1 2 3
oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
12/2/16 1:25 a.m.

Always intrigued with trying upholstery and mrs oldtin wanted to try so picked up an old singer from Craig's. Model 15-91: steel gears, direct drive.. Made when stuff was supposed to last. Until today never touched a sewing machine. Ran it through some leather no problem. Have an old set of tr4 seats that need some love. We'll see how it goes.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
12/2/16 5:59 a.m.

You've probably already done this, but read up on their lubrication needs. The biggest problems with the old ones is improper lubricants and sitting. They tend to gum up. Once you get them moving they're pretty indestructible if they get regular use. Please post up your upholstery experiments, I'm also curious about that sort of thing. I've sewn quite a bit, but never really heavy material.

trucke
trucke Dork
12/2/16 7:28 a.m.

Those sewing machines are workhorses. When I worked for a parachute company, we struggled to find those vintage Singers. The new stuff just doesn't do the job.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
12/2/16 8:28 a.m.

I have that same model. I also have a Singer Slant-o-Matic 503A, a Domestic model 153, and another one that's basically a Singer Featherweight clone but I'm blanking on the brand. I've given away several other machines to people who needed them. Maybe we should have a sewing thread...har har.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
12/2/16 8:36 a.m.

I have that same machine too (assuming it's pedal operated and not electric). I'm missing that shiny cover though. It was my grandmothers. I have no idea how to use it and the manual reads like I imagine the instructions for operating a twin engine plane on instruments only might go. So, I lubed it, and I stitched a piece of denim with the thread that was already on the spool. That was about 15 years ago... it's been holding a lamp in my bedroom since.

But now I'm going to have to go berkeley with it. Thanks.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
12/2/16 8:42 a.m.

Holy crap, there's a E36 M3load of sewing machines on CL including the OP's vintage, Slant-O-Matic and this Commercial Singer for $100.

Sewing must not be as popular anymore as in grannies day. Go figure.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/2/16 9:00 a.m.

Mine is a 1920's hand crank Singer that my grandmother got as a wedding present. Made in Scotland. It survived WWII occupied Holland, boat trip to Canada, a Dutch funeral (most dangerous of all), flight to California and road trip to Arkansas. I've done the Truck seat, Esprit seats, 2 Harley seats.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
12/2/16 9:03 a.m.

I've got my grandmother's old sewing machine ( a White, I think) and it's a tank. Seat repairs on several cars have been a breeze for it. A commercial machine can be a better deal though, especially post machines or ones capable of doing French seams.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
12/2/16 9:08 a.m.

In reply to fasted58:

That commercial machine is a steal at 100. Grab that.

In reply to the OP: As stated the old gummed up lube may need to be addressed in order to ensure trouble free use. Also, look into getting a nice sharp replacement needle and keep a few on hand.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
12/2/16 9:15 a.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: In reply to fasted58: That commercial machine is a steal at 100. Grab that. In reply to the OP: As stated the old gummed up lube may need to be addressed in order to ensure trouble free use. Also, look into getting a nice sharp replacement needle and keep a few on hand.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bfs/5896870772.html

SINGER COMMERCIAL SEWING MACHINE MD. 269 W26 - SEVERAL TO CHOOSE FROM - $100 CALL FRED

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
12/2/16 9:21 a.m.

Seconded on "grab that Industrial model." We were paying $500+ for those a few years ago in the banner and awning business.

The few tips I've found in teaching myself are:

Lube the machine correctly, and often. If it stops sewing well for no apparent reason, you probably need to lube it.

New needle for every project. 2 for big projects.

Thread tension is everything. Top thread tension is usually a dial on the machine somewhere, but you can also adjust bottom tread tension by tightening the little screw on the bobbin. No one ever told me that and it solved a problem I was having with the stitches not holding.

If you want lots of good instructional videos for free, go to sailrite.com They have a ton of how-tos that basically taught me to sew, and they're focused on upholstery and canvas work.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
12/2/16 9:33 a.m.

We had one we couldn't give away. Ended up going to goodwill. one of the ones in the cabinet, beautiful craftsman ship on the metal work. Couldn't even get $25 for it.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/2/16 9:39 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: We had one we couldn't give away. Ended up going to goodwill. one of the ones in the cabinet, beautiful craftsman ship on the metal work. Couldn't even get $25 for it.

For a long time people were tossing out the sewing machines, and using the bases for tables.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
12/2/16 9:41 a.m.

In reply to ultraclyde:

What exactly would I need to ask the seller of the commercial Singer machines? Sew auto upholstery, leather, spare parts etc? I really know absolutely nothing, thought about it for years though and could aspire to it.

Just when I decided the next dedicated project/ hobby would be a propane foundry. Well that and there's always the lucrative sex toy industry.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
12/2/16 9:53 a.m.

We had one we couldn't give away. Ended up going to goodwill. one of the ones in the cabinet, beautiful craftsman ship on the metal work. Couldn't even get $25 for it.

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
12/2/16 10:06 a.m.

Maybe it's becoming a thing. The guy I got mine from said he used to get them for free patch them up and sell for a few bucks (along with old bikes and typewriters). While I was there a hipster type had stopped by. He was going on about how he loved to type on a typewriter but was asking how it worked. The guy said he no longer finds the freebies.

EastCoastMojo
12/2/16 10:16 a.m.
fasted58 wrote: In reply to ultraclyde: What exactly would I need to ask the seller of the commercial Singer machines? Sew auto upholstery, leather, spare parts etc? I really know absolutely nothing, thought about it for years though and could aspire to it. Just when I decided the next dedicated project/ hobby would be a propane foundry. Well that and there's always the lucrative sex toy industry.

Has it seen regular use? Has it been sitting and if so how long? When was the last service/maintenance done and what did that entail? If it has a belt when was that replaced? Check the electric cord for any damage.

In looking up the model number of the machine listed in the ad, it is a specific machine for doing 'bar tacks'. This is the reinforcing stitch used on bluejeans and will not be a good choice for regular sewing as you cannot convert it for traditional stitches.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/2/16 10:21 a.m.

I have an old Necchi (1950s era probably) but would love to get a commercial machine. The cheapest on the local CL is $350.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
12/2/16 10:27 a.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo:

So, no bueno for auto upholstery I assume.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
12/2/16 10:31 a.m.
fasted58 wrote: Holy crap, there's a E36 M3load of sewing machines on CL including the OP's vintage, Slant-O-Matic and this Commercial Singer for $100. Sewing must not be as popular anymore as in grannies day. Go figure.

We have done several environmental assessments on closed textile mills in which thousands of sewing machines were going to be scrapped. No need for them here and they couldn't give them away. They looked a lot like this machine.

EastCoastMojo
12/2/16 10:33 a.m.

In reply to fasted58:

Good in the very limited application of reinforcing corners seams and high-stress points. For making the long straight stitches that will be MOST of the fabrication, no.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
12/2/16 10:50 a.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo:

Thanks, much appreciated.

Sorry to distract from the OP. That's cool stuff there.

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
12/2/16 11:45 a.m.

The first thing I've sewn:
. I'm happy with the base seam. The French seam is a little uneven on the stitch spacing. Probably related to speed. One side was done a lot faster than the other.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/2/16 11:49 a.m.

This a good deal?

$80

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
12/2/16 12:03 p.m.

I have the same machine in the basement! It is a real trooper.

Just make sure when you change needles you get the new one in the same way. It will freak out if you don't.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fcrkqVCakhqC9Lqywi1L7OpsQChkoaQXY8Cyj6mWp3ueCAarPAe1BZcjFB2Z513d