1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/24/20 10:05 a.m.

Some of the talented folks on here have surely done their own Phosphate coating or Parkerizing.  Care to share your experience?

I'm working on restoring the hood hinges on the '66 Chevy II, and I got to poking around, trying to find details on the original finish, etc.  Turns out it's black oxide, or phosphate coating.   A little youtube viewing, and I find people cutting open old batteries for manganese dioxide.  Shoot.  I just got pure MnO2 from ebay for pocket change.  I ain't hacksawing old batteries.

Long story short, the recipe is simple, the procedure is simple, and I'm going to give it a try.  Got a line on an old aluminum stock pot, gonna set it on my Coleman stove outside and do me some Parkerizing!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/24/20 10:14 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

I've got an old Remington Model 11 that was built in 1908 (or 18?Cant remember off the top of my head) that I'd love to clean up and parkerize. 

EDIT: 1909. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/24/20 10:23 a.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

I've got an old Remington Model 11 that was built in 1908 (or 18?Cant remember off the top of my head) that I'd love to clean up and parkerize. 

EDIT: 1909. 

Yeah, based on my reading, I'd probably be afraid to take that on.  Some of the guys mention that you shouldn't do precision parts or pins or stuff like that because it can change the tolerance on parts.  On a hood hinge, probably not a concern.  On an antique firearm, might be a concern.  Also, the matte finish left from sandblasting is said to be ideal for Parkerizing, and I'm not sure I'd want to sandblast your old Remington.

I mean if it's rough anyway and not particularly valuable, I guess it might be worth a shot. 

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
4/24/20 11:20 a.m.

There is really easy parkerizer in a bottle that works great on a small scale for gun parts.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/24/20 11:28 a.m.

IT's really really rough. It's had a hard life and is worth about $3

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/24/20 11:38 a.m.
bobzilla said:

IT's really really rough. It's had a hard life and is worth about $3

Well, in that case you should get some kind of fine blast media and give it a try.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/24/20 11:39 a.m.
84FSP said:

There is really easy parkerizer in a bottle that works great on a small scale for gun parts.

Agree that I could buy a prepared solution, but I'd need a bunch.  Plus shipping.  Turns out the recipe is so easy, there's no reason not to DIY.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/24/20 11:53 a.m.

I've got a Japanese copy of a Webley revolver that my dad brought back from Occupation. He decided to store it in a plastic bag, in the Florida humidity.

Might be a good candidate.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/24/20 1:14 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Indeed!  I guess he needed to put a few packets of Silicagel in the bag with the revolver.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oyZ26tFVXhkEnIvmXo1SU4plgZzFDuWgPcOnzR9kGYlUfThnpyOY1ygWxrwoDFiH