1 2
spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
1/24/23 5:50 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

I've eaten dove. And quail as we used to hunt them.  I suspect dove is much like pigeon since they are related.  The quail is like the proverbial chicken.  Yummy.  

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/24/23 6:41 p.m.

In reply to spitfirebill :

Absolutely! What I wish we had here is Bison. But in the summers, when we are in MT, we grab a bison there, and bring it down. Delicious. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/24/23 10:40 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Boneless chicken is good eats, but caring for boneless chickens is tedious.

I too shall show myself out.

Boneless Chicken Ranch from Far Side | Far side cartoons ...

1/24/23 10:48 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

In reply to spitfirebill :

Absolutely! What I wish we had here is Bison. But in the summers, when we are in MT, we grab a bison there, and bring it down. Delicious. 

There is a restaurant in Kalispell MT that has the ambience of a Ponderosa from 1985, but they serve a sous vide bison filet that is then pan-seared with unapologetic levels of garlic and thyme that makes my toes curl.  Incredible.

I just looked... it doesn't seem to still be in business.  It was out Rt 2 toward Evergreen.

1/24/23 11:04 p.m.
spitfirebill said:

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

I've eaten dove. And quail as we used to hunt them.  I suspect dove is much like pigeon since they are related.  The quail is like the proverbial chicken.  Yummy.  

I was raised on a farm in PA with a farmer/hunter mother from Bedford PA and a farmer/hunter/biology teacher father from WV.  I've probably eaten roadkill possum and they played it off as chicken.  I remember going up to the belfry at our church to get squab and the resulting consumption of it must not have been traumatic, because I remember the harvest but not the meal.  Here's what I can remember:  Pheasant, dove, crow, quail, grouse, rabbit, squirrel, venison, wild turkey (the bird AND the whiskey), moose, elk, bison, caribou, goose, bear, beaver, groundhog, alligator, bighorn sheep, duck, wild boar, rattlesnake, cottonmouth, mountain goat, kangaroo, nutria, chipmunk, antelope, sika, axis, penguin.  Yup.  Penguin.  Don't even get me started on the fish we've caught... which probably tasted similar to the penguin.  Do not recommend the penguin.  Ever smell the penguin enclosure at the zoo?  It tastes just like that.

Bubba Gump Thats About It GIF - Bubba Gump Thats About It ...

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
1/24/23 11:08 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

There a bison farm between your place and mine, so not too far from you. If you ever want fresh bison, worth the drive. 

1/25/23 3:16 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

There a bison farm between your place and mine, so not too far from you. If you ever want fresh bison, worth the drive. 

I'll check it out.  Right now the freezer is pretty full of venison, but it goes quickly

jimgood
jimgood Reader
1/26/23 9:08 a.m.

I have to say I have the utmost respect for anyone that can raise and care for animals and then kill and eat them. I just don't have it in me. I have thought about raising chickens many times. Other than fish, I can't kill anything for which I do not harbor malice in some form; the odd ground hog that digs around and under our indoor arena, the feral cat that fought with our cat and injured its eye for a $500 vet bill, the rabid raccoon.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cRrK2ofgkRGYlIUEWviwrYEJ9wtANI2uNJlFaSDBvVDppbUNErjAq6I6aC3KlCrY