1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 ... 83
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/21/23 3:01 p.m.

For anyone that is interested in these Swiss rifles, this is a well-done video about them.

dean1484
2/21/23 3:04 p.m.

Oh, one of the more interesting "Features" of this rifle is that it ejects rounds straight up and over your head.  This can lead to hot brass going down the back of your neck into your shirt.  

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
2/21/23 3:05 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Oh, one of the more interesting "Features" of this rifle is that it ejects rounds straight up and over your head.  This can lead to hot brass going down the back of your neck into your shirt.  

Always a good time... especially with rifle brass! cheeky

dean1484
2/21/23 3:16 p.m.
matthewmcl said:

In reply to dean1484 :

Are you going to reload for it?

I am not sure. I have never done it.

Amo for it is not crazy expensive and it is available. It is about half the cost of a good 30-06.  It is still 1.00 - 1.25 a round so an afternoon at the range will not be cheap.  Realistically I will probably not put more than 20 rounds through it at any given time and there will be time in between.  I am really hoping that it is as accurate as advertised.  It is touted to be good to 600 meters with irons (that would be dam impressive). I found some videos of people supposedly shooting at that distance and ringing the steel.  

I ordered 100 rounds from Target Sports that should be at my door today!!!  So even if I don't get the Mag I can still test-fire it with my face far away from it.  laugh  I also don't know how it will like this particular amo.  I got this. 

It was the only available at the moment but they are saying they have more than 100 cases of it in stock (400 rounds to a case).

dean1484
2/21/23 5:05 p.m.

And the amo was delivered this afternoon!!!  Testing tomorrow.  

This was the first time I have ordered from Target Sports and I am impressed.  I ordered it late Sunday night and it was here today. Basically over night shipping.  

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/21/23 8:36 p.m.

Dean, those Swiss rifles *are* pretty sweet. If I had more mad money, I'd own one.

dean1484
2/21/23 11:11 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

They are not all that expensive compared to a other much more popular rifles of the the early 1900s  

Oh I also need to clarify this is technically a K1911  it is sometimes referred to as  a K21.   Maybe because it was superseded by the K31?   In either case I have been calling it a K21 where I really should be calling it a K1911  

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/22/23 7:38 a.m.

I have 2 swiss k31's i bought for chits and giggles. Never did anything with em. They are on the chopping block. 

see if that one from Cabelas has a name tag under the butt plate. I think both of mine do. Its supposedly the name of the person the rifle was issued to. Pretty cool history. 

dean1484
2/22/23 9:38 a.m.

In reply to TJL (Forum Supporter) :

We should talk!!!

I will see about pulling the but cover plate.  That  would be really cool!!!   

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/22/23 1:35 p.m.

I wanted to like the k31 so much when they were cheap but it has a super small LOP for me and it felt terrible

stroker
stroker PowerDork
2/22/23 2:00 p.m.

This thread is making me jones for a lever action.  There's a box of 357 ammo on my closet shelf but I no longer own a 357.   I had a 1892 Rossi carbine years ago and I foolishly sold it.  I'm told by my friend who works at a gun shop that 357 lever actions are extraordinarily scarce right now.  No hurry, but I need to get a S&W 581 and a carbine some day...

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
2/22/23 2:28 p.m.
stroker said:

This thread is making me jones for a lever action.  There's a box of 357 ammo on my closet shelf but I no longer own a 357.   I had a 1892 Rossi carbine years ago and I foolishly sold it.  I'm told by my friend who works at a gun shop that 357 lever actions are extraordinarily scarce right now.  No hurry, but I need to get a S&W 581 and a carbine some day...

357 lever guns aren't really extraordinarily scare to find online... just going for more of a premium because of demand. Plenty available on gunbroker (over 240 to choose from right now).

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/23 2:49 p.m.

In reply to TJL (Forum Supporter) :

You don't happen to be in North Carolina, do you?

Dean is right, they're not *that* expensive..

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/22/23 4:44 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Weren't the early rifles referred to as Schmidt-Rubins and the later rifles as K31s?

(I have a K31 and it is a really nice rifle.  I need to shoot it more often.)

BTW, this is what I don't like about my K31.

7.5 x 55 Swiss 175gr FMJBT (GP11)  $49.99

That is for a box of 20 from Steinel.  laugh

Norma is out of stock.  frown

dean1484
2/22/23 5:46 p.m.
Noddaz said:

In reply to dean1484 :

Wern't the early rifles refered to as Schmidt-Rubins and the later rifles as K31s?

(I have a K31 and it is a really nice rifle.  I need to shoot it more often.)

Nope . . .. Well sort of. .. . .     My understanding is that they are all Schmidt-Rubins.  The major variants are the 1886 then the 1911 (what I have) then the K31.  There are sub-variants in between these and there are some short-barreled versions as well. 

There is 1886 at my local Cabelas right now.  I was there today. They are asking $599 for it.  On the surface, it is a much better-looking rifle than what I got. Mine was filthy and gummed up with cosmoline.   This one is much cleaner with the action working reasonably well.  Not nearly as tight as mine indicating it has been shot much more than mine.  I inspected the BCG and it was completely clean of cosmoline but it was dirty but properly oiled.  The bad part of it is that the stock has been refinished improperly.  Someone went at it with sandpaper and sanded it down way too much.  Many of the sharp crisp edges that meet the steel are rounded.  Also, all of the markings on the stock have been removed.  You can barely see the cartouch stamp.  It is interesting that they want more for this rifle but in reality, it feels like it has been shot much more, and while it looks nice the "restoration" of the stock actually has diminished its value.   

dean1484
2/22/23 7:33 p.m.

Forgot. Today was the test firing of my 1911. Put a couple down range one handed with the rifle on the bench and my face far away from it to make sure I reassembled everything properly and the whole it is a 90 year old gun thing. It worked perfectly!!

Shooting impressions. The trigger is very light. A ten pull test average I got 1lb 7oz. The pull to the wall is a little spongy but the brake is as good or better than the $300 trigger in my precision AR. it feels like some Tika's that I have shot.  

It lets you know that it is a big boy cartridge rifle when shooting it.  It pushes you back similar to a M1A or an m1 Gerend in 30-06. But it is spread over a longer period of time. Less snap with the same push is how I would describe it. Since the 7.5 Swiss is about 90 percent as powerful as the 30-06 this adds up. It shoots with the usual thump you get with cartridge with this grain and power combo.  It is very similar to a 308/762

Accuracy is spot on. It is a tack driver at 100 yards with the original irons and they were just a little off. I drifted the front site a tap and it was then dead on. The rifle is way better than I can shoot. 

The fire balls are fun!!!!    

I really like that it is putting all the gas and the report down range due to no compensator.  

After 10 rounds the barrel seemed to find zero and the action smoothed out and it all seemed to come together. I think it just needed to be shot to re seat things in the frame and clean the barrel after sitting for so long. Kind of like it needed to be broken in.

The rifle recoil is strait back with a very small amount of vertical lift. Exceptionally easy to handle. 

The cartridges are basically cold when you pick them up.  I was catching them as they came out of the rifle and they were barely warm. The strait up ejection is also fun. The chamber and the bolt also stay very cool. The muzzle end is warm to the touch after 10-15 rounds. Much cooler than any of my 556/223 rifles after that many rounds. 

The pin pattern on the primer is spot on.

This is a great rifle. I really like it. Probable one of the best kept secrets in the vintage rifle world. I would get one of these long before you get a M1 or a M1A.   So much more fun to shoot with the strait pull bolt.  I understand why the semi auto rifles of the time were better at there intended purpose but for the enthusiast these are so much more fun in my opinion.  

I will try and post up some video I have of my son shooting it later.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
2/22/23 8:17 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Sounds like you got a good one. Plenty of history and not worn out. Awesome. The whole "same push, less snap" sounds familiar, if slightly different. My last outing was testing my first batch of hand loads against some box stuff. Same weight bullets, same rifle, but the box stuff was noticeably less crisp, while seeming to push just a bit more and for longer. Box stuff was ejecting much dirtier brass too. If you don't get into reloading, definitely try a few different flavors. 
Weather permitting, I'll get out for some longer range target practice this weekend. Snow/rain all week though so Im not too excited about the chances. I do really want to get behind the new stock and grip and see how it runs. Might get the flinter out if I go. 

dean1484
2/24/23 12:40 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

I think I got lucky on this one.  I hope to get to the range this weekend but the weather does not look like it will be that good.

Is anyone else getting outdoors this weekend?

dean1484
2/24/23 12:57 p.m.

Fireballs are fun!!   

My son fired the Swiss 1911.  You will note that there is no box mag in place.  I am still waiting on it to arrive.  UPS tracking said it would be here today.  We were manually feeding it single shots for testing purposes in these videos.  

And another shot.

This is a great rifle.  A working piece of history.  I am now the caretaker of it.  

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/24/23 1:10 p.m.

My local (indoor) range doesnt mind me firing my mosin. It gets everyone elses attention though.

Fireballs are indeed fun

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
2/24/23 1:19 p.m.

Fireball?

Here's a fireball...  cheeky

So how'd the Swiss 1911 shoot?  Looks like a 50yd range?

On another note, I spent about 2 hours this morning re-arranging my safe.  I forgot how heavy 1k rounds of .45 harball is!

dean1484
2/24/23 1:30 p.m.

Hay, if I was shooting at night mine would be just as big as yours . . .. .   .. Ok maybe I should rephrase that..  LOL  laugh  

It is 100 Yards to the backstop.  We had a paper at both the 50 and the 100.  the rifle is extremely accurate.  It has a 1lb 7 oz trigger.  The trigger is extremely light and crisp.  The take-up is a bit squishy compared to a modern rifle but absolutely nothing to complain about.  

It shoots really really well.  The action is very tight and smooth.  Swiss watch feeling if you know what I mean. I would describe the action as feeling close to new.  

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
2/24/23 2:38 p.m.

Only thing I may do is airgun a bit in backyard, don't feel like going 12 miles offroad out to the gravel pit in this type of weather...

Target trap on stump is 25 yards off back deck. The target trap on left right above clothes line in front of snow covered mound is one my sister ruined shooting with an AR at last fall - was shooting 22LR upper conversion with my dad's AR15 then continued on when switched over to the 5.56 upper and filled it with holes... LOL sis. Plan to test 17HMR on the shot up one to see if okay to run with trap.

Aero M5 16" complete upper | nickel-boron BCG | Breach large lever charging handle came in yesterday, and M5 complete lower (A2 grip, no stock) should arrive at FFL today. So If able to pick it up from FFL today, should be working some on it this weekend (at minimum get the PA M4-72 brake on & timed, mod/fit the Masterpiece Arms EVG [since it's designed for bolt action chassis gun use). Still waiting on Innomount QD low mounting rail for my PARD 008P NV scope (propietary mounting system), XS offset irons, Norgon heavy AR ambi mag release, SI enhanced bolt release | FDE dust cover | Link Cobra foregrip, and pack of Duramags to come in and need to get an M-Lok picatinny rail section for side mounting the Holosun LS117G laser (tried it out on top rail and interferes with bottom half sight picture of the SLx 3X optic.) Also thinking of getting a Surefire Pro scout light with IR illuminator to help extend range of the PARD without adding lot of bulk/weight...but that can be for a later time.

dean1484
2/24/23 3:01 p.m.

The mag came in today!!!  Works perfect. 

I also took the but plate off and found this. 

the number matches the serial number of the rifle

I am going to have to see if I can get a really good high res photo of the other side and see if I can get the name and the other info that is on it.  

It would be really cool if I could return this to the family or at least let them know I have it. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/24/23 4:24 p.m.

When did 10mm get cheaper than .45acp? 

1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 ... 83

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mUHEviLrBX9GjthINEzo2K0xpzWF1gCOOScQMI3ZB335apgZtQ7RXH8Zb54ADSt2