David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/31/22 3:31 p.m.

I guess it's true that they multiply because we have rabbits everywhere. They're quite cute and, yes, the dog has noticed. 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
5/31/22 3:37 p.m.

I've never see as many rabbits as I have since I moved down here (Port Charlotte). And yes, my dog has noticed, and feasted as well.  

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/31/22 3:45 p.m.

As inflation pushes the price of meat out of reach of the majority of Americans, backyard game like squirrels, rabbits and groundhogs will explode in popularity and become the latest in haute cuisine.

https://outdoorfield.net/how-to-cook-groundhog/

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/31/22 3:48 p.m.

Yep, they are all over the place here. They are fast. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/31/22 3:49 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

As inflation pushes the price of meat out of reach of the majority of Americans, backyard game like squirrels, rabbits and groundhogs will explode in popularity and become the latest in haute cuisine.

I hear it tastes like chicken. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/31/22 4:00 p.m.

We used to have lots of bunnies and hares a decade ago.

Now we have foxes and hawks.

The bunnies are either scarce, or making themselves scarce.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
5/31/22 4:07 p.m.

We have tons of bunnies and they're hawk food and also make our garden hard to keep up. The deer destroy everything so we fenced it in and the bunnies go under the fence. Argh!

I would be interested in eating them but I'm afraid of tularemia.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
5/31/22 4:19 p.m.

The bunny population has grown exponentially in my urban neighborhood since the pandemic. However, this guy, taunts me whenever he gets the chance. My dogs don't seem to care either.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/22 4:22 p.m.

In reply to J.A. Ackley :

he's alright, nobody worry about him.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/31/22 4:33 p.m.

Somehow the bunny knew to eat the weed and not our ground cover. 

The little guy chewed it up like a wood chipper, just devouring a foot-long plant without pause. 

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/31/22 5:00 p.m.

We have a lot of bunnies and have for a few years but the biggest change I've noticed lately is Chipmunks.   When we moved in 10 years ago I never saw one, now we have several living under our deck and around the house.  They don't seem to harm anything so I just enjoy watching them scurrying around imagining they are the Rescue Rangers on some adventure.  

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/31/22 5:06 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

Not to sound alarmist, but my brother's car sustained damage to the fuel pump and associated wiring and plumbing.  The consensus seemed to be that it was consumed by chipmunks.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
5/31/22 5:59 p.m.
Slippery said:
1988RedT2 said:

I hear it tastes like chicken. 

Down in South Florida, iguanas are known in some communities as "chicken of the tree." During cold snaps, they literally fall out of the trees, stunned, like manna from heaven.

And back to the original post, David, I thought of you this weekend when a fat little bunny went hopping along my front walk. Been a good year for them, I guess.

Margie

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/22 6:01 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Bean the Nanobunny loooooved dandelions, over anything else.

He comes up to check you out when you go into "his" backyard but he never approaches people more than that.  Still, it is amusing to be going up a driveway getting chased by a rabbit.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/31/22 6:03 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to J.A. Ackley :

he's alright, nobody worry about him.

Damn near fell off the bar stool laughing!

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/31/22 6:30 p.m.

Of course with this thread being near the top, I arrive home to signs that our cat, "Mittens the Destroyer" has brought something in the house. Droppings and fur and blood in the master closet lead to a young rabbit hiding for his life, literally.

I rescued him and put him back outside to survive another day. Hopefully the rest of the neighborhood critters get the hint to avoid our yard.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/22 6:49 p.m.

This little one is barely larger than a baseball and has been out roaming from it's nest the past 3 days (and has increased in size by about 1/3 since Saturday). 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/22 7:14 p.m.
stafford1500 said:

Of course with this thread being near the top, I arrive home to signs that our cat, "Mittens the Destroyer" has brought something in the house. Droppings and fur and blood in the master closet lead to a young rabbit hiding for his life, literally.

I rescued him and put him back outside to survive another day. Hopefully the rest of the neighborhood critters get the hint to avoid our yard.

They don't.  Bean came into my friend's life (and ours) thanks to one of his dogs finding the nest and killing most of the babies.  A few months later, momma made a nest in the same spot with predictable results.  Two babies survived that attack but they didn't last a week, sadly.

Lobsterpennies
Lobsterpennies Reader
5/31/22 8:22 p.m.

Couple years back my wife rescued about three tiny babies from the snow. Guessing hawk got the mom. Fed them goats milk till they could get on solid food. It was a fun experience even though I had to move them out of the tub every morning to take a shower. We had a hunter dog at the time

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vUta0cYiPi8WoYjHM0RG2hKvgi1ocRUaWRy1AUoSIUACfaa8k53OFNgHv6oEFqhp