1 2 3 4 ... 10
4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
1/21/12 3:05 a.m.

I voted for the O last time. I feel Ive been had...

Hope? Change? All that "this time it will be different" bs worked on me...and then my biiiiig hopey changey moment was Obamacare? Really? Not term limits, or campaign reform, or economic stimulus that doesnt involve buying the broken toy to keep it out of the garbage can? Yeah, no...none of that...I got obamacare, i.e. keep the minorities happy so I can get re-elected by making the emergency room trip theyre not gonna pay for anyway cheaper by dropping the tab on the backs of the working class. Whiskey tango foxtrot?!?! I already have health care...its provided by my employer AT THE JOB I WENT OUT AND WORKED HARD TO GET!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks but no thanks to 4 more of that crap.

Im not a fan of the Rs out there to choose from...not a bit...at all...ever. But Id rather fail trying something new than fail by repeating the same old mistakes Ive already made...you know, that whole definition of insanity business...

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
1/21/12 3:18 a.m.

The difference between the political parties is that they are not the same.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
1/21/12 7:46 a.m.
ransom wrote: I'm excited about not getting Gingrich or Romney. I hate voting for the lesser evil, but I voted for Nader and got W. Not that my vote mattered specifically; I'm in Oregon. Right now, there isn't anybody I am excited about. On any side. Obama actually is the closest thing available right now for me. I answered the core question, perhaps against my better judgement. The "hopey changey" bullE36 M3 you couched your question in isn't worth the characters I'm typing, and I've seen you too coherent too many times to think it's the best you can do. Not that I'm any better. I'm not keeping a notebook of all the lies on either side. My most bitter disappointment is in the failure of the promise of "representative government", where I don't have to make a berkeleying hobby out of keeping this E36 M3 straight just to tell which candidate's the least deserving of being fed his own wedding tackle on a wrecking ball. Appropriately, you can probably attribute a fraction of my tone to the bottle of Black Boss I had earlier.

The video is what incited the "berkeleying seriously!?" response from me. He said absolutely jack squat aside from, effectively, "You just gotta keep hopin! And help me get re-elected, so we can get the change a'goin!"

Say what you will about the GOP, at least there's been some substantive debate going on.

And yes, while he's not my ideal candidate, I am TRULY about the prospect of seeing Newt debate thee Obama, showing the world how truly clueless Obama is when discussing anything but "social injustice."

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
1/21/12 7:56 a.m.

What I don't understand is the people who are surprised and disappointed at the performance of Mr. O.

C'mon, what were you expecting exactly?

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
1/21/12 8:04 a.m.
nderwater wrote: Racial injustice shouldn't happen. Minorities should have a fair and equal standing in government, in the court system, with law enforcement and in economic opportunity. Until that day ever happens, the fact that a black man was able to climb up to equal footing with all the white men who ran this country before him matters a great deal to a great many people.

That's exactly the problem. He isn't qualified to be president. Look at his experience. It doesn't add up. He was elected because he got all the lblack vote and is half white. That, and everyone that wasn't going to vote Republican because of Bush. THAT is wrong on every level.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
1/21/12 8:09 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: What I don't understand is the people who are surprised and disappointed at the performance of Mr. O. C'mon, what were you expecting exactly?

Running for President in this country is unfortunately as much of a popularity contest as it is anything else. Americans are fickle. Look at the volitility of the popularity of the GOP candidates. Obama said absolutely nothing of substance during his 08 campaign, so you are right, we shouldn't have expected much. He shouldn't have be elected, but his rhetoric was popular. I'd sure like to see him and Gingrich debate, with no teleprompters.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/21/12 8:45 a.m.

I didn't vote for The O last time not because of his color but because I didn't like any of his policies and his lack of real world experience (not to be confused with climbing the political ladder). I won't vote for him this time for the same reason.

If Colin Powell had run, I would have voted for him. Not because he's black or because I 100% agree with his policies but because he has been there and done that with the military and the real world and therefore knows what he's talking about. He's also not afraid to say what he thinks, even if you don't like it. He also was smart enough to not run for the office in the first place (Idiocracy, anyone?).

The current crop of Repubs are, in the very accurate words of my Democratic stepdad, like a bunch of clowns in a clown car. None of them have any real substance with the possible exception of Huntsman, who had to drop out due to very low polling numbers. There is the real problem: without gobs of cash and a nasty attack message the sheeple won't pay attention to you.

Crap. I'm disgusted with both parties and with Congress more than I am the President.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
1/21/12 9:03 a.m.

What I want in a President is someone that looks really good in a 3 piece suite. I mean SHARP. And he has to really give a good speech that really uplifts me and makes me FEEL like he really CARES about ME. And he has to be able to read Goldman Sachs' teleprompter like he had it memorized or was just talking off the top of his head.
(Romney's top campaign contributors)

dankspeed
dankspeed Reader
1/21/12 9:16 a.m.

Uh, I would suggest the op has issues with race. Referring to black Americans as "black folks" sounds a bit demeaning. I voted for Obama last time but wont this time. I'm voting for ron Paul even if I have to write him in. No longer will I vote for the lesser of two evils. In regards to black Americans I doubt every black person who voted for Obama did so because they view him as "black" . Obama is biracial (don't forget his mother is white) . It annoys me to no end that people disregard the fact that he is the product of two races, not one.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
1/21/12 9:19 a.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote:
poopshovel wrote: Aside from black folk, is anyone really still EXCITED to vote for this ass hat?
z31maniac wrote: I don't know, D's seem to be the ones always bringin' up race. I'm not saying, I'm just saying......
Uh.

I'm talking about the media.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/21/12 9:25 a.m.
dankspeed wrote: Uh, I would suggest the op has issues with race. Referring to black Americans as "black folks" sounds a bit demeaning.

dankspeed, this is not a flame. I'd just like to point out that here in the South the word 'folks' is something of a colloquial expression, as in: white folks, black folks, Asian folks, European folks, military folks, etc. I have heard black Southerners refer to 'white folks' and it means no disrespect.

Grizz
Grizz Dork
1/21/12 9:36 a.m.

In reply to dankspeed:

Don't be ridiculous. Calling black folk black folk is exactly the same as calling white folk white folk. 0 got something like 97% of the black vote, and I seriously doubt the majority of them had any other reason than his color.

And as far as his biracialness, seems to me the only people who forgot were the ones who wanted his ass elected. Any time someone spoke against him they were called racist because 0 was black, not because he was biracial, throw in the media referring to the BoyKing as the first black preznint and not the first biracial one and it's pretty obvious who ignored his cracker momma.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
1/21/12 9:57 a.m.

ANARCHY

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/21/12 10:00 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: The current crop of Repubs are, in the very accurate words of my Democratic stepdad, like a bunch of clowns in a clown car. None of them have any real substance with the possible exception of Huntsman, who had to drop out due to very low polling numbers. There is the real problem: without gobs of cash and a nasty attack message the sheeple won't pay attention to you.

+1. Huntsman was the best candidate by a country mile.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/21/12 10:06 a.m.

Not to open a massive can of worms, but is it possible that Capitalism itself is no longer a good system for us? We keep holding on to it like a bad marriage just because its "patriotic."

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
1/21/12 10:08 a.m.

Wait. Why is there a political ad in the red GRM banner at the top of the page.

I never used the words sell out, but I've never notice it before.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel HalfDork
1/21/12 10:10 a.m.

I don't know if y'all want to hear from a Canadian, but please don't forget that a sizeable number of people voted for Obama because he wasn't McCain, and because his Vice President wasn't going to be Sarah Palin. Read David Plouffe's book if you want some insights into how the public responded to the McCain campaign's various stumbles and gaffes, including the way people reacted to Sarah Palin's Big Speech – the Obama campaign was getting thousands and thousands of new dollars every second while she spoke. At least part of the Great American Public was saying, "We may not be totally in love with This, but we sure as hell don't want That." And that's politics.

wbjones
wbjones SuperDork
1/21/12 10:18 a.m.
dankspeed wrote: In regards to black Americans I doubt every black person who voted for Obama did so because they view him as "black" .

not sure how true that is... can't remember who ( the media didn't stay on this story very long) but a extremely conservative right wing think tank member ( black man) had an editorial in many papers ( about 6 mo before the election) saying that even though he didn't agree/like ANY of the O's policies, he was going to vote for him.... BECAUSE of his color... said it was long overdue

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
1/21/12 10:19 a.m.
curtis73 wrote: Not to open a massive can of worms, but is it possible that Capitalism itself is no longer a good system for us? We keep holding on to it like a bad marriage just because its "patriotic."

It ain't perfect but it's the best we have. The alternatives simply do not work. Capitalism is fine but the crony capitalism we have now is killing everyone but the .1% and has go, hopefully without ruining the rest of the structure.

GlennS
GlennS Dork
1/21/12 10:23 a.m.

Healthcare reform

Wars seem to be ending

the end of don't ask don't tell

Reversed restrictions on stem cell research (berkeley YOU BUSH)

Extended Bush Tax cuts to people making less than 250k a year

keep in mind that for the second 2 years of his presidency a republican congress has had a strategy of "say no to everything" when it comes to Obama to keep him from getting anything done.

I'm a white guy. I'm excited to vote for this guy.

Way more excited then i would be about any of the Rep. candidates that's for sure.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/21/12 10:38 a.m.
GlennS wrote: Healthcare reform Wars seem to be ending the end of don't ask don't tell Reversed restrictions on stem cell research (berkeley YOU BUSH) Extended Bush Tax cuts to people making less than 250k a year keep in mind that for the second 2 years of his presidency a republican congress has had a strategy of "say no to everything" when it comes to Obama to keep him from getting anything done. I'm a white guy. I'm excited to vote for this guy. Way more excited then i would be about any of the Rep. candidates that's for sure.

Well-put. Also, the guy who was feared (by Cheney, especially) to be "soft on terrorism" racked up one helluva body count on the baddies.

He DID do stuff--no one wants to acknowledge it.

I'm fine with another 4 years of him.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
1/21/12 10:39 a.m.
wbjones wrote: If you are in favor of this, then by all means, delete this message. If you are not, then pass this along to help everyone realize just how much is at stake, knowing that apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.

You appear to have quoted a chain letter. You fail.

wbjones
wbjones SuperDork
1/21/12 10:49 a.m.
Salanis wrote:
wbjones wrote: If you are in favor of this, then by all means, delete this message. If you are not, then pass this along to help everyone realize just how much is at stake, knowing that apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.
You appear to have quoted a chain letter. You fail.

you are right ( though I did look up the original and didn't read to the very end were it was debunked ( then just copied copy I had ... my apologies ... and I have deleted the post

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
1/21/12 10:53 a.m.
GlennS wrote: Healthcare reform Wars seem to be ending the end of don't ask don't tell Reversed restrictions on stem cell research (berkeley YOU BUSH) Extended Bush Tax cuts to people making less than 250k a year keep in mind that for the second 2 years of his presidency a republican congress has had a strategy of "say no to everything" when it comes to Obama to keep him from getting anything done. I'm a white guy. I'm excited to vote for this guy. Way more excited then i would be about any of the Rep. candidates that's for sure.

Probably because we can't continue to spend $5 trillion more than we take in every three years?

I wanted Healthcare reform as well, just not the way he implemented it. I prefer the HSA route.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
1/21/12 10:57 a.m.
poopshovel wrote: He said absolutely jack squat aside from, effectively, "You just gotta keep hopin! And help me get re-elected, so we can get the change a'goin!"

A look at recent history doesn't bode well for candidates who say much more than that. Al Gore had a lot to say, but nobody wanted him to be President because he was "boring". Well we got someone who wasn't boring! Ye ha!

Ron Paul has a lot to say, a lot of which I agree with and a lot I don't. But nobody wants to vote for him either. We'll get Romney, because they think he can win, or Newt, because he... got really, really, really mad at a reporter when he had the nerve to ask about his personal life. Where was that Newt when he was crucifying Clinton? Or was that whole thing just an attack by the "liberal media" as well? I could stomach Romney, but if somehow Newt is in the White House I'll have to give solid thought to moving to Canada. Not because he's such and ass hole (he is) but because enough Americans were taken in by his nonsense to elect him.

1 2 3 4 ... 10

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
sqIUcAOEF7f1sf1tD8krVILQdG4mvs06NCLlIwHfsZaYdlxbvJBGGHUGBTyqakFp