1 2 3 ... 11
AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
3/2/22 11:17 p.m.

With the February contest drawing to a close I began to think about the entrants. They were all beautiful, all very well done, but all so... ordinary. I mean, we're GRM. The guys who built this:

And this:

and whatever the hell this is:

When we see automotive monstrosities like this we never ask "Why?" we ask "how?"

If I had to sum up GRM in one sentence it would be "we once autocrossed a zamboni."

So the challenge is this. Think outside the box. build a model with a crazy engine swap, a stanced semi truck, a prius on tank treads, a 6 wheel drive miata, a gasser limousine. Go nuts, The weirder the better.

Because I got stuck in charge of this round and because I want there to be enough time to finish whatever odd things you dream up the contest will conclude at midnight on April 30th.

Your time starts now.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
3/2/22 11:25 p.m.

So my Jaguar powered Mercury was "ordinary".  Given the projects I have already started, and the other constraints on my time for the month of March and early April I am unlikely to be able to top that one. 

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/22 12:37 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

You were very much the exception that proved the rule and the inspiration for this build challenge. 

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
3/3/22 1:12 a.m.
TurnerX19 said:

So my Jaguar powered Mercury was "ordinary".  

To the contrary, I saw your weird engine swap and thought "yes! More of that please."

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/22 9:51 a.m.

I'm in, not sure with what yet but I'm in. 

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
3/3/22 10:11 a.m.

Oh boy! 
Any good sources for spare sprues? I have a couple good contenders but nothing in the way of spare parts for shenanigans. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
3/3/22 11:27 a.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

Give it a few years! My parts boxes are a 65 year collection. Do Not throw anything away, ever. That is a rule to live by. The Jag engine in the Nova wagon was in the parts box well over 50 years. The one in the Mercury only about 15 years.

barefootcyborg5000
3/3/22 11:38 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Noted. I try to not hold on to things as a general rule, but maybe I make an exception. And maybe I buy a couple more kits just to bash. 

Javelin
3/3/22 11:40 a.m.

Anything that's a "2 in 1" or "3 in 1" kit will give you lots of spares.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
3/3/22 12:19 p.m.

Ive got some 

barefootcyborg5000
3/3/22 12:30 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Pm incoming. 

llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
3/3/22 12:41 p.m.

Uhmm, if anybody wants old-weird-incomplete parts or models, let me know. I inherited my cousins collection when I was a kid, and haven't really done much with it. I'll throw some pictures up, tonight hopefully. All from before 1977.

I built a street drivable Sherman tank model as a teenager, with windows and seats. Not too crazy, but fun.

Javelin
3/3/22 12:44 p.m.

In reply to llysgennad :

Oh yes!

Javelin
3/3/22 12:45 p.m.

Also if anybody needs anything for this challenge, throw it up here. If I have it I am happy to send it along. For example, I have a Pontiac SOHC inline-6 motor and an unrelated Fiero widebody kit (but sadly no Fiero to put both in).

barefootcyborg5000
3/3/22 12:54 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Uhh... pm incoming

Javelin
3/3/22 1:09 p.m.

LOL, that was fast! I should dig out all of my wacky stuff and put on a model parts bazaar free for all.

barefootcyborg5000
3/3/22 1:18 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

I have a challenge worthy idea. It'll be a scramble to finish with the level of fabrication needed, but I'm excited.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
3/3/22 1:29 p.m.

In reply to llysgennad :

What kind of question is that?  We love bad ideas in all scales. 

Javelin
3/3/22 2:48 p.m.

Here is my oddities on offer. All 1/25-1/24 scale, free, first come first serve. 

Just mailed these out to barefootcyborg:

I'm not sure if I'm in or not, but I love this idea... better dust off my modeling stuff and see what I can do.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
3/3/22 5:17 p.m.

Dang, I wish I hadn't sold off all my models two decades ago. 

I once had two or three General Lee kits. I had intended to make one of them a '00' version and stick a slant six in it. The other build was going to be a Petty NASCAR charger done up as the General Lee. Such grandiose plans...

Guess I need to go through my parts stash.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/3/22 6:43 p.m.

I need a BMW 635CSi or M6 kit. I have an idea based on something I built back in high school. 

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/3/22 7:01 p.m.

And I found one. On its way. This model will be called Bad, Mean, and Wild!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/3/22 7:22 p.m.

Damn, this kinda sounds fun, but I have absolutely no model supplies, not space. I shall watch and enjoy by proxy. 

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
3/3/22 8:27 p.m.

My first Idea is a bust... I can't find either of the kits I would need at a reasonable price. But I have a similarly ridiculous idea and the kits are ordered. Should be in by the middle of next week.

1 2 3 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hV6S9H5oLDno4XeXLBgKawSA4aqyJR8dPsY007q4NsB6B5qz5jps1hknys79E5Yk