1 2
dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
7/2/22 10:01 p.m.

I forgot to mention that you're a short trip from Carolina Beach, which has the absolute best donuts in the world* in Brit's Donuts. I am not a donut person, and one Tim Horton's donut makes me sick to my stomach and regretting eating it. A good donut (note: specifically distinct from Tim Horton's) I can enjoy but not rave about. Brit's donuts had me finishing two or three and thinking about more. YUM.

*to be honest I've probably had donuts from 20-30 places in 15 states and 3 countries. Not really an exhaustive sample. But they are really good.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/2/22 11:20 p.m.
JThw8 said:
Ranger50 said:

In reply to JThw8 :

At least you got pickles going for you. cheeky

On topic, not a fan. Multiple reasons, but I'm probably an outlier.

As much as I tend to belittle our speck of a town in the middle of nowhere it is, as you noted, the home of Mount Olive pickles, but also the national HQ of Hwy 55 burgers (a small but still nationwide burger chain franchise named for the hwy on which I live) and has a major processing plant for butterball.  Theres a lot going on for a town with nothing going on.

I really like Mount Olive pickles, but never looked to see where they're made.  smiley

The battleship North Carolina is in Wilmington, it's well worth taking the tour.  https://www.battleshipnc.com

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/3/22 3:34 a.m.

Didn't we have a forum member in the area until the last year or two?  Was it TJ or am I hallucinating?

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
7/3/22 7:25 a.m.

What's the social culture like there? Is it heavily politically leaning one way or the other? I'd assume it's pretty moderate or perhaps slightly liberal leaning in a suburban East Coast kinda way.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/3/22 7:40 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

It may have changed in the years since I was there, but I found Wilmington to be leaning towards the southern conservative side of things.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
7/3/22 8:18 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

Okay... looked up 2020 election results for myself. Looks like that county is an island of just-barely-blue in a see of deep red. Makes sense.

I don't care if a place leans a bit one direction or the other. I just want a place that welcomes everyone. I kind of figure a tourist destination tends to want everyone's money. I want to live in a place that has gay bars and gun ranges. 

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/3/22 10:37 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

I can confirm both exist, though Jacksonville, NC, which isn't a long drive from Wilmington, will definitely have more gun ranges. 

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/3/22 12:15 p.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

But as a civilian he probably won't have access to the best ones in the Jacksonville area.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
7/3/22 1:31 p.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Beer Baron :

I can confirm both exist, though Jacksonville, NC, which isn't a long drive from Wilmington, will definitely have more gun ranges. 

I don't necessarily need to go to either one. Just want to know they're there and living near each other peaceably.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/3/22 1:38 p.m.

I've found that NC is becoming more open minded than the rest of the south.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
7/3/22 2:29 p.m.

Wilmington is great. I really enjoyed Wrightsville beach when I lived in Raleigh. Great place with a lot of transplants. Good food. Good fishing. I'd live there. 

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
7/3/22 5:22 p.m.
Beer Baron said:

What's the social culture like there? Is it heavily politically leaning one way or the other? I'd assume it's pretty moderate or perhaps slightly liberal leaning in a suburban East Coast kinda way.

My experience in general is people are pretty darn tolerant around here.  Not always open minded, but tolerant.  It leans conservative in our area but not in an overt way.  Its more or less farmers who just want to be left alone.  Wilmington will be even more moderate if not slightly liberal.  Overall though I haven't found any glaringly harsh surprises in eastern NC.  Mostly just folks being folks and happy to let others be who they want to be.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
7/3/22 6:11 p.m.

In reply to JThw8 :

Like the biggest town in Wayne county is any better....

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
7/3/22 6:15 p.m.
Ranger50 said:

In reply to JThw8 :

Like the biggest town in Wayne county is any better....

That would be Goldsboro, it has its own set of issues :)

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
7/3/22 6:31 p.m.

In reply to JThw8 :

I know... the job I have reiterates it daily.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/3/22 8:28 a.m.

@Beer Baron - what ended up happening?

Edit:  I see you have a Learn Me Connecticut thread... so I'm guessing the Wilmington option was not pursued further.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
8/3/22 9:01 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

Sadly, did not get this position. Fairly disappointed. I was very excited about the potential for this.

Got several other prospective gigs in different areas I'm looking into. Started a thread about another potential location in Connecticut. Talking to people in the Norfolk area. Applied for a position outside Philly, and surprised I haven't heard back from them after over a week.

It's been ages since I've job hunted and I'm not sure whether it's appropriate to shoot an e-mail saying, "Hey, I wanted to see if you got my application or not." I know my resume is strong for brewing positions and I've gotten pretty quick responses from everywhere I've reached out to except for this one PA brewery and Stone. I understand Stone not responding.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
8/3/22 9:57 a.m.
secretariata (Forum Supporter) said:

Didn't we have a forum member in the area until the last year or two?  Was it TJ or am I hallucinating?

TJ lived on Oak Island.  He moved and has left GRM.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/3/22 10:16 a.m.
Beer Baron said:
ProDarwin said:

Sadly, did not get this position. Fairly disappointed. I was very excited about the potential for this.

Got several other prospective gigs in different areas I'm looking into. Started a thread about another potential location in Connecticut. Talking to people in the Norfolk area. Applied for a position outside Philly, and surprised I haven't heard back from them after over a week.

It's been ages since I've job hunted and I'm not sure whether it's appropriate to shoot an e-mail saying, "Hey, I wanted to see if you got my application or not." I know my resume is strong for brewing positions and I've gotten pretty quick responses from everywhere I've reached out to except for this one PA brewery and Stone. I understand Stone not responding.

Bummer.  Best of luck on the continued job search!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fm2QF93zBBrNCBBBOEYZcU3sXdhQoLE7kOgl6vuGS16srg2I2gN1y0URwv1L1nAb