1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 ... 83
fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
6/10/22 2:41 p.m.

The M1A has such a timeless profile, I love em.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
6/10/22 2:52 p.m.

After running my friend's LR308, I went online and priced out what it would cost me to doll mine up to similar levels. Roughly 90% of the original purchase price. Boo. I suppose it's a "if it isn't broken..." situation. It is what it is. And if I want a hot rod, it would be cheaper to buy a nice bolt action...

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
6/10/22 4:42 p.m.

M1A is a rifle I've always thought was neat and have always been curious about, but always mostly seem to gravitate to and build up precision bolt action rifles instead. One Springfield Armory I was REALLY considering getting was the Model 2020 Waypoint, but decided to go with the Sig Cross instead... stock for stock it's slightly lighter than the carbon Model 2020 Waypoint version and how I have mine all loaded out is several hundred $ less than just the carbon Waypoint itself.

Turbo_Rev
Turbo_Rev Reader
6/13/22 11:14 a.m.

Anyone played around with thermals? I'm looking at one for feral hogs and I'm torn between the AGM Rattler TS25-256 and the Hogster Stimulus.

They seem about identical except that the AGM has a larger lens and higher refresh (50 hz vice the Hogster's 20). That seems to make the AGM a no brainer.....?

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
6/14/22 3:04 a.m.

Can anyone recommend a good fingerprint trigger lock? Or even a good fingerprint cable lock? Something roughly Benelli sized. 

Folgers
Folgers Reader
7/9/22 7:10 p.m.

I just got a cmmg.22 conversion for my ar15’s. 

Mag dumping has never been so much fun or affordable. 

It was three of us on the farm. Two guys giggling and loading mags and one guy with the gun. Two hours of blasting stuff cost like twenty dollars. 

If you have the means, I highly recommend. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/22 9:16 p.m.

Been looking for a long distance bolt action and I keep comming back to this. The want is strong. I have not been able to find one anywhere. I suspect I will have to order it. These look like they don't come up for sale much. I can find a numbers matching M1 easier than one of these. 

https://www.tikka.fi/en-us/rifles/tikka-t3x/t3x-varmint-hunter

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
7/9/22 9:55 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

My first sub .5 MOA rifle is my Tikka M695 in .270 Winchester. Now I have five, three M695, two M595, three of them in Master Sporter stocks. The new ones are nice too. Don't be afraid of buying used, older, M695 and M595 rifles. There are no fancy aftermarket wizz-bang stocks, but the receivers are a little more rigid and the barrel profiles match the T3X series pretty closely (heavier than the T3).

It is definetly worth ordering whatever flavor you want. The triggers are really really good and the actions are remarkably smooth.

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
7/10/22 12:46 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Do you mean T3x in general or the Varmint Hunter specifically for a long range bolt action? The Super Varmint or UPR variants would be much better choices for a long range bolt gun - threaded barrel for muzzle brake, adjustable cheek rest, and picatinny rail.

There's a ready to rock loaded UPR version in 6.5 Creedmoor on GB with the 20MOA picatinny rail...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/939069020

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
7/10/22 1:06 a.m.

Now in process of acquiring a different rifle from the usual... single shot, falling block lever action 1885 Winchester high wall BPCR Target model in 45-70 Govt. Will be running it with original style Soule rear sight setup from MVA along with front globe setup.

Will pretty much look exactly like how this one is setup (just with the MVA sights rather than the Lee Shaver sights):

http://www.bpcr1885.net/long-range-bpcr/

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/10/22 8:26 p.m.

I have a T3x in 6.5 CM, an M1A, and other things.  I really like these choices too.  I just love the M1 style action which is why I have a Garand and Mini14 too.  They all appear less harmless to those with no clue too.  

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/11/22 8:12 a.m.
Vracer111 said:

Now in process of acquiring a different rifle from the usual... single shot, falling block lever action 1885 Winchester high wall BPCR Target model in 45-70 Govt. Will be running it with original style Soule rear sight setup from MVA along with front globe setup.

Will pretty much look exactly like how this one is setup (just with the MVA sights rather than the Lee Shaver sights):

http://www.bpcr1885.net/long-range-bpcr/

I have been wanting a Rolling Block style rifle for a very long time.  I should have bought when they were cheap.  lol

dean1484
7/11/22 9:06 a.m.

I am specific to the varmint hunter. I really like wood stocks. The varmint style barrel will let you shoot more than 4 rounds before heat in the barrel becomes an issue. It also has a 5+1 most other Tikka are 3+1.

Yes there are rifles that are probably better.  This is a bit more of a do it all type rifle.  I have tried several plastic stock rifles and in the conventional type bolt action and it just does not feel right to me. I know polymer done right is better but there is something about wood. It is an old school thing with me. Why I like and am looking for a M1 Garand. There is a feel to wood stock rifles that can not be replicated by polymer. Also as noted above wood makes things less intimidating. This is something I have to be carful about with my x95. 

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
7/11/22 9:14 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

+1 on wood.

Wood feels nice and helps balance the barrel weight, even if they are less stable with humidity changes. One of my wood stocked rifles has a leather cheak pad. It is like curling up on a nice couch.

The mags are interchangeable, so you can have either capacity with any of the Tikkas.

dean1484
7/11/22 9:21 a.m.

I had to send the x95 back to the company that installed the compensator.  It came loose and was rattling around.  I did not notice it until I got home the other day and was putting things away. I don't know how long it has been loose. It is almost like the welding of the pin caused it to loose temper or something.  The other possibility is the thread size on the compensator was not correct. We will see. I hope to get it back next weekend. 

dean1484
7/11/22 5:10 p.m.

I forgot to post a photo of the Tikka T3x varmint hunter.  Just a great-looking rifle that also happens to be very accurate.  As with all Tikka rifles guaranteed to be sub 1 MOA.  This basically ticks all the box's for what I want.  

Tikka T3x VARMINT HUNTER

The other possibility is the Bergara B-14 Timber however I don't know as much about it but I think it is another one that may be an option.

B14 Timber

As usual, it will most likely come down to $$$.  However, I am leaning towards the Tikka for both capacity and the barrel design. But both have the same MOA guarantee.  Another thing of note is I have handled Tikka Rifles and I like the more vertical grip that it has.  Not a deal breaker but it is really noticeable in the two photos. And you can really see the difference in the barrels in terms of mass.  The Tikka you can see that it is much thicker and will deal with heat much better

We will see how this plays out.  The Varmint Hunter I have seen selling for more than 2K Close to 2.2K while the regular Varmint is at 900 or so.  They look to be identical with the exception of the stock. So is a wood stock worth $1,200?  I think not.  Now I am wondering if I just get the regular Varmint and then order a stock from Tikka.  It would be interesting to see what the stock costs.

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
7/12/22 12:03 a.m.

In reply to Noddaz :

I wasn't really looking for one... honestly was researching single shot 45-70 chambered rifles and was heavily leaning on going with a CVA Scout V2. Happened to see this newer Miroku 1885 Winchester Limited Series BPCR Target and it was love at first sight. Totally different end of the spectrum compared to the CVA Scout, but seems worth the cost to me - grade III/IV black walnut furniture with case hardened metal making it a work of art based on the original 1885 design (but different) and well known for it's long range shooting ability.

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
7/12/22 12:17 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I understand the liking of wood stocks... it's my general preference as well, and am willing to pay extra for quality wood furniture.

Since you mentioned you were looking for a long range shooter, was looking at features suited for long range shooting and the Super Varminter and UPR are the ones equipped with those features.

I will say I'd love to find some time to shoot the Sig Cross... it's still unfired/unzeroed. Will be remounting the scope before doing so though - have a high quality QD rail and low rings coming in soon so can swap it out with the digital night vision scope easily whenever feel the need to do so.

Timbr
Timbr New Reader
7/25/22 10:31 a.m.

Moved from other thread but question remains the same: 

Hello lads, does anyone have experience with Kalashnikov-USA brand? Wanted to get an iconic AK-47  or AK-74 rifle for range shooting and maybe home defense. It's mostly K-USA, Century Arms and some foreign manufacturers out there, so wanted to ask if someone has some advice to guide me through how those perform overall. Thanks!

Turbo_Rev
Turbo_Rev Reader
7/25/22 10:59 a.m.

In reply to Timbr :

The WASR10 could easily be considered the Miata of the AK-47 world. It's affordable and quite good. Plenty of aftermarket support. Usually a little rough but not uncomfortable. Delightly over-gassed, usually. I've used mine for fun and for hunting whitetails.  

Besides them, I've seen and heard very good things about Zastava Arms. A good friend who does a lot of shooting owns a few and he says they're the best you can reliably buy in the U.S. Serbian.  

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
7/25/22 1:06 p.m.

In reply to Timbr :

PSA is also a domestic budget oriented AK manufacturer. The ban on Russian ammo is bumming my Tarkov/Metro 2033/S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fantasies though. The cheap ammo was half the reason you bought an AK.

Timbr
Timbr New Reader
7/26/22 1:52 a.m.

In reply to fatallightning :

Yeah, cheap ammo was a huge part of it. I'll check what PSA and Zastava have in stock, thanks lads!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/26/22 11:19 a.m.

I find this rifle intriguing.  Pretty sure it's not within the budget however.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/savage-impulse-straight-pull-rifle-review/460799

https://content.osgnetworks.tv/shootingtimes/content/photos/savage-impulse-bolt-action-straight-pull-rifle-003-1200x800.jpg

dean1484
8/7/22 12:29 p.m.

I have been looking further in to things and if I want to get away from wood I think the t3x CTR may be a really good option for me. The UPR is also on my radar but the thin light barrel is really a no go.  Both of these have the same bolt and barrel as the TAC and that is a really great rifle for the $$$. 

I almost snagged a Sako s20 for about 1/3 off retail but the seller (a large retail gun store) gave me bad information on what it was chambered in.   It was winmag I wanted creadmore. Freakin winmag is way more than I want (or need for that matter)

So back to the drawing board. 

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
8/9/22 3:57 a.m.

After a few decades finally decided on a semi-auto .308 rifle. Came down to reloadability and reliability... and there was only two choices I ever thought about, neither AR based. For longest time I really thought about a PTR-91... and was heading in that direction but with reloading being now more of a consideration for me and the very significant additional cost to get it 'reliable' and how I'd want it to shoot, finally gave up on considering the PTR-91.

So as of now am in the M1A owners club... with a standard 22" barrel Springfield M1A with composite stock [lowest buy in model] which will be doing some changes to for suiting me & its use role better (different chassis/stock, swapping flash hider out for a muzzle brake, & rail/optic). Figured it was now or never the way things are going these days.

1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 ... 83

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pMEQgTG1BPo6y7cw0A3YKB08wfZQx1Q3pAi0cLUV2akg8pDhVvbJw5K3jGSuTWph