1 2
Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/17/10 4:02 p.m.
cxhb wrote: My dad has sleep apnea, it took YEARS of feeling like crap for him to finally get tested. Sure enough he had it and was told to use the CPAP machine. After about two months of getting used to it, he now wont EVER sleep without it.

My father won't either. He goes camping with his scout troop every other month and built a little kit to take it with him. He picked up a boosterpack with a 110 inverter and it runs all night. Unfortunately the used to use his snoring to keep the bears away

alex
alex Dork
2/17/10 4:37 p.m.
NGTD wrote:
alex wrote: Hmm. I snore like a chainsaw, but sleep like a log. I think my girlfriend has mentioned the stopped-breathing-for-a-second thing, but I think I've only done that a couple times, and only when I've been drinking, and I never jerk awake. I know my dad does that pretty often, though, and I definitely learned how to snore from him. Interesting.
BTW, I was NEVER aware of waking up. You don't really awaken, only your body does.

Yeah, but I'd hear about it if i was doing it. Trust me. I get to hear about my snoring all the time.

But that's okay. You should hear her talk in her sleep!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Reader
2/17/10 5:58 p.m.
ManBearSTIG wrote: I had an incident, the night before last, where I woke up unable to breath. Seemed as though I had swallowed some saliva down the wrong tube. Let me tell you, that was some scary stuff. Took a good couple minutes to be able to breath again. I made mention of it, and someone asked if I had sleep apnea. I seem to fit the criteria, and symptoms, but haven't setup anything to get tested.

A non medical opinion because its the web, are you sure you don't have GERD or something along those lines. If your pyloric valve lets a bit of bile up past a certain point in your esophagus your lungs basically shut off, like you cannot get any air in, but you can get it out. Heart rate goes through the roof and you feel like you are suffocating to death. Its kind of like a dry drowning death body senses fluid and shuts off the lungs to protect itself.

Apnea is a different condition.

stroker
stroker Reader
2/17/10 6:56 p.m.
ManBearSTIG wrote: I guess my question is, does anyone here have it? And what is YOUR remedy.

yes. surgery, called a "u-p-p" in med-speak

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Reader
2/17/10 7:16 p.m.

Another vote for the CPAP machine. Do it if they tell you it'll help. Yes, it's a minor PITA to use. So what? You get your life back.

For total weirdness, some research last year indicated that learning to play the didgeridoo (an Australian aboriginal musical instrument) helps sleep apnea sufferers because it strengthens your throat muscles or something.

Not sure I wouldn't rather listen to snoring. DEFINITELY sure I'd rather listen to a CPAP machine.

mk2mer
mk2mer New Reader
2/17/10 8:06 p.m.

I have it. I have it BAD!! My sleep study said I stopped breathing 80 times an hour (I know. Seems like too high a figure but that's what they said). I have a BIPAP machine. CPAP is constant pressure. BIPAP lets off pressure during exhaling and makes it easier to breathe.

I have to admit, I stopped using it about 2 years ago and know I need to get back to it. I have to use a full-faced mask (think fighter-pilot) and it's annoying. My girlfriend says I still stop breathing in my sleep so best get it out. Nice side benefit is that it has a humidity tank on it. Keeps you nice and moist in the winter months.

Hocrest
Hocrest Reader
2/18/10 6:24 a.m.

I don't have SA, but in my past job I set up CPAP's on probably a few hundred patients. Here are some tips;

• Mask fitting is key, there are many different styles and many different shape faces. Work with the provider to try different types to find the best fit.

• Slight mask leak around your mouth, OK. Slight mask leak into your eye's, bad.

• A humidifier helps, a heated humidifier helps more. Just remember to clean the tank daily. A warmed tank of standing water is a great place for bugs to grow.

• Give it some time, if you can't wear it all night at first, wear it as much as you can. I took one home when I started working with them so I could relate better to the patients. The first night I had it on for 1/2 hour, the second for 2 hours, the rest of the week i was able to wear it all night.

• Some machines track usage, some Ins co's will stop paying for it if they don't see usage above certain limits.

mrwillie
mrwillie Reader
2/18/10 11:38 a.m.

My wife has it, and the cpap has made a night and day diff. in her life. She would stop breathing during the night and sometimes it would take a nudge or two to kick-start her breathing. That kept me awake more than the snoring ever did. It took awhile to get used to the mask, and proper fitment and air pressure is key, but she has alot more energy, has lost weight and has brought her blood pressure and sugar levels down.

Long story short, you may not be too thrilled about the idea but if the sleep study shows that you need it and you can at all afford it I would def. say to get it. Rent a machine for awhile or do some research to find out what you need. They show up on the CL every so often. Our ins has paid ours off, and we only have to buy replacement parts every few weeks.

triumph7
triumph7 Reader
2/18/10 12:45 p.m.
stroker wrote:
ManBearSTIG wrote: I guess my question is, does anyone here have it? And what is YOUR remedy.
yes. surgery, called a "u-p-p" in med-speak

My doctor said they don't do the surgery any more, supposedly doesn't last... or doesn't make them as much money........

BigEd
BigEd
2/22/10 10:11 a.m.

I had sleep apnea for years. I knew I had it but I just wouldn't go in for the test. I got so bad that my mental judgment was impaired due to oxygen deprivation . Once I had the test they put me on a c-pap. Here's some info on how i beat it- http://itwasallinmyhead.com/

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
2/22/10 10:12 a.m.

^^ stealth canoe ^^

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/22/10 10:42 a.m.

I have a mild case. It was diagnosed during my search for a cure for my insomnia. If you can't get to sleep in the first place, then strapping on a CPAP machine is not going to help! If I get over the insomnia, I will go for a CPAP because my brother uses one and swears by it.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
2/22/10 11:11 a.m.

Pretty sure I don't have sleep apnea, but I do give my apnea cursed buddies a run for their money when it comes to snoring. However, I recently started using those nasal strip things, and HOLY CRAP, they make a HUGE difference. I get an elbow to the groin about 30 seconds after I fall asleep if I forget to put one on.

The "breathe right" ones are pricey, but our grocery store (kroger) has an off-brand.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
2/22/10 2:48 p.m.

For those married with CPAPs, how's your spontaneous love lives? How's the snuggling in bed and going to sleep in each other's arms? How's spooning as you wake up?

I lived alone for along time. I kind of like falling asleep in each others arms, and the CPAP made it kind of difficult (especially as it was blowing into her face if I turned towards her). I was also only able to sleep on my back with a CPAP and that set of my RLS something fierce. If I turned by head to the side or tried to lay on my side, the mask or canulas would be forced out of position and rendered useless.

To me, using a CPAP was akin to sleeping in separate beds, which is akin to sleeping in separate rooms, which was a lot like turning my wife into a female roommate. It took me many years to get to the life I have. The CPAP was taking quite a bit of the important parts away, even if I felt less tired during the day.

I'm not fat, only have a size 15 1/2 neck, etc. but the back of my throat closes up easily causing all sorts of apnic events during the night. I know I should do something for the apnea, but I really don't like any of the options, and was already told surgery was out.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
2/22/10 3:01 p.m.

Perhaps we need a GRM DIY solution... like a neck shunt. Maybe a used up toilet paper roll dipped in wax (waterproofing!) could be jambed in there for the evening... I know I've seen movies where some classy gals would easily swallow something of similar size... so we could probably get used to it. [nohomo]

NGTD
NGTD HalfDork
2/22/10 3:05 p.m.
Chris_V wrote: For those married with CPAPs, how's your spontaneous love lives? How's the snuggling in bed and going to sleep in each other's arms? How's spooning as you wake up?

My wife HATES if the outlet is blowing on her. BUT she HATED my snoring even more.

I won't comment further on a public forum.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
2/22/10 3:39 p.m.

My father has been diagnosed with a BAD case of SA. It was nice when he used it but stopped for a number of reasons.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
2/22/10 3:42 p.m.

The health insurance claims for CPAPs are the bane of my existence.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/22/10 5:06 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Pretty sure I don't have sleep apnea, but I do give my apnea cursed buddies a run for their money when it comes to snoring. However, I recently started using those nasal strip things, and HOLY CRAP, they make a HUGE difference. I get an elbow to the groin about 30 seconds after I fall asleep if I forget to put one on. The "breathe right" ones are pricey, but our grocery store (kroger) has an off-brand.

If you used duct tape it could clean your pores at the same time.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
2/22/10 8:45 p.m.

I have completely blocked sinuses due to sinus polyps. I am actually having surgery (again) next Tuesday to have it all cleaned up again. If I'm not on Prednisone, I can't pass air through my nose AT ALL (it will go through my ears first). I sleep with my mouth open, but before I hit REM sleep, my mouth closes and I begin to try to breathe through my nose (obviously unsuccessfully).

Do I have sleep apnea? I'd bet my left tie rod that I do. Hopefully surgery and, this time, Aspirin desensitization will keep it off for good. I know for a fact that I am a happier, WAY more vibrant and alert person when I take steroids (to temporarily clear my nose) or have the surgery.

If I had the normal type of sleep apnea, I'd get the berkeleying machine. In a heart-beat.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/12/18 7:25 p.m.

Zombie thread, canoe deleted

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ywxYvPuUctylfhfHIO02av45VoYU55sNTf9cmINTPAyXZ2bV6j2uXUGVf1WPBiVA