1 2 3
yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/9/22 1:32 p.m.

Ah another thread to complain. 

I much rather climb into a vehicle then fold into one. Even my 190e is hard to get in and out of for me. I'm not a big dude. My Expedition is perfect size but the mirrors are a bit small when I tow. I miss that about my Excursion.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/9/22 1:51 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:
Duke said:

The current vehicular situation was caused by people buying SUVs at least in part so they could "see over" other traffic.

Well guess what, that was an arms race that ended in stalemate with everybody driving SUVs. At this point y'all still can't see over traffic, except now everybody is 18" farther off the ground.

You know what didn't get 18" taller?

Pedestrians, bicyclists, and motorcyclists.

And Miatas.

This is all very well explained by evolution.  Species of vehicle that are unable to evolve will lack those traits necessary for survival and eventually cease to exist.

People get concerned when one of those vehicles is "people" :)

Keith Tanner
4/9/22 1:57 p.m.
wae said:
Keith Tanner said:

I like the fact that if I want to change lanes that turn signal is a warning not a request.

That sort of thought process is what worries the drivers of smaller cars. Right of way does not actually change with size. 

Maybe not, but when I have that guy who wants to speed up to me then park in my blind spot on my left side, all I have to do is start easing towards the lane marker and riding the extreme left side of my lane.  It works even better with the trailer attached.  9 out of 10 times they will stomp one of the pedals and either resume going faster than me or fall in behind.  That trick doesn't work as well in the NA or the 5 or the Neon.  The motorhome is pretty much already riding the edges of the lane on both sides.

Agreed, sometimes you've gotta use your bulk if you're about to have a problem because of that bulk. And clearing the blind spot by easing over to the edge of the lane is a legit technique. 

For lane changes while towing (at that point the rig is 50' long and weighs over 10 tons), I put the signal on early as a request and see if I can get someone to give me some space. Emergency avoidance is difficult for me with that mass, so I like to give people lots of warning and work cooperatively. But there are occasions where it does end up being a warning because I'm soon not going to have a choice in the matter. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/9/22 1:59 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Be that as it may, you can't ignore the science!  cheeky

Keith Tanner
4/9/22 2:19 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:
Keith Tanner said:

Be that as it may, you can't ignore the science!  cheeky

And who are we to meddle with evolution?

Error404
Error404 HalfDork
4/9/22 2:23 p.m.

If it's not the size of a house, do you even truck bro?

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/9/22 2:33 p.m.
wae said:

I remember driving the Miata once and looking in my rear-view mirror at the grille of some new truck from Toyota.  I couldn't figure out what it was...  new Tacoma? New Highlander?  I just couldn't figure it out.

Then I realized it was a Corolla.

A few years ago I was driving my Spitfire home from work.  I was cruising down a back road in light traffic and noticed an odd looking grill behind me. "That is a strangest CUV I've seen... I wonder what it is..."  Then I had to stop for a turning car and the "CUV" got right behind me.

It was a Smart car.

Drive a Spitfire around for a while. Even a Miata looks big when you're in one of those.  On the bright side, instead of seeing over traffic, I can do surprisingly well at looking under traffic.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HmXj1KCBmR5VA6WhL7FFbnn67gfbky3XSHFBWh9F1wlt4fiZhp1QtQmyhQtf0NIw