1 2
z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
11/21/10 10:12 a.m.

Maybe because its Sunday, but apparently no white Russian for brunch for me.

They don't start serving until 12:30.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
11/21/10 10:24 a.m.

Welcome to the fine state i reside in... Apparently, alcohol is the devil mandated by Jesus himself to Georgia

wbjones
wbjones Dork
11/21/10 10:31 a.m.

N.C. = noon

Fit_Is_Slo
Fit_Is_Slo Reader
11/21/10 11:35 a.m.

Sonny Lied!

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
11/21/10 11:40 a.m.

Booze was illegal on Sunday for many years down here but was openly served in restaraunts on Sunday morning. The waiters wouldn't even blink if you asked for a Bloody Mary or similar, they'd just bring it to you.

porksboy
porksboy SuperDork
11/21/10 1:00 p.m.

Used to be only Fulton county was wet. The surrounding counties were dry. You would make a run to the county line where every road had a liquor store just inside the Fulton county line.

As for sundays it never makes sense to me that you could drink in a bar then find your way home, but if you wanted to drink at home you better plan for it the day before.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
11/21/10 1:39 p.m.

Swing by my place. You can have a brew or two.

minimac
minimac SuperDork
11/21/10 1:49 p.m.

A small price to pay for not having a nasty winter. Besides, Brunch is good 'til 1:30 or so.

Big ego
Big ego SuperDork
11/21/10 2:10 p.m.

Saw a guy take a dump right in the open in the middle of that nice centennial Olympic park downtown. We walked by some guy squatting and thought it weird. Later that day we doubled back through that section of the park and there was a nice steaming pile on a piece of cardboard.

Atlanta is very nice.

Gentlemanly? nope.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
11/21/10 3:49 p.m.

I don't get the "no alcohol on Sunday" law myself, but weird liquor laws are everywhere. I was recently on a trip to Pennsylvania and found if you didn't want to order beer by the drink in a bar, you could only buy it at a beer store which sold it by the 24-pack. No six packs. Apparently Pennsylvania has something against moderate drinking.

nervousdog
nervousdog Reader
11/21/10 5:55 p.m.
minimac wrote: A small price to pay for not having a nasty winter. besides, Brunch is good 'til 1:30 or so.

Brunch is supposed to be between breakfast and lunch. At 1:30 you would be having Lupper.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
11/21/10 6:03 p.m.

I know I'm gonna insult Atlanteans (is that even a word?) but I'd never live there. Too much like New York City, another place which doesn't have to worry about me contaminating the gene pool.

mndsm
mndsm Dork
11/21/10 6:24 p.m.

Minnesota is like that- though the convenience stores do sell beer on Sunday. Too bad it's frickin 3/2 piss water. Fortunately for me I'm about 30min from the WI border, and I think they quit selling liquor from like 4-6 am every third tuesday in the month of august when there's a full moon and it's an even numbered day.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/21/10 6:33 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: I don't get the "no alcohol on Sunday" law myself, but weird liquor laws are everywhere. I was recently on a trip to Pennsylvania and found if you didn't want to order beer by the drink in a bar, you could only buy it at a beer store which sold it by the 24-pack. No six packs. Apparently Pennsylvania has something against moderate drinking.

Well... that isn't exactly true. A bar or grocery can sell up to 144oz of beer (2 6 packs) in a single purchase. If it is a grocery - they have to ring it in a separate area - not over the same counter as the rest of the fare. There is nothing really stopping you from going in/out 100x to get as much as you want.

A beer "distributor" cannot sell broken cases (so as not to undercut the bar/grocery biz) so you have to buy by the case, or keg, etc.

They can all be open on Sunday as of 4yrs ago. Previously at least 50% of your business had to be from the sale of food (restaurant/bar) in order to sell alcohol on Sunday.

None of the above can sell liquor. That has to be a special store for wine and spirits.

See, simple That is what you get when the state runs the liquor business.

integraguy
integraguy Dork
11/21/10 7:41 p.m.

Tn. has that same "no alcohol before noon" law in most places, too.

When I lived in Florida, Duval County had a no liquor sold on sunday law, which seemed silly since you could drive out of the county and buy it. That was 20+ years ago, I don't know what it's like now,

In Tn. liquor stores sell only booze, they can't sell ANYTHING resembling food. Apparently, no beef jerky, no cocktail peanuts, no cheese doodles, nothing that is edible...just drinkable. They also CAN'T sell corkscrews, duh? Grocery stores sell beer, and even Walgreen's Drug stores sell beer, but grocery stores can't sell wine...yet.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
11/22/10 5:51 a.m.

The Puritans of Massachusetts don't allow ANY alcohol to be sold on Suday last time I was there.

New York you did have to wait until noon, that was recently dropped.

Dan

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/22/10 5:54 a.m.

A gentlemen shouldn't have to run out on sunday anyway, there should always be some on hand.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
11/22/10 7:52 a.m.

We can't buy at all on Sundays.

minimac
minimac SuperDork
11/22/10 7:58 a.m.

I am the only one here that remembers "Blue Laws"? Almost everything was closed on Sundays. Bars, stores, gas stations.....it really wasn't such a bad thing, either.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
11/22/10 7:59 a.m.

In SC when I was little, you couldn't buy any alcohol anywhere on Sunday (except a private country club (wink wink) or maybe a military base). No stores were open. It was called the Blue Laws. Then Majik Market came to town and were open in Sunday, but didn't sell beer or wine. Slowly the Blue Laws were modified and local towns started selling alcohol by the drink only to support the tourist trade. Not every town could pass sucha law though. Select towns are slowly adding sale of containers. I don't drink much any more so I really don't give a rip.

I agree with Wally, a gentleman should not run out.

dimeadozen
dimeadozen Reader
11/22/10 9:24 a.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: Welcome to the fine state i reside in... Apparently, alcohol is the devil mandated by Jesus himself to Georgia

I never understood the state's view on alcohol in North Carolina... "Not only will we allow hard liquor to be sold, shoot, we'll even run all of the stores that sell it. But it's frowned upon by some types, so we'll call the establishments "Package Stores"."

Here in CO, the liquor stores recently successfully petitioned the state to allow them to sell on Sunday, citing the sales tax revenue the state was losing. However, their estimates were wrong, and their Sunday sales have been only a portion of what they anticipated.

Now, convenience stores are petitioning to be able to sell full strength beer, and the same liquor stores are up in arms and presenting estimates to the state of the monetary losses they would suffer if they had to compete for beer sales.

DukeOfUndersteer
11/22/10 9:48 a.m.

They have been petitioning for Alcohol Sales in Georgia since i moved here in 01, but the religious groups somehow get the motions denied... I mean, wouldnt that help state revenue if you are collecting taxes on alcohol sales?

cwh
cwh SuperDork
11/22/10 10:02 a.m.

When I grew up in Ohio, the blue laws forbade the sale of milk, but permitted the sale of 3.2 beer.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
11/22/10 10:22 a.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: They have been petitioning for Alcohol Sales in Georgia since i moved here in 01, but the religious groups somehow get the motions denied... I mean, wouldnt that help state revenue if you are collecting taxes on alcohol sales?

Outside the metro-Atlanta area, the religious lobby still has a lot of influence. The burbs have struggled for years to allow Sunday sales at restaurants and still meet strong resistance from the pulpit pundits.

Atlanta is truly an oasis - for things good and bad. The rest of the state thinks/behaves in an opposite manner.

DukeOfUndersteer
11/22/10 10:28 a.m.
oldsaw wrote:
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: They have been petitioning for Alcohol Sales in Georgia since i moved here in 01, but the religious groups somehow get the motions denied... I mean, wouldnt that help state revenue if you are collecting taxes on alcohol sales?
Outside the metro-Atlanta area, the religious lobby still has a lot of influence. The burbs have struggled for years to allow Sunday sales at restaurants and still meet strong resistance from the pulpit pundits. Atlanta is truly an oasis - for things good and bad. The rest of the state thinks/behaves in an opposite manner.

Quoted for the troof! There was a recent incident where the City of Duluth was allowed to sell Alcohol in restaurants on Sundays, but was quickly overturned by a Atlanta Supreme Court Judge saying it was Unconstitutional...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jjEpvstIef1f9hH2fWEEFAUxO0JNf3VxA9Erc22uL63NHLzujDAn3IgDITguhLjC