1 2 3
kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
7/30/19 8:30 a.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

Sent you the sample part in the mail yesterday.  Looking at it again, half of it is in really good shape, the other half is trashed.  If you can scan half, then mirror it for your digital file, it just might work. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/30/19 9:20 a.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

Awesome! It shouldn't be a problem to get an accurate model then.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
7/30/19 10:40 a.m.

Could these be aluminum? 

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
7/30/19 11:06 a.m.

In reply to fidelity101 :

I don't think so.  The metal on the strikers is pretty soft.  I suspect aluminum would tear them up pretty quickly. 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
7/31/19 8:17 a.m.

was wondering if that would be a good work around for strength. We don't have our plastic printers yet but maybe when things change I can revist this for you. 

RacetruckRon
7/31/19 4:14 p.m.

Ran home on lunch today and found an envelope from Kazoospec.  USPS was not kind. A little bit of krazy glue we are back in business.

I have it modeled up as best I can for now. Going to print it in ABS/ASA and Carbon Fiber filled Nylon tonight.

Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
7/31/19 7:00 p.m.

Don't forget that you can 3D print plastic around a metal insert - in case what this thing really needs is the strength of metal and the slide-ness of plastic. (I don't know anything about Miatas but I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express and we insert 3D print on occasion at my work.)

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
7/31/19 9:03 p.m.

Did the best I could packaging without putting it in a huge box.  Did they break dance on it or something?  

RacetruckRon
8/5/19 1:27 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

You should be receiving a package today with some pieces to try out.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
8/5/19 3:43 p.m.

Sweet.  Thanks!  I'll try to get you some feedback within the next day or two. 

RacetruckRon
8/23/19 9:37 a.m.

Bump.  I recently picked up a new printer that works a lot better for small, high-detail parts like these.  I have made a couple changes to my design from the last samples I sent to you kazoo. I'll let you know when I have a set for you to try out.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
8/23/19 11:03 a.m.
RacetruckRon said:

Bump.  I recently picked up a new printer that works a lot better for small, high-detail parts like these.  I have made a couple changes to my design from the last samples I sent to you kazoo. I'll let you know when I have a set for you to try out.

Wow.  That looks pretty impressive.  Is it injection molded, because it seems to have less of the "layered" look of a 3D printed part?  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/19 11:22 a.m.

Huh. You guys never talked to us, did you? Because I was holding a 3D printed late NB top cap just a couple of days ago. We’re looking at a way to bring them back to market. 

RacetruckRon
8/23/19 11:27 a.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

3D printed on a SLA Resin machine. The layers are 5-10 times thinner than FDM.

RacetruckRon
8/23/19 12:07 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Are you guys looking to injection mold these or is 3d printing still on the table?

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
8/23/19 2:15 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Huh. You guys never talked to us, did you? Because I was holding a 3D printed late NB top cap just a couple of days ago. We’re looking at a way to bring them back to market. 

Trying to remember if I talked with you guys or not.  Everybody's website said some variation of "No longer in stock.  No further stock expected."  I know I talked directly with Moss and one other, but the "other" may have been Mazda racer support, not you all.  

Keith Tanner
8/24/19 2:23 p.m.

Websites only tell you what is currently available, not what’s in R&D. I’m going to say you did NOT talk to us or you’d remember :)

Keith Tanner
8/24/19 2:23 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

Are you guys looking to injection mold these or is 3d printing still on the table?

How many would you like to buy?

Toebra
Toebra Dork
8/24/19 7:51 p.m.

A pair for every Miata I own.

so two, and mine are okay right now.

This sort of reminds me when I was looking for the seal that goes across the top of the windshield and the outside on the door jamb for the 914, or the seal for the airbox at the bottom of the windshield, actually a lot of things like that.

Flyin' Miata already has hero status, I think.

morngkilr
morngkilr
6/9/22 11:11 a.m.

Wanting to revive this old thread... is there an stl file avail for printing these little buggers? My new to me '04 Miata needs 2 of these. I have looked into flying miata but the fact that i am in canada would bring the cost of these things to 20$ a piece instead of 4.99 lol kinda hefty :-P

Keith Tanner
6/9/22 1:20 p.m.

Little cheap stuff across international borders is surprisingly difficult to manage as a business, sorry about that.

For those in the US or placing a bigger order, these have been for sale for a few years now. We've shipped a LOT of them. Same price as the factory part.

https://www.flyinmiata.com/default/03-05-top-lock-cap.html

I don't know of a good model out there for them, but I have to admit I haven't looked all that hard. We spent a fair bit of time on ours, it's a fairly organic shape.

morngkilr
morngkilr New Reader
6/11/22 9:37 a.m.

yeah if i do go the route of FM ill probly order like 10 of em just to even out the shipping cost :-/ theres is absolutely nothing avail here in canada so far. at least i havnt found anything sadly

Keith Tanner
6/11/22 11:19 p.m.

We had a fellow at Summer Camp who is thinking of stocking some FM stuff north of the border. I put a bug in his ear that these would be a good product to carry :)

morngkilr
morngkilr New Reader
6/12/22 9:27 a.m.

dear lord this is awsome news. 

I wonder how long it takes to ship these things domestically... ill be spending 3 nights in Atlantic City at the end of the month, perhaps I can have a few shipped to my hotel 

Keith Tanner
6/12/22 1:15 p.m.

They'd probably ship Priority Mail, so less than a week and probably about 3 days. US Mail is faster than Canada Post. Order them the week before you leave and they'll be waiting for you at the hotel :)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6LzV0zF7oXYmJyZy9NuuuSSDXSnDegqoq6tDem2zbFiUhx0zdScGoiAE2dwNK8Ip