1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
11/16/20 11:25 a.m.

I'm trying to avoid buying new glass for the 66 Chevy II.  The windshield is new.  I'm working on the side glass and I've got it pretty darn clean, but still there are waterspots on the outside surface that don't come out.

I'm using a product specifically intended for polishing old glass, and it says it removes waterspots.  I've applied it two or three times with a wool pad in a drill motor, but I still have waterspots.

Suggestions?

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/16/20 11:30 a.m.

The latest Roadkill Garage had a great product recommendation for this, I'll have to go back and find it.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/16/20 11:54 a.m.

Barkeeper's best friend and 0000 steel wool 

If that doesn't work, then bon ami and 0000 followed up by barkeeper's BF and 0000

solfly
solfly Dork
11/16/20 12:06 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

The latest Roadkill Garage had a great product recommendation for this, I'll have to go back and find it.

came here to say this. it's called sparkle

STM317
STM317 UberDork
11/16/20 12:50 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

I'm trying to avoid buying new glass for the 66 Chevy II.  The windshield is new.  I'm working on the side glass and I've got it pretty darn clean, but still there are waterspots on the outside surface that don't come out.

I'm using a product specifically intended for polishing old glass, and it says it removes waterspots.  I've applied it two or three times with a wool pad in a drill motor, but I still have waterspots.

Suggestions?

Is there a build thread for this 66? Thx in advance

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
11/16/20 3:36 p.m.
STM317 said:Is there a build thread for this 66? Thx in advance

Thanks for your interest! 

No build thread, but I ought to assemble some old pics and write a brief history. 

Bought car in 2005.

Slow progress.

Went to local shop for paint.

Car is home for some "final assembly" including wiring, interior, and various other components.

This is the car right after it hit the shop:

Honsch
Honsch New Reader
11/16/20 5:43 p.m.

Just get some cerium oxide for polishing optics. Years ago we used jeweler's rouge for polishing the Brewster windows on high power lasers but it has been replaced with cerium oxide as it cuts faster.

STM317
STM317 UberDork
11/17/20 6:58 a.m.

Id love to see some more about the car. I was raised by a devout Nova man. I was nearly born in the front seat of one (snow storm made getting to the hospital a little tricky). Anyway, I've got a 64 in the garage that I need to get motivated to do something with. Always like to see what others are doing

Kramer
Kramer Dork
11/17/20 7:45 a.m.

Vinegar.  

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
11/17/20 8:24 a.m.

Bon Ami original formula cleaning powder: https://www.bonami.com/product/bon-ami-1886-formula-cleaning-powder/  When you're done with the windshield you can use the rest to clean your kitchen and bathroom.  smiley

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
11/17/20 8:41 a.m.

Aren't those powdered cleansers abrasive enough to scratch glass?

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
11/17/20 9:50 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Bon Ami won't scratch glass.  We used to use it to clean microscope slides because of that.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/17/20 10:05 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

As others have said, not Bon Ami. I use it about once a year on my windshields. 

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/20 10:08 a.m.

If you want to start a little milder, I've had some good experience with Griot's Garage's Fine Glass Polish on my E34 that had really bad waterspotting on the windows. I still had to use Barkeeper's Friend and 0000 steel wool for the tougher spots, though.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
11/17/20 10:46 a.m.

There's more than one Barkeepers Friend product.  Which one do you recommend?

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/20 11:24 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

I used whatever I found under the kitchen sink, which is probably not the recommended approach.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/17/20 11:40 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

The powder, not the liquid or gel. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
11/17/20 12:36 p.m.
Honsch said:

Just get some cerium oxide for polishing optics. Years ago we used jeweler's rouge for polishing the Brewster windows on high power lasers but it has been replaced with cerium oxide as it cuts faster.

are there different  "grits" of  cerium oxide  ?  and if so  what the best for automotive glass ?

Thanks

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
11/17/20 1:47 p.m.
STM317 said:

Id love to see some more about the car. I was raised by a devout Nova man. I was nearly born in the front seat of one (snow storm made getting to the hospital a little tricky). Anyway, I've got a 64 in the garage that I need to get motivated to do something with. Always like to see what others are doing

I will do my best to get some kind of build thread/summary up.  It's really my wife's car, and she had one many years ago.  My first car was a Mazda RX-2, and I'm more of a rotary nut with an inclination towards classic British roadsters (Triumph TR-6) and older Porsches, while she leans towards classic muscle, especially Chevrolets.

Regardless, the children have dominated our time and restricted our cash outlay, so we haven't gotten to indulge our passions for cars as much as we might have otherwise.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
11/17/20 5:30 p.m.

You should buy the Acadian front clip I have in my backyard to confuse and delight your friends.

I got nothing for the glass.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
11/17/20 6:32 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Bon Ami has two different formulations. Their "1886 formula cleaning powder" is safe for glass.  Their "powder cleanser" is not recommended.

Barkeeper's friend is safe for glass.

For other products (Ajax, Comet, etc.) you'll have to look it up, they may be too harsh.

Honsch
Honsch New Reader
11/17/20 11:08 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:are there different  "grits" of  cerium oxide  ?  and if so  what the best for automotive glass ?

Thanks

It probably does, but I'd just get an auto glass polishing kit from amazon that comes will all you need.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/20 10:55 a.m.

Eastwood sells a powder for this.  It might be cerium oxide.  Kind of a rusty orange color.

You mix it with water into a paste and polish using a grinder and a pad.

I suggest sifting the powder first.  I mixed some up and had a chunk that didn't dissolve and I put a swirly scratch in some glass.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bALQsVAuA2aRmcCecIhgCcmCuyToHHKAMG0UIsDtGhNdJRdUp6b70dVtMjufBWMS