the second season

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/8/22 1:39 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

They introduce an important character and completely botch his characterization only to kill him in the same episode. The kingdom of Nilfgaard is weirdly made a religious cult when Nilfgaard in the books and games has no religion and suppresses religion in all conquered territory, a weird new villain The Deathless Mother is introduced rather than using any of the many many existing antagonists, major moments completely out of sync with established characters

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
v1rXagaKejCK1fP5o3DxFgpY8LyAhWx2cYBEE2SACVmyMVzWwgxcqUqMNesN7uq4