1 2 3 ... 10
poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
1/20/12 8:43 p.m.

Aside from black folk, is anyone really still EXCITED to vote for this ass hat? Is it clear that "Hope and Change" = Exponential spending increases, expansion of government's role in our lives, and a stagnant, unstable economy? Or do we just need to keep hopening and changering moar better?

Funny how the crowd goes silent went the words "If you work hard" are uttered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBlpRF9fIPQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Grizz
Grizz Dork
1/20/12 8:44 p.m.

Racist.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
1/20/12 8:48 p.m.

I'm HOPING for a CHANGE.

I don't understand why all the other political hopefuls don't run on that platform.

I clicked on your link but while I was waiting for it to load I saw this one on the top of the related list and got sidetracked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF9FM6KqCu4&feature=related

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/20/12 8:57 p.m.

I have said it before.. and saying it again. I am just underwhelmed by the choices

nderwater
nderwater SuperDork
1/20/12 9:17 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Aside from black folk, is anyone really still EXCITED to vote for this ass hat?

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
1/20/12 9:19 p.m.

Seriously.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan HalfDork
1/20/12 9:23 p.m.

Seriously. He won nearly all of the black vote. I can't imagine why...

Sorry, but skin color shouldn't matter either way. I'm not going to vote for a white guy because he's white. The number of people who thought "it just time we have black president" disgusted me. Frankly, they're the bigoted ones.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
1/20/12 9:24 p.m.

(edit)

Nah. Nevermind.

nderwater
nderwater SuperDork
1/20/12 9:26 p.m.
MG Bryan wrote: The number of people who thought "it just time we have black president" disgusted me. Frankly, they're the bigoted ones.

I'm struggling to fathom the lack of perspective in this post.

How many black kids have been told for generations that 'This is America', that 'You can be whatever you want to be if you work hard enough'? "You can even be President one day!" But not really... because in their hearts, none of them really believed that.

But Obama got elected. He was inaugurated. Whatever you think of the man's policy, his personality, his agenda, his face - it all pales next the fact that he is a black man that became President of the most powerful nation on Earth. Validation that the American dream is real after all. You cannot fathom how important that is to in the minds and hearts of so many of this country's minorities. And if that disgusts you, then I suggest that you keep it to yourself.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan HalfDork
1/20/12 9:38 p.m.
nderwater wrote:
MG Bryan wrote: The number of people who thought "it just time we have black president" disgusted me. Frankly, they're the bigoted ones.
I'm struggling to fathom the lack of perspective in this post. How many black kids have been told for generations that this is America, that you can be whatever you want to be if you work hard enough. You can even be President one day... well, not really. Because in their hearts, no one really believed it. But Obama got elected. He was inaugurated. Whatever you think of the man's policy, his personality, his agenda, his face - it all pales next the fact that he is a black man that became President of the most powerful nation on Earth. You cannot fathom how important that is to in the minds and hearts of so many of this country's minorities.

I can imagine. I have had the argument face to face many, many times. I don't give a damn what the man looks like or what the tone of his voice is. I don't care that he has a damn good jump shot. I don't care that his dad was black. None of that should matter.

If he looked the way every other candidate tends to look, and ran on the platforms that he did, people would have laughed hysterically.

Voting for a man because he's black is wrong for all of the same reasons affirmative action was. If he's the best choice, choose him and if he isn't the best choice, reject him. Skin color be damned.

nderwater
nderwater SuperDork
1/20/12 9:42 p.m.

Racial injustice shouldn't happen. Minorities should have a fair and equal standing in government, in the court system, with law enforcement and in economic opportunity. Until that day ever happens, the fact that a black man was able to climb up to equal footing with all the white men who ran this country before him matters a great deal to a great many people.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
1/20/12 9:51 p.m.
nderwater wrote: Racial injustice shouldn't happen. Minorities should have a fair and equal standing in government, in the court system, with law enforcement and in economic opportunity. Until that day ever happens, the fact that a black man was able to climb up to equal footing with all the white men who ran this country before him matters a great deal to a great many people.

I understand that. Which is why I'm saying, aside from the people who (understandably) voted for him because he's black, is anyone REALLY excited about voting for him again? I am genuinely intrigued.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/20/12 9:54 p.m.

berkeley that. I've been called racist for not voting for him the first time.

It's over.

fritzsch
fritzsch Reader
1/20/12 10:15 p.m.

Im not excited about voting for him, but I think I will. Ive been following the republican primaries, can you say you are excited to vote for ANY of them? Are you excited by any of the candidates based on what they stand for and believe rather than being the alternative to obama? He has been a bit of a let down, but I am much more thoroughly disgusted by the actions of both the GOP party and the candidates.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/20/12 10:18 p.m.

I'm not voting for a lesser evil. berkeley every last one of them.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
1/20/12 10:21 p.m.
nderwater wrote: Racial injustice shouldn't happen. Minorities should have a fair and equal standing in government, in the court system, with law enforcement and in economic opportunity. Until that day ever happens, the fact that a black man was able to climb up to equal footing with all the white men who ran this country before him matters a great deal to a great many people.

I don't know, D's seem to be the ones always bringin' up race.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying......

mtn
mtn SuperDork
1/20/12 10:22 p.m.
fritzsch wrote: Im not excited about voting for him, but I think I will. Ive been following the republican primaries, can you say you are excited to vote for ANY of them? Are you excited by any of the candidates based on what they stand for and believe rather than being the alternative to obama? He has been a bit of a let down, but I am much more thoroughly disgusted by the actions of both the GOP party and the candidates.

Dude. Seriously. You live in Illinois. Your vote does not count one bit. Go vote for a third party, someone who actually is close to what you want in a candidate. If there isn't anyone, write it in.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/20/12 11:41 p.m.
fritzsch wrote: Are you excited by any of the candidates based on what they stand for and believe rather than being the alternative to obama?

the "I am not President Obama" is the wrong reason to vote for anybody

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
1/20/12 11:43 p.m.
mtn wrote: Your vote does not count one bit.

AAAAAND there we have it. I hate this sentiment with every fiber of my being.

If nobody thinks their vote counts, nobody will vote.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
1/20/12 11:48 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Aside from black folk, is anyone really still EXCITED to vote for this ass hat?
z31maniac wrote: I don't know, D's seem to be the ones always bringin' up race. I'm not saying, I'm just saying......

Uh.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
1/21/12 12:02 a.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote:
poopshovel wrote: Aside from black folk, is anyone really still EXCITED to vote for this ass hat?
z31maniac wrote: I don't know, D's seem to be the ones always bringin' up race. I'm not saying, I'm just saying......
Uh.

Zing.

Joey

mtn
mtn SuperDork
1/21/12 12:42 a.m.
Maroon92 wrote:
mtn wrote: You live in Illinois. Your vote does not count one bit.
AAAAAND there we have it. I hate this sentiment with every fiber of my being. If nobody thinks their vote counts, nobody will vote.

You deleted an important part of my post. I added it back in and bolded it for you in case you missed it the first time. Also important to this statement is the way that we elect the president, the electoral college. I assume that you--reasonably bright and college educated--know how it works, so I shall not try to explain it here.

In Illinois, it is true. Your vote (okay, I should have added "for president") does not matter one Iota with the electoral college. Obama will win by a landslide for a multitude of reasons. The two biggest are that the state has gone democrat since Reagan, and that he is from here and people [in Chicago] love him. In Illinois in this climate, the primaries are FAR more important than the general election.

Did you notice that I never said he shouldn't vote? The intention of my post was that he should actually try to do something good with it (try to give 3rd parties some traction for the future) rather than throw it away on a repub or Obama since it won't affect anything.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/21/12 1:22 a.m.

I would vote for him. At least he didn't force us to eat fried sticks of butter just so he could sell us an expensive diabetes treatment, which judgeing by the number of stories I read this week was the crime of the century.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/21/12 2:06 a.m.

I don't really care anymore. For decades we have been choosing the lesser evil and the current office has overly polarized left versus right. I figure we'll eventually hit rock bottom... or at least get to a point where people's voices will be heard. You get a protest in Egypt and it turns into a coup in a few months. How long has the Occupy Wall St protest been going on?

Nobody here in the US really has a voice; voting, protesting, anything. Its all bureaucratic BS. We have been berkeleying with gay marriage for years, but suddenly Michael Jackson's doctor is on trial and we're glued to every word on TV. How many of us actually watch the debates, and how many of us watch Jersey Shore?

The current condition of the US is due to the apathy of its people, myself included. Our version of capitalism is broken and its our fault.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/21/12 2:35 a.m.

I'm excited about not getting Gingrich or Romney. I hate voting for the lesser evil, but I voted for Nader and got W. Not that my vote mattered specifically; I'm in Oregon.

Right now, there isn't anybody I am excited about. On any side. Obama actually is the closest thing available right now for me.

I answered the core question, perhaps against my better judgement. The "hopey changey" bullE36 M3 you couched your question in isn't worth the characters I'm typing, and I've seen you too coherent too many times to think it's the best you can do.

Not that I'm any better. I'm not keeping a notebook of all the lies on either side. My most bitter disappointment is in the failure of the promise of "representative government", where I don't have to make a berkeleying hobby out of keeping this E36 M3 straight just to tell which candidate's the least deserving of being fed his own wedding tackle on a wrecking ball.

Appropriately, you can probably attribute a fraction of my tone to the bottle of Black Boss I had earlier.

1 2 3 ... 10

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
oV21T1DP3U1c6DAv8dNYWe87MKTaUJCsVXtcARm0pjDXZEPNT4YN0c4s9LPl2suq