1 2
jimbbski
jimbbski HalfDork
3/17/14 9:13 a.m.

Since the movie came out this year I read the "The Monument Men". Much better book then a movie. It just shows you how forward thinking we Americans can be when we all get behind a common cause, I.E. World War II. Of course back them we thought we could save the world and we did save part of it. I don't think were willing or capable today as a nation to do that although we tried on a smaller scale in Iraq and Afghanistan and we can see already how that's working out.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/24/14 9:50 p.m.

Book update time! I read a Covert One book called "Arctic Event", it's by James Cobb but Covert One is a series by Robert Ludlum. It was actually a great page-turner with good action (that was realistic) and a decent storyline (way more believable than a Bond arc, but still not totally "real"). I enjoyed it quite a bit, especially as the story was the major plot and they didn't get gory on the fight scenes. I recommend this one, especially if you like spy/special ops books.

The next one down the pike was "Iron Coffin" by John Mannock. This book was superb! I haven't read a WWII book this original (or true to life) in a very long time. The story was mesmerizing, the characters were deep, flawed, and made you want to know what happened to them, and the action was intense! I gobbled this one up in about 3 days, I just couldn't put it down. I will definitely seek out more books by this author!

Graefin10
Graefin10 SuperDork
4/24/14 10:04 p.m.

"A Dance With Dragons" by George RR Martin. The 5th in the series of what is supposed to be 7 total. No. 6 isn't complete yet. I'm also watching the series on the tube. It's hard to imagine being able to come up with all those characters, religions, countries, cultures, etc.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
4/25/14 12:00 a.m.

Currently reading "High Fidelity", and loving it. The movie is one of my favorites, and the book is even better.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
4/25/14 5:28 a.m.

Just finished this. Left me humbled, and it is very well written:

Previously read this, a story that quite simply had my mind blown multiple times throughout. I'd have been dead after chapter one:

Best dog book I've ever read:

I also finally read Truman Capote's In Cold Blood. It's such a unique way of telling a story like this I can see why it became such a best seller.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/25/14 7:17 a.m.

So far for the year I've read Goes Like Hell, Against Gravity, and I'm about halfway through Berlin 1961.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
4/25/14 7:26 a.m.

I just finished 'The Making of the Atomic Bomb'. A tough read, but interesting. I grabbed 'Starship Troopers' off of Amazon, I last read it in my teens. Heinlein was a helluva writer, that's for sure.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OGMnnhDuFn5vcs62KkMf3NxCW9MBDv8AEeRhpisM8Ka0y2zgCWOdANqZm9AnAt9u