Storz
Storz SuperDork
3/31/16 9:42 a.m.

I am a GShock fanboi

GA1000 I picked up last week

cwh
cwh PowerDork
3/31/16 10:44 a.m.

I bought a Seiko Kinetic two years ago. Wear it 24/7. Yesterday it stopped, now only reads correct time twice a day. Any suggestions on getting it repaired? I really like it.

WilD
WilD HalfDork
3/31/16 11:25 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Is this Seiko a true automatic or are these the weird "automatic quartz" watches I've read about?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/31/16 11:49 a.m.
WilD wrote: In reply to David S. Wallens: Is this Seiko a true automatic or are these the weird "automatic quartz" watches I've read about?

A Seiko 5 is a true automatic:

https://www.seikowatches.com/5sports/seiko5story/index.html

(I'm wearing one now, in fact.)

WilD
WilD HalfDork
3/31/16 12:13 p.m.

Awesome, now I want one... Unfortunately, a quick look at the Seiko website and some googling leads me to believe $40 is an unusually good price for one of these. I am also seeing some things that make me suspect counterfeit goods. Basically, one site selling what appears to be the same model watch as another but one is literally a third of the price.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/16 1:10 p.m.

I had a Seiko 5, but my wife liked it. Now I have no Seiko 5. I don't actually like automatics that much myself.

I've got a bunch of Soviet-era watches that I've collected over the years. They're fun because they're different and inexpensive, one or two wildly so. I like to wear this one to car events because car guys like square watches. It's now on a wider rally strap with red stitching to pick up on the red on the dial.

I lost this one to my wife as well. It's quite elegant in person, but small.

The craziest of the Russians. I've got it on the black rally strap above now, it works well on the watch.

The one I tend to wear the most, there's just something about it. It's heavily worn, somebody used this thing for years and years.

My usual daily wear is either a Citizen Eco-drive, a big chunky hammer of an Invicta or a Victorinox Classic Chrono on a NATO band. All chronographs because I do legitimately have to time stuff on a regular basis, and the Victorinox in particular is easy to trigger while driving and clocks to 0.1 second. The NATO band also lets me wear it over driving gloves

And there's the fanciest, a proper Speedmaster moonwatch. I figure this guy's an investment, I bought it used and it's holding value. It's on the metal band right now and it just feels great on the wrist. Such a treat to wear.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/31/16 4:32 p.m.

Used to own a rad Ren & Stimpy watch that displayed "Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy" when you wiggled your wrist. God I miss that watch.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
3/31/16 6:35 p.m.

in order... Vacheron Constantin - upper left, Paketa - upper right, Accutron 214 - lower left, and TRD automatic built by Orient Watch company - lower right

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
3/31/16 10:22 p.m.

I've been recently looking for something under $150 and the Fossil Pilot 54 has caught my eye:

https://www.fossil.com/us/en/search/pilot-54-chronograph-black-leather-watch-sku-fs5181p.html

Does anyone have any experience with Fossil watches?

jere
jere HalfDork
3/31/16 11:04 p.m.
cwh wrote: I bought a Seiko Kinetic two years ago. Wear it 24/7. Yesterday it stopped, now only reads correct time twice a day. Any suggestions on getting it repaired? I really like it.

As a non professional watch smith apprentice, just about all modern watches have replaceable movements. A small screwdriver set is all the tools you need. Next is some good google skills. Most cheap Kellogg's cereal box watches seem to share movements with much more expesive watches.

jere
jere HalfDork
3/31/16 11:05 p.m.

Does the clock on my phone count as a pocket watch?

Those soviet watches are damn cool btw!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/1/16 12:19 a.m.

I have a Slava Soviet medical watch. This one isn't mine, but mine looks just like it.

Something inside broke, so our local jeweler sent it off. The prognosis wasn't good, so it has been sitting in a desk drawer since.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/16 8:48 a.m.
Brian wrote: I've also been wanting a Waltham, ideally circa 1910's. Both my G-grandfather and GG-uncle worked there at that point.

I have a 1903 Waltham. It belonged to my great-great grandfather. He was a Civil War veteran.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/1/16 8:59 a.m.

any of you guys know anyone who has one of these? Or even just played around on the site? or any others for actually configuring a unique watch, not just printing a dial?

http://www.eoniq.co/

http://unitywatches.com/en/

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder PowerDork
4/5/16 12:19 p.m.

Lots and lots of old Heuer divers, Seikos and micro brands here…but then I got really wrapped up in running and now I just wear my Garmin Fenix3 sapphire daily. It's logged about 1200 running miles since I got it in July.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/5/16 1:32 p.m.

I'm not really into watches, but I know a guy who is into clocks.

He's got a couple original Robert-Houdin mystery clocks from the 1800s and he has fixed and refurbished them (among just about every other kind of complicated, small, mechanical device ever). He is retired and just does it as a hobby, but he does all kinds of esoteric stuff like rare clocks, nautical navigation instruments (like one of the first pendulum powered clocks that is insulated by gyroscopes so it actually keeps correct time on a boat that is constantly rocking), mechanical betting machines, etc.

Looks like david copperfield also has a couple of the mystery clocks.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/5/16 2:48 p.m.
bluej wrote: In reply to thatsnowinnebago: What sorta office do you work in that that doesn't fit??

The field watch look doesn't really fit business wear. It would probably be ok with a leather band but I've got other watches I wear to work.

Keith Tanner
4/5/16 3:07 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: Lots and lots of old Heuer divers, Seikos and micro brands here…but then I got really wrapped up in running and now I just wear my Garmin Fenix3 sapphire daily. It's logged about 1200 running miles since I got it in July.

My wife just replaced her Nike+ watch with a Garmin 220. She's in love with it. Not to the point of wearing it to the office, though...

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder PowerDork
4/5/16 3:15 p.m.

My wife has the 230. She's wearing it daily. We added a teal band that is a little more feminine than the original black one. Works fine under a lab coat.

Gary
Gary Dork
4/5/16 3:46 p.m.

I have around 10 watches but limit usage to 3-4 favorites. None of them were more than $350, and most were under $100. Like most, I tend to buy based on what appeals to my taste and sense of style, but since I'm frugal, price has always been a major factor. I'd love to have a Daytona or Monaco, but ... the most recent watch I purchased a few months ago was an analog Casio black face with white numerals and hands, with a plastic strap. Final price was $20 using Annie's Kohl's coupons. (Come to think of it, it was free to me because she charged it to her Kohl's card and never collected from me ).

But I do like Christopher Ward's designs, and the prices aren't too crazy. I'm thinking about splurging on this one:

http://www.christopherward.com/mobile/watches/sport/c70-gb1926-svrt.html

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
4/6/16 3:21 a.m.

A watch thread here got me into the hobby and now it's another money sink! I mostly stick to Seikos... great value and lots of options from <$100 Seiko 5 series watches to gorgeous Grand Seikos. Buying used on forums is fun and you can minimize your losses from flipping. I haven't yet pulled the trigger on a Speedy or a Grand Seiko... someday.

johnnie
johnnie New Reader
4/7/16 7:59 a.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: in order... Vacheron Constantin - upper left, Paketa - upper right, Accutron 214 - lower left, and TRD automatic built by Orient Watch company - lower right

That spaceview is a winner!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
4/8/16 10:15 a.m.

I am at about 16 watches right now (a mix of vintages, Russian/Soviet and watches I put together myself).

I have only bought one this year though because of buying a house and moving.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/8/16 11:17 a.m.

this thread inspired me to grab a new battery and a new strap for a watch that has been languishing in my drawer for years.

The original strap was brown leather, and it and the watch itself were covered in years of funk from wearing it 24/7. Not bad for a $2 battery and a $10 strap and a few minutes of cleaning. Now I have something else to put on when I take my plastic timex ironman triathlon watch off when wearing a suit.

Keith Tanner
4/8/16 11:43 a.m.

I picked up one of these a few years back - I had one in high school, and I felt I needed another. Swatch Blackout.

Messes with people, although these days it looks more like some sort of Fitbit than anything else.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
58kAqtDIfx1aTOkHb53S7ZCWHdEUbezJw3Ca0JV1NOuZROfKVCk3vr1YSXm6DzCB