birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/5/23 3:21 p.m.

There are a lot of very smart people on this board and I'd love to gather some opinions. 

S2A modular promises to have Tesla Power wall tech, graphene solar panels and atmospheric water generating capabilities integrated into every home and building. 

I know where I stand, but I'd love to hear where the hive comes in on this one. 

No links intentionally, but very easy to find the source material 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/5/23 5:11 p.m.

I don't have any knowledge of C2A but I've been looking into off grid stuff a lot lately.  I was amazed at how much higher priced the Tesla Power wall stuff was vs others.  Atmospheric water generating?  Like the military stuff?  It violates the KISS principle for me.  Rainwater collection is much simpler other than storage.

Edit - I assume you mean S2A after I googled?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/5/23 6:23 p.m.

IMO a lot of the energy efficient market does violate the KISS principle.  There are huge gains to be had while making houses as simple as they are now (or even simpler).

That said, if you are going to use a system like solar, or water generator, or a battery, integrating it from the beginning has got to be a whole lot more efficient than adding it afterward.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
2/5/23 11:55 p.m.

S2A Modular GreenLuxe homes is what the OP was looking for. 

Passive, Energy Self-Sufficient, Smart and Efficient Interior design are all great goals but none of it means a thing if we people can't afford them via a traditional mortgage and low buy in price.

The problem I see with modular homes is that unless you are a software developer, you pretty much need to live in relatively close proximity to major job markets and urban areas, which means even if the price of home building goes down, finding land to put it on is getting harder and less affordable. 

Thus our housing shortage is in urban areas.

The only way high density housing is going to get all of these green improvements is if there is money to made from it for the investors/owners of said high density apartments. Otherwise, since most utility costs are passed on to the tenant, why bother? 

birdmayne
2/6/23 12:07 a.m.

Yes, S2A, apologies. I can't read my own handwriting sometimes. Can a Moderatoe please amend the thread title? 

birdmayne
2/6/23 12:15 a.m.

I found out about them when an old friend asked if I'd be his dedicated crane operations supervisor of he bought in and built a bunch of these homes. 

For me, it sounds like a dream. Organize and handle crane contracts, job lay outs, etc and be compensated handsomely to do something I love. 

But after five minutes of research I had found zero substance on S2A. After 45 minutes, still nothing more than social media posts, marketing blasts and computer renderings of high tech homes. 

I'm a firm believer in "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is."  That's my current outlook, 90% skepticism with a thread of hope. 

To my knowledge, (and please, correct me if I'm wrong) graphene solar panels have not reached the open market and are still in the research / implementation phases. One of the major patent holders is the contractor affiliated with S2A and researching them provided similar dead ends. 

Additionally, I've heard claims that the atmospheric water generating capabilities of these homes are sufficient to be water independent even in a drought. 

That... can't be real either. 

I would love to see this work, but man... 

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
2/6/23 12:35 a.m.

If you want a traditional mortgage then in almost every case you'll need an electricity hook up to be able to get the loan.  If you settle for a non traditional mortgage you might eat up all your "savings"

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
2/6/23 7:37 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Rainwater collection is illegal in many places 

that's all I have to add. 

j_tso
j_tso Dork
2/6/23 8:54 a.m.

Is this like Huf Haus but with extra green cred ?

I like the concept of a prefab house that can be erected in less than a month.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/6/23 9:00 a.m.
birdmayne said:

I found out about them when an old friend asked if I'd be his dedicated crane operations supervisor of he bought in and built a bunch of these homes. 

For me, it sounds like a dream. Organize and handle crane contracts, job lay outs, etc and be compensated handsomely to do something I love. 

But after five minutes of research I had found zero substance on S2A. After 45 minutes, still nothing more than social media posts, marketing blasts and computer renderings of high tech homes. 

I'm a firm believer in "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is."  That's my current outlook, 90% skepticism with a thread of hope. 

To my knowledge, (and please, correct me if I'm wrong) graphene solar panels have not reached the open market and are still in the research / implementation phases. One of the major patent holders is the contractor affiliated with S2A and researching them provided similar dead ends. 

Additionally, I've heard claims that the atmospheric water generating capabilities of these homes are sufficient to be water independent even in a drought. 

That... can't be real either. 

I would love to see this work, but man... 

Ok I see what you are after.

Yeah, my initial googling was more focused on the concept.  But that is all it appears to be at this point.  At no point did I see any pictures, prices, reviews, anything resembling substance.

I'm not up to speed on the solar tech.  The water generating tech must vary significantly with geographic location, right?  Here in NC I'm fairly sure just capturing the runoff from a standard A/C unit in the summer would get you most of the way there.  Obviously rainwater collection would get you all you could ever need.  

Here rainwater collection is very legal.  The city does litte intro classes to teach people about it/how to do it.  But yeah, some places it is very much not legal.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/23 10:51 a.m.

I'll just add that atmospheric water generation on a home scale sounds severely gimmicky.

Stampie
2/6/23 10:56 a.m.
DrBoost said:

In reply to Stampie :

That is quickly changing.

Stampie
2/6/23 11:02 a.m.

In reply to birdmayne :

Found this thread from 3 years ago up to recent days.  Doesn't look good.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/80/topics/849154-has-anyone-reviewed-s2a-modular-just-doing-my-diligence

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
2/6/23 11:07 a.m.
Stampie said:
DrBoost said:

In reply to Stampie :

That is quickly changing.

Is that rain water for drinking or  all the other uses you would have around the house  like washing , toilets or lawns ?

not much use here as there is no rain for 7-8 months , 

One thing people are doing is "harvesting  Fog water"  from the overnight moisture , it gets pretty wet here near the coast.

Stampie
2/6/23 11:33 a.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

There's lots of people out west that collect enough during the rainy season to last them a year.  They'll have storage for 15000 gallons plus.  I'm looking at storage for 2000 gallons because we get rain year around.  While I'm not into some of their terra forming methods it is amazing what they can do with just rain water.  Yes if properly treated it can be used for drinking also.  

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
2/6/23 11:34 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

From that thread I gather then 200 Sq ft (does not include land), is only economical in Ny, NY and California where housing and cost of living is extremely high. However the big companies are stuck in the 80's and very few companies can deliver and being a investor is a huge risk, with little reward. I would assume the extreme wealth of Tom Brady who have homes as such wouldn't help the common person because they are so customized and likely companies would be drooling and putting their resources in "hollywood", rather having a cost effective common person home, with a slim profit margin. Cool idea though.

birdmayne
2/6/23 12:14 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to birdmayne :

Found this thread from 3 years ago up to recent days.  Doesn't look good.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/80/topics/849154-has-anyone-reviewed-s2a-modular-just-doing-my-diligence

I've read through that a few times now. Doesn't bode well. 

According to my source, they are promising deliverable units by summer time. How? The factory isn't even paved in.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
2/6/23 12:35 p.m.

It's off grid. Pudumtsst

llysgennad
llysgennad HalfDork
2/6/23 1:33 p.m.

I poked around their website, and read a lot of that thread. I think the most feasible part of the whole concept is the atmospheric water generation. Modular homes are not hard, and nothing else here is ground breaking. Except maybe the amount of nepotism/corporate shenanigans in that company.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/6/23 9:27 p.m.

Twenty posts in and no one brings this up?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CKAHLwbWUvCdJ1wDkM6JoRm2edTaJKPOGQie4QOC0kNvk9Z8w6NcEUkZuFbH6OrY