Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
7/29/19 12:43 p.m.

Title is self explanatory.  I"ve used leather butter in the past, it works well, but seems to work best if liberally rubbed in and left, often best if left for a week to soak in before buffing and putting back in service.  Any suggestions for something that's actually effective, but can just be applied and used, or applied, left overnight and used?

TIA

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
7/29/19 12:47 p.m.

Lexol. Using it for 20 years. Cleaner and conditioner

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
7/30/19 6:16 p.m.

Definitely Leatherique.  Expensive but worth it.  Lexol is good as a second choice. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
7/30/19 7:34 p.m.

In reply to conesare2seconds :

I second leatherique it works wonders on the rock hard cardboard leather in some of my Jaguars.  If you use it and then close the car up it will smell like pears. But it turns rock hard leather into butter soft.  Sometimes it takes a time or three to get it from rock to butter but it will get it there.  As far as the smell of pears leave the windows down in the garage and it goes away.  

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
7/30/19 8:26 p.m.

I got a bad batch of griots garage (or whatever) conditioner and it Ruined my perfect leather in a car I no longer have. Took it from flawless to cracking and splitting all over, over night. Been using their products for decades with good luck when not buying from an industrial detailing supply place that I usually do business with. 

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
7/30/19 9:02 p.m.

We've tried plenty of stuff at work. Lexol, Saddle Soap, Horseman's One Step.

Best thing we've tried so far is Venetian Shoe Cream.

No fake leathery smell, no residue and it makes 100+ year old leather soft again.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
7/30/19 9:33 p.m.

Leatherique is it.  I have Lexol too and it’s good stuff,  but leatherique is the best I’ve used.

edit:  I have not tried Venetian shoe cream.  I will get some and give it a shot.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/30/19 11:15 p.m.

For quick results I'd say Lexol - you can rub it in and buff it off in a few minutes.  Leatherique is better but the treatment takes a lot longer.

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/31/19 12:30 p.m.
sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
7/31/19 1:22 p.m.

Which of these is the better choice for coated/sealed leather? The S2000 has been getting the Chemical Guys cleaner/conditioner treatment, but I'm honestly not sure if it's actually doing anything to keep the leather in good shape.

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
7/31/19 1:23 p.m.

The other important question is, is it real leather or the "pleather" that comes in new cars?

If it's the fake plastic stuff they pass of as leather nowadays, I have no idea.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/31/19 1:58 p.m.
ShawnG said:

No fake leathery smell, no residue and it makes 100+ year old leather soft again.

Would you be able to share a photo of the Venetian shoe cream? Very interested in finding some. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/31/19 2:06 p.m.
dyintorace said:
ShawnG said:

Would you be able to share a photo of the Venetian shoe cream? Very interested in finding some. 

https://www.amazon.com/Venetian-Shoe-Cream-Ounces-Neutral/dp/B00QKXAGXW

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
7/31/19 2:06 p.m.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/31/19 2:08 p.m.

Thanks!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SfusBsN75y0JZGl4JOCn6UpLFrOdqljd2yVXZKt4rWAk1XfCAhmkf6tSDSFkx3jj