1 2
bigwrench
bigwrench New Reader
7/14/08 7:54 p.m.

If you throw enough money.................

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/14/08 7:55 p.m.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/still-the-king/1702/page1/

double post

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/14/08 7:55 p.m.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/still-the-king/1702/page1/

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/14/08 7:56 p.m.

Jinx, you owe me a beer

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/14/08 7:56 p.m.

Preferably NOT an A-B product

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/14/08 8:05 p.m.

Damnit

Jinx..

Same minute and everything...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

We're both shiny happy persons.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/14/08 9:28 p.m.

oh hell, I already drink foreign beer, labats and Guiness

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
7/14/08 9:30 p.m.

Labat?

Dude.

I'm sorry.

wyldpny
wyldpny New Reader
7/14/08 9:31 p.m.

At this point it sounds like it will be owned by..not made by...

nickel_dime
nickel_dime HalfDork
7/15/08 5:37 a.m.

I heard on the news this morning that it looks like they are planning to keep the breweries open but sell off the theme parks.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy New Reader
7/15/08 7:23 a.m.
nickel_dime wrote: I heard on the news this morning that it looks like they are planning to keep the breweries open but sell off the theme parks.

I was wondering what would happen to the busch gardens parks. All of the busch parks that I have been to were very nice. IMO a more valubal brand than budweiser!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/15/08 8:59 a.m.

can't stand beer anyway.. Ale yes, beer no.

wyldpny
wyldpny New Reader
7/15/08 9:47 a.m.

Drink some German or Belgium beer or just about any foreign made beer sometime and you will quickly realize that most mass produced American beers are watered down wannabe's. Maybe being owned by a foreign company might actually help make some of Anheuser-Busch beers become real beer. Anyone who really knows beers will know the old saying: "If you can see through it, it isn't a real beer." Technically most American beers can't even be called "beer" in Germany. They have tight brewing restrictions over there, and since most American made beers are thin colored (except for some micro brews) and even add rice to their recipes, foreign beer makers refer to U.S. beers as a type of brewed beverage, not beer. The funny thing is that Colonel Adolphus Busch may not be rolling over in his grave since his beer is actually returning to its roots. "He attended the Collegiate Institute of Belgium in Brussels, and left his home in 1857 with three of his brothers for St. Louis, Missouri" info found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolphus_Busch

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/15/08 11:41 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote:
nickel_dime wrote: I heard on the news this morning that it looks like they are planning to keep the breweries open but sell off the theme parks.
I was wondering what would happen to the busch gardens parks. All of the busch parks that I have been to were very nice. IMO a more valubal brand than budweiser!

I forgot about the parks, Bucsh Gardens is WAY better than the others I have been to, ie. darien lake(before, and during the 6 flags years,) and hershey park.

I just remembered my third beer of choise, Negro Modela, a mexican dark beer from the people that make Corona. Still need lime thoe.

GeneralHavoc
GeneralHavoc New Reader
7/17/08 8:52 a.m.

Modelo Especial > Negro Modelo. In fact, as far as yellow beer goes, the Especial is my favorite for flavor. But generally, I look for the under $0.50 per can variety of beer. No need to blow money on high quality beer, when it can be blown on high quality liquor. I derive much more pleasure from the latter.

On topic though, this is a sad day for an american icon. I wasn't following the news too closely, but why would they accept this deal? Was A-B hard up for cash? I really don't understand how splitting ownership and losing control of the thing that you've built is to your advantage.

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
7/17/08 9:49 a.m.

I'm sure it had something to do with boards, stockholders, and greed.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
7/17/08 9:55 a.m.

If by "greed" you mean 40% tax rates (35% federal, ~5% state) for American corporations, I'm guessing you're on the right track.

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
7/17/08 10:04 a.m.

All I'm saying is that Budweiser was not hurting for money. The board, or stockholders, or whoever chose the quick buck over keeping an American icon American. Not that I give a crap, I'm just sayin'.

nocarbud
nocarbud New Reader
7/17/08 10:22 a.m.

everyone has a price... 52 billion must be A-B's. I heard Inbev is famous for "cost reductions" and running a tight ship. There are already rumors that the A-B workforce will be dramatically impacted by the new aquisition. I heard one report that they may cut up to 20% of the U.S. workforce.
Something just doesn't seem right there, but I guess its just business.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
7/17/08 10:30 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: can't stand beer anyway.. Ale yes, beer no.

Ale is beer. Beer is a non-distilled beverage produced through yeast fermentation of malted grain.

Ale is the term for a beer produced by a top-down fermenting yeast. Ale includes more beers than you'd realize. Stouts, Porters, Weizens, Barleywines, and Saisons are ales.

Lager is another type of beer. It is beer produced by a bottom-up fermenting yeast. Lagers are not all light. Marzens, dark lagers (Negro Modelo), and Pilseners are all lagers.

There are also "spontaneously" fermented beers. These are beers where the fermentation vats are left open for a time so that they can pick up the yeast strains in the environment. A Lambic would be one of these.

GeneralHavoc
GeneralHavoc New Reader
7/17/08 10:55 a.m.

Yeast strains in the environment? Like, bacteria floating about in the air?

Sam Adams makes a cranberry lambic that they sell during the holidays. Takes some... adjusting to. If you don't immediately regurgitate it, that is. But it's not bad, after that.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/17/08 11:03 a.m.

Is it bad that i really like a framboise(rasberry) Lambic. Oh hell, cant be worse than that one time at a texas theamed bar...never mind

Salanis
Salanis Dork
7/17/08 11:04 a.m.
GeneralHavoc wrote: Yeast strains in the environment? Like, bacteria floating about in the air?

Yes, like bacteria floating in the air. Only it's yeast floating about in the air, along with a bunch of other microorganisms. Although, in reality there is more yeast residue in the fermentation barrels than in the air.

I know a lot more about Ales and Lagers than about Lambics.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
7/17/08 11:07 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: Is it bad that i really like a framboise(rasberry) Lambic. Oh hell, cant be worse than that one time at a texas theamed bar...never mind

Yes. It means you're gay. You probably drive something girly, like a Miata or a Neon.

(J/K. Framboise is yummy. It's black raspberry and good in many alcoholic forms. Like Chambord.)

Mike_M
Mike_M New Reader
7/17/08 4:18 p.m.
16vCorey wrote: All I'm saying is that Budweiser was not hurting for money. The board, or stockholders, or whoever chose the quick buck over keeping an American icon American. Not that I give a crap, I'm just sayin'.

What I've heard here in St. Louis is that the BoD took the second offer in order to prevent a long, drawn-out and expensive hostile takeover. Essentially, if A-B's board hadn't taken the offer, InBev would have appealed directly to the shareholders to convince them to remove the current board members and vote in members more agreeable to the buyout.

It seems that the concensus thought is that a takeover was a foregone conclusion from the minute InBev made an offer, the only thing to decide on was how much money it was going to take and how friendly the takeover would be.

I like the fact that they are referring to it in terms of being a "merger", not a buyout. Anyone remember a similar term being used when Daimler bought Chrysler? And then a few years later, the execs at Daimler were quoted as admitting that it was a buyout all along, they only used the word "merger" to appease the unions...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SEhXjhfjW9CDSH3j2liujDs7BvP0VmsEUn9QUzV4xeM2hYyctpUPggaTp7whm9aU