1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 ... 83
barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
1/28/23 9:23 p.m.

Ran some at 100y today. Prone, with a cradle. Then ran some through my buddy's aero build, which goes without saying is way nicer than my PSA. He's using the exact trigger (larue two stage) and stock (magpul PRS lite) that I want so it was nice to feel the combo in action. I think I ran almost 50 rounds total. I really want to swap the grip for the same ergo vertical I have on my 5.56, then it'll be like a whole new rifle. And an ambi charge handle because wrist issues. 

Car related, we went out in buddy's 2004 LX470. I've been teasing him about needing to join a country club to own a Lexus, but I was absolutely stunned at the ability of the rig. Shouldn't have been a surprise for what's basically a Land Cruiser in a tux, but it was awesome. We climbed a couple hills that really surprised me. Good times. Glad I don't have to buy the gas or pay for repairs. 

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
1/29/23 8:05 p.m.

Can reload & shoot from same platform now...

Was either going to be Uberti 1851 Navy London or 1861 Navy Steel 7.5" barrel model in 36cal...ended up being the 1861. It's been taken down & cleaned/bore pasted/lubed... just need to resize a powder flask nozzle down to 20 grains. Was looking at Colt 2nd gen replicas but they are 2-3x as expensive for same Italian parts, just hand fitted and Colt stamped.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/23 1:10 a.m.

I have been kind of looking for a nice 1911. Then I found this last weekend. 

it is like a 1911 just better.  Picked it up saterday morning.  Put 300+ rounds through it this weekend. What a phenomenal pistol. This is a single action only.l with factory cut slide for a RDO. Shot it back to back with my USP expert and my friends 330. There is an issue with the sights from the factory that I will be calling sig about but other than that it is great. The issue I have is it is sited low by about 4 inches at 10 yards. 

Jimboishere
Jimboishere New Reader
1/30/23 6:58 a.m.
Rodan said:

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

Shooting out at 300+ is a lot of fun.  I'm very jealous of a friend that has a 100yd range on his property, and can shoot across a canyon onto National Forest to 300, 500, 700 and 1200 yds.

I have a .308 to zero, and some 6.5CM loads to chrono, but I'm not in enough of a hurry to go the range while the daytime high temps are in the low 40s.  I can wait a month or so.  cheeky

Having range on your property sounds like a dream, not going to lie! :D
On the offnote, do you folks know of any good places to get bulk .45 ACP ammo?( https://gritrsports.com/shooting/ammunition/handgun-ammo/45-acp-ammo/ local store has some, but I kinda want it in a bulk since I'm suspecting it's going to rise soon again).

barefootcyborg5000
2/2/23 12:30 p.m.

Was gonna buy a trigger from a buddy, but then I broke a decapping pin for my reloading rig and decided to take that $2.99 order and push it into free shipping territory. So now I'm getting a fixed stock and the same ergo vertical grip I have on the smaller gun, but in a color to match the stock. Which begs the question, does a camo-esque tan make the scary black rifle more or less scary? On one hand, it isn't all black anymore. On the other, it's halfway to invisible... 

dean1484
2/3/23 12:40 p.m.

I mean if it is camo then no one will see it anyway right????winklaugh

dean1484
2/3/23 12:49 p.m.

Has anyone had any experience with bolt-action rifles made by CZ?  The CZ 600 Range caught my eye. I went down the rabbit hole last night looking/researching them and they seem quite nice.  They are saying it is .75 MOA at 100 meters.  For a $1,300 rifle that is impressive.

dean1484
2/3/23 12:50 p.m.

Kidding aside this is why I got my x95 in green.

barefootcyborg5000
2/3/23 1:01 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

The stock was sold out in black, and the grip is supposedly the same "flat dark earth" color but it is a different manufacturer so it may not even match... I don't mind. 

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
2/3/23 1:15 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I had a CZ bolt gun in .22. It was very nice but still on par with other options in the same price range. $1300 will also get a very nice Tikka. Having a rifle come with a test target showing better than .75 MOA is a very nice thing, which I do not think you can get with the Tikka. For what its worth, it is not uncommon to have a Tikka with at least a medium weight barrel do .5 MOA. If that CZ strikes your fancy, though, I would go with that. It looks like a very nice rifle.

Is it coincidence that both the Czech and the Finnish have a long history of quality arms? Will the Ukranians be the next on that list?

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
2/3/23 1:28 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Has anyone had any experience with bolt-action rifles made by CZ?  The CZ 600 Range caught my eye. I went down the rabbit hole last night looking/researching them and they seem quite nice.  They are saying it is .75 MOA at 100 meters.  For a $1,300 rifle that is impressive.

I like CZ rifles.  I built a scout rifle in 7.62x39 on a 527 a few years ago, and I just picked up a 457 Pro Varmint.  I'm hoping the 457 shoots as well as my Tikka.

CZ makes a fine rifle, but if I were looking to build another centerfire I would probably look at other options.  The Bergara B14 is a fine rifle at about the same price point, and you get the benefit of the Rem 700 aftermarket.  I built my 6.5CM on a Bergara barreled action and it's a great shooter.  There's more aftermarket for CZ than there used to be (especially the rimfires), but nothing like the Rem 700 action.

Bergara B14 HMR

Here's a 100yd group out of my 6.5CM Bergara - I might have posted this earlier in the thread... this is factory Hornady 140 ELD Match.  Still working up a load of my own.

barefootcyborg5000
2/10/23 3:15 a.m.

Finally put on a fixed stock. The rattly PSA "adjustable m4" job wasn't doing me any favors. Also matching grip. Ergo vertical ftw. 

Not bad for the money. Next round is some order of trigger/charge handle/cheek rest. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/10/23 8:50 a.m.

Is that a fixed length? I have been contemplating that with my 5.56 Bushmaster

barefootcyborg5000
2/10/23 10:32 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Yes. It is adjustable in 3/4" increments, but it fits in the case and I'm not planning to pretend tacti-cool, so I don't need it any shorter. 

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
2/10/23 12:10 p.m.

FWIW, I've been really happy with the Radian Raptor charging handles.  I use the vented ones for suppressor use.  They're ambi, but not overly bulky.   The Geissele SSA-E triggers are nice as well.

dean1484
2/10/23 12:17 p.m.

I got a trigger gauge delivered last night.  Now I have to test everything. . .   Because you know science. .. . 

I did test my AR that has a Geissele 2 stage in it and it has a 10 pull average of 1.7lbs.   It was late and I was tired so I did not bother getting anything else out.  Really curious as to what the 226 legion trigger is. 

barefootcyborg5000
2/10/23 12:46 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

I have a radian on my 556 and I'm quite happy with it. Like the vertical grip, it's more just to accommodate for my funny right wrist. As for triggers, I really like the PSA 3.5lb "match" in my 556, but I also really liked my buddy's LaRue 2 stage... both are around $100 so I'll probably either flip a coin or buy whichever isn't backordered when I have the money for more gun stuff. 

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
2/21/23 10:33 a.m.

I am excited to be joining this thread! Finally moved forward on a Sig Sauer M400 Tread, should get it home next week. 

Going to be looking for a budget optic next - seems like LVPO would be what makes sense.. would like to be able to target shoot out a little ways!

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
2/21/23 11:33 a.m.

In reply to classicJackets (FS) :

I was one of the leads on a work project where we did T&E on a bunch of LPVOs through the second half of '22.  If I were buying an LPVO for a 5.56 today it would be the Vortex Razor Gen II 1-6x24, full stop.  I wouldn't call it 'budget', but worth it.  Fantastic glass, daylight bright illumination, reasonably light.

The mission drives the equipment, so it all depends on what you want it to do...  for a "serious" use AR, I prefer a red dot to LPVO for just about anything inside 100 yards.  A flip up 3x magnifier can be added and will get you most of the capability of an LPVO on a 16" 5.56.

If you want to shoot small things at over 100 yards with an AR, just skip the LPVO and put a 4-14x or 3-18x on it.  You'll also get more optic for your $$, because LPVOs are trendy right now.  Just realize you'll give up a lot of longer range capability with a 5.56 shorter than 18-20" because of the reduced velocity, and ARs are not exactly precision instruments to start with (unless you're talking $$$$ customs).

dean1484
2/21/23 11:46 a.m.

So I did a thing this weekend. 

This is as I got it.  I have since completely stripped and cleaned it and cleaned and oiled the stock.

There is a story behind this but basically, I got it really cheap.  I was at Cabalas as the new fishing stuff is coming in and I wanted to stock up.  I always go visit the Gun Library where they keep used long guns and things like M1's and M1A's used high end shotguns and stuff.  This had just come in. It was not even in their computer system yet.  I was told the action was sticky.  They did not even know how to take the bolt out.  I did so I pulled the bolt out and saw it was all gummed up with cosmoline but otherwise looked very goof.  After some negotiations, I got it for what I think is a really good price.  This is a case where I don't think the people that run the sales of the older rifles were up on what they actually had and I was in the right place right time.  I got it cheep enough that I could take the firing pin out of it and put it over the mantal and I would be happy.

My son and I broke it down completely and cleaned every part, every screw, everything!!!  There is a small area of surface pitting on the barrel right along where the wood stock stopped that is about 2 inches long and about 1/16" wide.  I scrapped the small bits of rust off with a pick and oiled those.  I had to be very careful not to scrap or sand the area as I don't want to damage the surrounding blueing.  Depending on how this thing works I may send the barrel out to be re-blued.  The inside of the barrel looks new.  This looks to have a very low round count on it.  .  Internally I polished up a couple of spots with 1600-grit oiled paper.  My son restored the wood stock and hand guard.  We found that it is a complete numbers-matching rifle.  Even the wood stock has the correct matching serial numbers stamped on it. 

For those that don't know what this is it is a Swiss M 1911 or sometimes called a Swiss M21.  It is a top-loaded rifle with a box mag.  It takes 7.5 Swiss that I have ordered. It did not come with the box mag that I also ordered off eBay.  Found a used unrestored one that will match the rifle perfectly.

I looked up the serial number and this was manufactured in 1932 making it a 90-year-old rifle!!!  The engineering of this thing is so cool.  The way the straight back pull of the bolt works is really cool.  These are hand-fitted rifles that are extremely accurate and are still being used in Switzerland to this day.

I am excited to try it out after a couple of test fires.  

I really love these old weird firearms.  The engineering and whatnot just make them cool and they are a blast to shoot.  When the box mag and the 7.5 Swiss show up I will report in here and let you all know how it operates.  I will also see about getting some photos of it all cleaned up.  The difference is much more apparent looking at it in person.  I am not sure that it will look all that different in photos.  I am not going to touch the stock other than the good cleaning it already got.  I use an extremely mild wood cleaner/preservative on it just to remove some of the dirt.  Then a liberal application of wood preservative to add some moisture/oil back into the wood.  I am not going to re-finish it.  It still has the original proof stamps visible in the wood and the dents and small scratches are the history of the rifle.  I don't what to erase that.  I don't want to alter this rifle I am its new caretaker.  I will just preserve it and enjoy it for its history and what it is.

dean1484
2/21/23 11:57 a.m.
Rodan said:

In reply to classicJackets (FS) :

I prefer a red dot to LPVO for just about anything inside 100 yards.  A flip up 3x magnifier can be added and will get you most of the capability of an LPVO on a 16" 5.56.

I use this exact setup on my X95.  A Holosun 510c (I think) with a Vortex 3x flip-up magnifier.  It works exceptionally well.  Out to 100 yards or so it is two eyes open red dot shooting.  Beyond that, with the magnifier, it will go out to 2-300 yards.  The rifle itself becomes the problem any further out than that as it does not have the best MOA barrel.  But that is not what it was designed for anyway.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
2/21/23 12:23 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

That's really cool... I think it was also called a 'K31'?   I thought it might be one of the Swedish rifles when I first saw the pic.  Some of those early 20th century military rifles really shoot.  Looking forward to a range report!

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
2/21/23 1:39 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Are you going to reload for it?

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
2/21/23 1:43 p.m.
dean1484 said:

So I did a thing this weekend. 

This is as I got it.  I have since it completely stripped and cleaned it and cleaned and oiled the stock.

There is a story behind this but basically, I got it really cheap.  I was at Cabalas as the new fishing stuff is coming in and I wanted to stock up.  I always go visit the Gun Library where they keep used long guns and things like M1's and M1A's used high end shotguns and stuff.  This had just come in. It was not even in their computer system yet.  I was told the action was sticky.  They did not even know how to take the bolt out.  I did so I pulled the bolt out and saw it was all gummed up with cosmoline but otherwise looked very goof.  After some negotiations, I got it for what I think is a really good price.  This is a case where I don't think the people that run the sales of the older rifles were up on what they actually had and I was in the right place right time.  I got it cheep enough that I could take the firing pin out of it and put it over the mantal and I would be happy.

My son and I broke it down completely and cleaned every part, every screw, everything!!!  There is a small area of surface pitting on the barrel right along where the wood stock stopped that is about 2 inches long and about 1/16" wide.  I scrapped the small bits of rust off with a pick and oiled those.  I had to be very careful not to scrap or sand the area as I don't want to damage the surrounding blueing.  Depending on how this thing works I may send the barrel out to be re-blued.  The inside of the barrel looks new.  This looks to have a very low round count on it.  .  Internally I polished up a couple of spots with 1600-grit oiled paper.  My son restored the wood stock and hand guard.  We found that it is a complete numbers-matching rifle.  Even the wood stock has the correct matching serial numbers stamped on it. 

For those that don't know what this is it is a Swiss M 1911 or sometimes called a Swiss M21.  It is a top-loaded rifle with a box mag.  It takes 7.5 Swiss that I have ordered. It did not come with the box mag that I also ordered off eBay.  Found a used unrestored one that will match the rifle perfectly.

I looked up the serial number and this was manufactured in 1932 making it a 90-year-old rifle!!!  The engineering of this thing is so cool.  The way the straight back pull of the bolt works is really cool.  These are hand-fitted rifles that are extremely accurate and are still being used in Switzerland to this day.

I am excited to try it out after a couple of test fires.  

I really love these old weird firearms.  The engineering and whatnot just make them cool and they are a blast to shoot.  When the box mag and the 7.5 Swiss show up I will report in here and let you all know how it operates.  I will also see about getting some photos of it all cleaned up.  The difference is much more apparent looking at it in person.  I am not sure that it will look all that different in photos.  I am not going to touch the stock other than the good cleaning it already got.  I use an extremely mild wood cleaner/preservative on it just to remove some of the dirt.  Then a liberal application of wood preservative to add some moisture/oil back into the wood.  I am not going to re-finish it.  It still has the original proof stamps visible in the wood and the dents and small scratches are the history of the rifle.  I don't what to erase that.  I don't want to alter this rifle I am its new caretaker.  I will just preserve it and enjoy it for its history and what it is.

Those straight pull bolts are nice rifles and usually command nice prices from what I've seen. Got a great deal there and something nice to be a caretaker of!

I've decided the Springfield M1A is just not for me, just can't get past it's inaccuracy. It's replacement will be a more boring/less interesting but a better to use/shoot/and configure as needed tool. Decided to put together an Aero M5 once parts arrive and pick up lower from the FFL when it comes in. Will be way more compact, lighter, shoot like I expect it to, and will be able to use the PARD 008P NV scope easily with it (just ordered picatinny QD release base for it).

Designing it to be a 300yard in defensive capable weapon; running 16" stock barrel/Precision Armament M4-72 brake and a Magpul MOE SL carbine stock & Masterpiece Arms EVG. Primary optic to be the PA SLx 3X prism sight with offset XS irons and mount the Holosun LS117G rifle laser at the front. Most of the above parts already had in inventory for the M1A... so just waiting to switch over to the new rifle system once have it assembled.

dean1484
2/21/23 2:55 p.m.
Rodan said:

In reply to dean1484 :

That's really cool... I think it was also called a 'K31'?   I thought it might be one of the Swedish rifles when I first saw the pic.  Some of those early 20th century military rifles really shoot.  Looking forward to a range report!

The K31 was what replaced this version.  They changed/shortened the bolt on it and changed how it locks into the barrel.  Not huge changes but enough so parts are not interchangeable.  At a quick glance they look very similar.   

1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 ... 83

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XjCoxUbEQ8TZizJXkny8K2olhzZyu3c1X4y9jMrCEVDVnIrBUDqN7ILm3b68n6mX