1 2
No Time
No Time SuperDork
5/12/22 12:46 p.m.

My oldest son is graduation this month from the vocational high school and was in their auto tech program. Between ADHD and anxiety it's been a struggle for him to get to the point and we want to recognize the effort and work that went into getting his diploma.

He is not interested in college at this time, and want to get a full time job as an auto tech. I can understand, he needs a break from the academics and want to test out his skills in the real world  

I'm looking for suggestion on what to get him as a graduation gift. Some ideas that have come up are:

Cash - always the right size, but his financial skills and budgeting leave something to be desired. It's skills we'll be working in with him over the next few years before he moves out on his own, but probably not a great gift. 

Apple Watch - I don't see it lasting a long time since he would wear it to work and probably scratch or bang it up. 

Tools - this one seems to be a possibility, but also seems like a let down since it's something he's use for work. I'm open to suggestions on this one, but figured we'd help him get on his feet with tools anyway. 

Miata? - just kidding, but seems like this is always the answer on here, but a tough sell to SWMBO.  Although I did consider the idea of offering to help with down payment and co-signing on something once he gets a job. Something like the RS AnthonyGS is selling or the Miata Jerry just sold and in that price range. Cool enough to get attention at a cruise night, enough power to be fun without wanting to bite you, and reliable enough to get to work everyday.

So let's here what you have to suggest! 

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/12/22 12:58 p.m.

Not a toolbox but a nice roll around cart with a few drawers. You could always throw some $$$ in one of the drawers. 

A topside creeper. Do they make life easier! A very much under appreciated tool!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/12/22 1:08 p.m.

Quality tools.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/12/22 1:09 p.m.

I say tools.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
5/12/22 2:04 p.m.

I was going to suggest a Snap-On gift card (assuming there is such a thing), but then it occurred to me that you might want to reach out to his favourite auto-tech teacher and get their input. He/she might know about something your son has worked with or heard about in school that would be the perfect choice.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
5/12/22 2:09 p.m.

In reply to Stealthtercel :

That is a really great idea. I hadn't thought of asking him. 

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/12/22 2:10 p.m.

A service truck so he can start a mobile Auto tech business? 

No Time
No Time SuperDork
5/12/22 2:25 p.m.
NY Nick said:

A service truck so he can start a mobile Auto tech business? 

I think he needs to get some more real world experience before doing something like this, but when he's focused I think he has the drive to eventually go out on his own. 

Now to go search CL and FB for service trucks anyway. 

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
5/12/22 2:29 p.m.

Does he already have tools? Because of course tools if he needs them. They never go out of style and the size is almost always right.

A gold 3/8 ratchet from ICON brand at Harbor Freight.... Actually a nice piece, several of my students have bought Icon. Flashy and functional

Gold Ratchet

In the same spirit the Harbor Freight roll cart is actually a great deal (look for a coupon or sale) and a great starter box that can come home when you move into a "Big Box" or stay as a roll cart.

Roll cart this one is gray but they come in colors

A starter set of Milwaukee (or your chosen brand) electric mechanics tools. Impact, ratchet, drill?

Some money, who doesn't like money?

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
5/12/22 2:29 p.m.

Tools. Might seem boring but, and I speak from experience as a tech, techs love tools. It's a benefit of the job just being able to buy tools. I'd say a gift certificate for some quality tools. Or better yet, have an arm and a leg amputated and put on ice and give them to him. Then when the Snap-On guy comes around he can really get some tools!

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/12/22 2:30 p.m.

I’d plus one on the tool box, roll away. Tools and loves may come and go, but a good tool box is forever.

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
5/12/22 2:33 p.m.

Before you buy tools yourself see is he is already enrolled in or can enroll in Snap On student excellence program. Huge discounts for him as a student and about 6 months after he graduates.

Snap on student program

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/12/22 2:51 p.m.

Milwaukee Fuel impact and rachet

BenB
BenB HalfDork
5/12/22 5:45 p.m.

Box of 10 mm sockets.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/12/22 5:55 p.m.

Basic set of tools, and a good code reader. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/12/22 7:13 p.m.

High quality torque wrench. 

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/12/22 7:23 p.m.

An additional class on working on EVs. Seriously. Fewer things go sideways with them, so developing expertise on the jobs that need to be done comes sooner when you focus on them and EV owners have their vehicles better maintained and by professionals. You'll never have an EV owner decline a job proclaiming that their cousin will do it cheaper. 

Crxpilot
Crxpilot HalfDork
5/12/22 7:29 p.m.

Torque wrench.  "Flip" sockets that have 2 lug nut sizes.  Plastic trim pry tools.  Nice tire inflator/gauge.  Funnels.  That harbor freight rolling tool cart or topside creeper are both super helpful.  Pig mats and thick rubber gloves.  Headband lights or the 4' underhood lights.  

Under car tools handy for entry-level mechanic jobs.  Yes, the stigma that comes with "work" tools, but he can use all these for a long time.

Folgers
Folgers New Reader
5/12/22 7:50 p.m.

Take him to a shoe store that caters to the trades. Buy him a real nice pair of work boots. He will be spending his days standing on concrete, and lifting heavy things. 

People talk about how much fancy sneakers cost. Wait till you wear out a $200-$300 pair of boots in six to nine months.  

Other than shoes, soap on a rope. 

It’s a long hard road to make it in auto repair. I wish him the best of luck. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/12/22 10:32 p.m.
Rons said:

I’d plus one on the tool box, roll away. Tools and loves may come and go, but a good tool box is forever.

I would normally agree, but a toolbox can be a pretty personal choice.  Hard to predict what configuration he might need.

I would pick a tool that is a staple of any auto tech's box and get him a really good version of it.  I find that the really commonly-used tools are the ones that need to be the ones with good money behind them, but he might not have the money to get the good one.  Kind of like when your kid turns 16 and you want to get them a car, you don't necessarily buy them the $600 clapped out Dodge, you might choose to spend some coin and get them a nice, safe Corolla.  Something they can abuse and it will be with them for a long time.

So,
- Toolbox (with his input on which one)
- 1/2" pneumatic impact.  Brands are tough in this category.  I have a Campbell Hausfeld that I have abused for 30 years and it's amazing.  Brands like Snap On or Mac you'll pay through the nose, but I don't think you'll be buying any better quality, just cred and marketing.  I also have an HF Earthquake that is wonderful, but that can be like the new kid showing up at middle school with Sketchers and all the Nike-wearing kids looking down their noses.  There is a time for frugal, but new tools at a new job with a newly-graduated kid? .... get him the Nikes.  You know how you can hear 30 cars pull into a parking lot and not care, but then a brappy rotary or a lumpy-cammed V8 rolls in and you pay attention?  Same goes for a new tech in the shop.  You hear 6 run-of-the-mill impacts, then you hear a fancy hi-quality quiet gun from the bay with the new tech and ears perk up.  It will be a conversation at lunch for sure.  I would shoot for something that is a well-respected name, but I don't see the need for Snap On.  It's been so long since I've bought one that I can't recommend what 
- cordless milwaukee drill/driver combo.  (I use this for 1/4" and 3/8" drive sockets constantly instead of pneumatic)  He can then add cordless tools to the kit as needed, like grinder, sawzall, etc
- Not sure if he's sentimental, but if he is, include something personal from your own collection.  It could be a tool that someone gave you at his age, or maybe even a product that you grew up using.  When my dad bought me my first Craftsman tool set, he included a spray can of PB Blaster with a little story about how his dad always used it because it was better than that WD40 junk. (grandpa's words).
- I will also echo the quality torque wrench.  Torque-limiting impact extensions are nice as well for reinstalling wheels.
- You might also consider buying him something he wouldn't normally buy because it's a "fringe" tool, but it can help him get more R.O.s in the shop.  I got a lot of jobs because I owned a coolant pressure tester, oil pressure tester, A/C manifolds, noid light, and some old-school drum brake tools.  Some of those tools a new tech won't buy for themselves because they only get used once in a while, but when you have them, DANG are they ever handy.
- Good quality Fluke multimeter
- Good quality OBD2 scanner with all the bells and whistles.
- Good quality IR laser temp gauge

And 1000 congratulations to your son.  You (and he) have every reason to be proud.

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
5/12/22 11:48 p.m.

Get the gold ratchet and have it personally engraved. Older generations got an engraved watch as a graduation gift, here's a mech's twist on that.

For practicality, I vote for quality work boots.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/13/22 12:21 a.m.

The EV idea is a tremendous one. 

No Time
No Time SuperDork
5/13/22 9:51 a.m.

Thanks for the great ideas, and if something else comes to mind please share. 

His shop teacher also recommended the Milwaukee battery powered tools. 

No Time
No Time SuperDork
5/13/22 12:24 p.m.

I also stumbled across this:

2003 gold plated wrench set

I'm toying with the idea of getting it and adding an engraved plate to it since he was born in 2003. 

SWMBO thinks we should for us on tools he can use, but I'm thinking maybe we do this so he has a keepsake , since tools for work will wear out, and still help with tools to get him started on the job. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
5/13/22 12:36 p.m.

3/8 in.  Drive Professional Ratchet, Genuine 24 Karat Gold Plated

$70

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gZL6dJiGIdGGR5zFfVfbYyZH56ZDRh5e9JAiDXLGGKGe9ig8w3WwWuQcHHPwnPsU