11/13/19 3:38 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Spotify pays royalties too.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/13/19 5:00 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

Cool insite from the relative.  Thanks.  

I have read elsewhere in months back on the internet that this D+ product could very well be the demise of Netflix where Netflix just doesn't have the depth to fend off both Amazon and D+.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/13/19 5:20 p.m.
SVreX said:

In reply to z31maniac :

Spotify pays royalties too.

They do, but it's essentially negligible as far as what the band sees.

The "band" is paid less than $0.005 cents per song. And that's before agents/managers/etc get their cut.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/13/19 5:29 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

You mean per download?

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/14/19 12:15 a.m.

In reply to SVreX :

Per play/stream.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/14/19 7:14 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Amazon Prime music or Pandora are the two streaming services I use. Spotify premium is just too expensive for me. $10/mo will buy an album a month and over time that's built up a heck of a library that I actually own and don't have to worry about disappearing or having connectivity problems. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/14/19 7:22 a.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to z31maniac :

Amazon Prime music or Pandora are the two streaming services I use. Spotify premium is just too expensive for me. $10/mo will buy an album a month and over time that's built up a heck of a library that I actually own and don't have to worry about disappearing or having connectivity problems. 

Different strokes and all that. Spotify premium lets you create multiple playlists and download them to your device so you can still listen when you don't have cell service or WiFi available. 

But I don't buy CDs anymore, not to mention hauling them around is a pain. I really only buy vinyl anymore of albums I really like. So that's anywhere from $8 used to $40 new depending on the album and band..........but I can't take vinyl with me.

A ticket, a couple of TShirts, and a few drinks gets more money to the band than if I buy a CD or stream a song 5,000 times.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/14/19 7:38 a.m.

I have pretty much quit watching TV so the Disney deal is pretty much meh to me. I'm sure my wife will sign up for it to go with the Netflix and Amazon we have now.

On the music end, I had Pandora Premium and XM Radio. I have dropped both of those and gone back to buying albums. There is a 250 gig SD card in my phone and I have a couple of cheap tablets with large SD cards in my office and shop for music.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/14/19 7:46 a.m.
Tom_Spangler said:

I got my first year free because I'm a Verizon customer, but I probably would have signed up anyhow just for the Marvel and Star Wars content. Will probably watch the first episode of "The Mandalorian" tonight.

Wait. What?  How does that work?

(also a Verizon customer...)

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
11/14/19 8:17 a.m.

In reply to Ian F :

If you have an unlimited data plan, you get it free.  I thought about upgrading to unlimited but decided $6-7/month wasn't a big deal.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/14/19 8:21 a.m.
Ian F said:
Tom_Spangler said:

I got my first year free because I'm a Verizon customer, but I probably would have signed up anyhow just for the Marvel and Star Wars content. Will probably watch the first episode of "The Mandalorian" tonight.

Wait. What?  How does that work?

(also a Verizon customer...)

https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/disneyplus/

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
11/14/19 8:32 a.m.

I have a question. Ford v Ferrari was produced by 20th century fox, which is owned by Disney. Should I expect to see that movie on disney plus in a few months? I want to see it but I kind of hate going to movie theaters.

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
11/14/19 9:34 a.m.

I guess the important question is. Are Condorman and The cat from outer space available on this service? laugh That is about where my Disney knowledge ends.

I have a black on black 78 911 sitting next to my area of the shop, and every time I look at it I want it to have the whale tail and body kit that the baddies in that movie had. Although I remember them having yellow headlights and google says I am wrong. It has been over three decades since I have seen it.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
11/14/19 9:45 a.m.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/14/19 9:50 a.m.
gearheadmb said:

I have a question. Ford v Ferrari was produced by 20th century fox, which is owned by Disney. Should I expect to see that movie on disney plus in a few months? I want to see it but I kind of hate going to movie theaters.

Disney will be making content from all of it's subsidiaries available on D+ in the future, but no one knows exactly which content or when.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/14/19 10:02 a.m.
z31maniac said:

Different strokes and all that. Spotify premium lets you create multiple playlists and download them to your device so you can still listen when you don't have cell service or WiFi available. 

But I don't buy CDs anymore, not to mention hauling them around is a pain. I really only buy vinyl anymore of albums I really like. So that's anywhere from $8 used to $40 new depending on the album and band..........but I can't take vinyl with me.

A ticket, a couple of TShirts, and a few drinks gets more money to the band than if I buy a CD or stream a song 5,000 times.

I don't haul CDs around. Nowadays if you buy a CD on Amazon they let you "autorip" it and download MP3s right away. Those go on my phone where I can organize playlists and the like. I hate iTunes but it's a necessary evil for those of us with iPhones, and with it I can rip old CDs or CDs bought used and put them on my phone.

I used to go to a lot of concerts, but the little kids have kinda killed that off for now.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/14/19 10:11 a.m.
Jerry said:

In reply to Ian F :

If you have an unlimited data plan, you get it free.  I thought about upgrading to unlimited but decided $6-7/month wasn't a big deal.

I do!  Cool.  I'll have to check it out when I get back to my hotel.  Thanks guys. yes

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/14/19 10:14 a.m.

Between my roommate, my girlfriend, and myself I'm only paying for AmazonPrime ($90 a year) which I don't even use there video streaming only shopping and music. Hulu my roommate pays for, I have free Netflix, and my girlfriend has free Disney+. And playstation+ annually. I've never had cable and watch my anime on hulu or online devil.  Can't complain. 

I've been super excited about Disney+ ever since I heard it was coming out.

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
11/15/19 7:54 p.m.
Jumper K Balls (Trent) said:

I guess the important question is. Are Condorman and The cat from outer space available on this service? laugh That is about where my Disney knowledge ends.

I have a black on black 78 911 sitting next to my area of the shop, and every time I look at it I want it to have the whale tail and body kit that the baddies in that movie had. Although I remember them having yellow headlights and google says I am wrong. It has been over three decades since I have seen it.

You are wrong, sadly. 

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
11/15/19 9:35 p.m.

Yeah I don't pay for netflix, but we do Amazon prime, so I signed up for D+ mainly for the Mandalorian but also for the upcoming Marvel stuff.  Let me tell you if you are even a casual star wars fan The Mandalorian is the E36 M3.  It's got that space western vibe and the soundtrack reminds me of the game Homeworld which I absolutely adore.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
11/15/19 11:12 p.m.
Jumper K Balls (Trent) said:

Condorman-No

The Cat from outer space -Yes

I have the original Condorman comic books from when I was a kid but I have never seen the movie. 

Ransoft
Ransoft New Reader
11/16/19 5:20 a.m.

I downloaded the app in my Xbox.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/16/19 8:34 a.m.

This should be here as well.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
11/30/19 7:07 p.m.

Disappointed so far especially for my kids. 
Contant streaming issues especially in the evenings.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/30/19 7:22 p.m.
Sine_Qua_Non said:

Disappointed so far especially for my kids. 
Contant streaming issues especially in the evenings.

I have had no issues. I’m using an Apple TV hooked up via WiFi. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qDLwVGVtKZJ9F99XcgcFajy4KVrDfKxPBuVyakCz7phfMZS0rSpOregqvQ7BvUjI