1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13
sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
2/4/21 5:16 p.m.

Ugh, November 2 until Leviathan Falls comes out cool

On another note, it was really cool seeing how the Laconian ships were visualized vs what I had in my head reading the past couple of books.  Cortazar is also looking...healthy.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/4/21 8:46 p.m.

Finally watched #10 tonight. Damn... that was good. Sux about Alex... the way it was filmed it almost looks like they "killed" him in post-production and then added some re-shoots with the remaining characters.

I also bought all of the books (1-8) although I may wait until the series is over to read them.  Somewhat more fun to not know what's going to happen.  

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
2/4/21 11:54 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

I discovered the show just before this thread... had not run across the books. Wish I had read them first; I'd rather read a good book than sit at the boob tube, But now I will wait a while for the show to get to the back of the memories before starting the books.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
2/5/21 5:51 a.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

Finally watched #10 tonight. Damn... that was good. Sux about Alex... the way it was filmed it almost looks like they "killed" him in post-production and then added some re-shoots with the remaining characters.

I also bought all of the books (1-8) although I may wait until the series is over to read them.  Somewhat more fun to not know what's going to happen.  

Pretty sure that's what they did. Apparently there have been accusations of him harassing female fans. Producers decided not to bring him back for Season 6 as a result.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/5/21 6:07 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

Yes, that's what I've heard as well. Almost ironic since he was one of the driving forces in getting the show saved. The ensemble scene on Luna might have been tricky - my WAG is they removed him via some CGI editing and maybe some shot cropping. 

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/5/21 9:00 a.m.

The series is not the books. Mrs AAZCD glares at me and tells me to stop ruining it every time I tell her, "That's not how it *really* happened." I was expecting the series to have the uncomfortable moment where they said, "The character of Alex Kamal, now played by...". They have really made great choices in the production. The casting and characters has been perfect. When I was in the books, Cas Anvar was my image of Alex - as were all the other characters being played in my mind by the actors (except where they diverge too far; Michio Pa, Sam etc..). I'm glad that they are not replacing Cas/Alex and I'm looking forward to how the story develops in the series.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
2/5/21 9:17 a.m.

In reply to AAZCD (Forum Supporter) :

I agree. I think it does one of the better jobs of adapting the books to TV. The broad strokes are the same (the main antagonists and central tension), but lots of details are changed. Each is created very much to play to the strengths of and away from the weaknesses of each medium. (Although I don't picture Alex in the books as looking like Cas. He's much shorter, dumpier, chubbier, and balder in my head.)

Like how Avasarala is a major character in the show and only gets referenced occasionally in the books.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/9/21 8:20 a.m.

They definitely have done a good job of adapting it-  I had the same experience of reading the books after seeing the first few seasons, and don't have any real problems with how they have handled things. Since each chapter of the books is told from the perspective of one of the characters there's a LOT of internal dialog/thoughts that are difficult to really convey onto the screen at times and I think they've done a solid job of handling that. I actually liked how Chrissy and Bobbi were incorporated into the story a lot earlier on than they were in the books- it was a bit jarring at first but it helped with fleshing them out and getting the audience more invested in them when they needed to be.

After finishing this season I went back and re-read Babylon's Ashes, the book the next season should cover. Will be interesting to see how it gets changed- I wonder if they'll leave Prax's storyline out of it completely or not. It will also be interesting to see how things go with the Drummer/Pa thing, since Pa's break didn't happen until a while into things whereas Drummer split off much earlier- and also has a very different ship and situation (with having her family split up already).

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
2/9/21 10:24 a.m.

I also enjoy that there are characters that are done better in the show and others that are done better in the books.

In the show: Amos, Avasarala, and Drummer are freaking awesome. The books don't seem to really know how to make Amos feel 3-dimensional, Avasarala is a footnote, and I don't even recall Drummer.

Miller is a washed up drunk spiraling the drain the books, and in the show... he's Tom Jane. It's like trying to throw a baggy sweater and coke bottle glasses on Zoey Deschanel or Sandra Bullock and pretending they're not gorgeous.

Bobbie feels like a marine in the books. In the show, they found a good Actress with the right physical size, but she doesn't look like she's ever live fired a gun or punched someone in anger.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/9/21 10:27 a.m.

Drummer was Fred Johnson's second in command at Tycho. In the series she replaced Michio Pa. An interesting switch. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
2/9/21 11:22 a.m.
bobzilla said:

Drummer was Fred Johnson's second in command at Tycho. In the series she replaced Michio Pa. An interesting switch. 

It is probably the most notable/curious switch- my best guess was that they were trying to keep the number of more major characters that you had to keep track of down so combined the two. How well they handle it will really be seen in the next season (and the following season or two, if they're ever made...).

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/9/21 3:25 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

I have a sneaky suspicion that if they go past the next book they will just kinda skip the time lapse between the books.

Ashyukun (Robert)
2/9/21 3:41 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

They had initially announced that Season 6 would be the last, but from Wiki "the authors of the novels and writers on the series, Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck, have stated that they view season 6 as a "pause" rather than a conclusion and that Alcon Entertainment "is very committed to the IP", so if they're going to stop for a while after S6 then it makes sense to bring it to the end of Babylon's Ashes and end it before the (first) time jump. Heck, waiting 5 years or more so that they have to do less makeup/digital aging of the cast wouldn't hurt. I can't see them outright skipping the time jump though... there's enough that has to happen (Bobbi & Peaches- and the new pilot in the TV series- really becoming part of the crew, the space trade union coming into its own and the construction of the big city ships/stations that will take a lot of time, the Laconians building the big super-battleships...) between S6 and any further series/movies that it just makes sense to keep the jump. You could perhaps better argue that the second time jump isn't as necessary, or doesn't have to be as long, but I think the gap between Babylon and Persepolis is necessary.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/9/21 3:53 p.m.

I mean, its TV so it doesn't always have to make sense and sometimes gets glossed over. But I agree, it would make explaining a lot of things better.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
2/9/21 10:26 p.m.
Beer Baron said:

Miller is a washed up drunk spiraling the drain the books, and in the show... he's Tom Jane. It's like trying to throw a baggy sweater and coke bottle glasses on Zoey Deschanel or Sandra Bullock and pretending they're not gorgeous.

Thomas Jane looked so physically wasting away, I had to look up if it was the same guy I was thing of. I hope he does not look that bad in real life these days. He LOOKED exactly like a washed up drunk, and acted the part well also. I hope is lost all that weight and looked and acted  so used up just for the show.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/10/21 7:00 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

I've seen him in other movies and he looks decent. I think hes a good character actor.

Ashyukun (Robert)
8/26/21 6:04 p.m.

Any guesses as to what I'm building? (I'm less than halfway through the build so it's only kind of starting to take shape...)

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
8/26/21 6:09 p.m.

Rosenatia?

Lobsterpennies
Lobsterpennies New Reader
8/26/21 8:25 p.m.

Minifig scale?

BenB
BenB HalfDork
8/26/21 9:16 p.m.

Donnager?

Ashyukun (Robert)
8/29/21 1:56 a.m.
Lobsterpennies said:

Minifig scale?

Yikes... thankfully not- assuming you assume a minifig is a 5’9” tall person that would (assuming the wiki is right that the Roci is 46 meters/138 feet long) mean the model would have to be over 3 feet long, and it’s roughly 2 feet long- so about 2/3 minifig scale. Given the design is nearly 6000 pieces at the size it is, I shudder to think how many pieces a minifig scale one would be...

I have toyed with trying to design a minifig scale MOC of the bridge of the Roci once I finish building this though...

Ashyukun (Robert)
8/29/21 2:01 a.m.

In reply to Indy "Nub" Guy :

I think yes? It’s a fairly large (over 5800 pieces) fan design model of the Rocinante as it appears in the 4th season of the tv series. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
8/29/21 2:03 a.m.
BenB said:

Donnager?

No- though there is a (ironically smaller scale) design someone made of the Donnager: Donnager MOC

Lobsterpennies
Lobsterpennies New Reader
8/30/21 4:46 p.m.

It's only another foot for gods sake, suck it up! Just kidding of course, looking forward to more pics

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
8/30/21 5:03 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

In reply to Indy "Nub" Guy :

I think yes? It’s a fairly large (over 5800 pieces) fan design model of the Rocinante as it appears in the 4th season of the tv series. 

Yeah, I can't spell worth a darn.  That's what I was trying to guess.

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8DTNwsND41R21QvvRVqaKv4pa0JHPS9AhmysgGdHZyImxZGCehDW3hBHchwKojtR