914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/10/22 12:05 p.m.

Nice RV.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
10/10/22 5:39 p.m.

Got bald eagles?

Took this photo today a few miles from my house...

At the garbage dump (please hold political commentary)

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/10/22 5:58 p.m.
NickD said:

Can someone edumacte me as to this pic and why/how the exhaust stubs are coming out in different areas please.  Obviously a flat head/side valve, but I still don't get it.

DonnonGT
DonnonGT New Reader
10/10/22 5:59 p.m.
Apexcarver said:

Got bald eagles?

Took this photo today a few miles from my house...

At the garbage dump (please hold political commentary)

Build Back Better. (Sorry)

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/22 6:02 p.m.
RichardNZ said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
chandler said:

No.  You can't do a Cossie C pillar removal without also installing the Cossie grille, otherwise it just looks dumb.

That's like making a short wheelbase Audi quattro without using the A pillars/windshield from a 4000/80.  It looks wrong.  Pick one or the other but not both.

That frontal treatment is seriously fugly, but everyone to their own I guess ...

It's a little hard to tell in the pictures but I suspect that it is actually a Mk II Sierra since the 2 door models didn't have the fake C pillar. If it is a Cosworth it is very rare car since all, or at least the vast majority to my understanding, of the non Mk I RS's were the notchback Sapphire shell. 2WD initially and 4WD later.

Paging Gustaf to the courtesy phone for a definitive answer since he was / is exposed to a lot more of the variations than we ever were down under smiley

It was somewhat popular in the US to remove the XR4Ti's C pillar to make it look like a Sierra Cosworth.  I assumed the pic was taken in the US.

But it looks wrong with the XR4 flat nose.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/10/22 7:16 p.m.

Been on the hunt for one of these white squirrels for a while now. Finally found one. Problem is, now I have lost a reason to go for long walks looking for the little rats with furry tails.

DonnonGT
DonnonGT New Reader
10/10/22 7:47 p.m.
NOHOME said:

Been on the hunt for one of these white squirrels for a while now. Finally found one. Problem is, now I have lost a reason to go for long walks looking for the little rats with furry tails.

TheRyGuy
TheRyGuy New Reader
10/10/22 8:41 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

Normally on a flat head Ford, all the exhaust ports go through the water jacket to get to the outside of the block, with the center two cylinders sharing an exhaust port (that goes through the water jacket as well). That works marginaly on a stock '32 Ford, really puts a lot of heat in the coolant when you up the power. 

Looks like they divorced the center two cylinders, got the other ports straightened out for better flow, and now only one exhaust is putting heat in the coolant/has a real sharp flow reducing bend.

It's part of the reason ARDUN overhead valve heads were developed for the flat head Ford (for use in delivery trucks at first, so they could make more power/haul more stuff before overheating).

johndej
johndej SuperDork
10/10/22 9:22 p.m.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/11/22 8:21 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/11/22 8:39 a.m.

What's the red disc?

therealpinto
therealpinto GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/11/22 9:13 a.m.
RichardNZ said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
chandler said:

No.  You can't do a Cossie C pillar removal without also installing the Cossie grille, otherwise it just looks dumb.

That's like making a short wheelbase Audi quattro without using the A pillars/windshield from a 4000/80.  It looks wrong.  Pick one or the other but not both.

That frontal treatment is seriously fugly, but everyone to their own I guess ...

It's a little hard to tell in the pictures but I suspect that it is actually a Mk II Sierra since the 2 door models didn't have the fake C pillar. If it is a Cosworth it is very rare car since all, or at least the vast majority to my understanding, of the non Mk I RS's were the notchback Sapphire shell. 2WD initially and 4WD later.

Paging Gustaf to the courtesy phone for a definitive answer since he was / is exposed to a lot more of the variations than we ever were down under smiley

Well, it is really "only" a MkI Sierra 3-door, as sold in most of Europe - the front end has had its Ford badge removed but otherwise it is a standard "medium/high trim" (GL/Ghia/XR/S) front panel  - but the bumper is a "high level" (Ghia/XR/S) version with a custom air dam, some kind of partly fitted body kit (could be XR4i less door panels and with Cosworth arch extensions).

The MkII has the wraparound front indicators and wider lights, and not the triangular rear lights for the wraparound. MkI Cosworth was only 3-door, MkII Cosworth only 4-door sedan ("Sapphire", 2wd and then 4wd). The MkII 3-doors (be it base models or S) were not sold in the UK so you will also read from UK sources "there were no MkII 3-doors" but that is not accurate. To make matters more confusing, in Europe except the UK, Ford sold a MkII XR4i (rwd) that was a 5-door with a "normal" bodyshell, not the funny side windows from the MkI XR4i. But of course also the XR4x4 (4wd) that at least in Sweden was not much more expensive than the XR4i - a reason why few MkII XR4is were sold...

Gustaf

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/11/22 9:29 a.m.

1971 Saab 95 that is not the way it left the factory.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/11/22 9:29 a.m.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
10/11/22 12:40 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
RichardNZ said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
chandler said:

It was somewhat popular in the US to remove the XR4Ti's C pillar to make it look like a Sierra Cosworth.  I assumed the pic was taken in the US.

But it looks wrong with the XR4 flat nose.

Y'all are nuts, it's a guy who built something to drift out of a bunch of cars. Elitists...... lol

A sierra Hearse for you

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/11/22 7:55 p.m.
NOHOME said:

Create your own scavenger hunt. High school friend trapped one and painted it blue before releasing. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/11/22 8:49 p.m.

This thread needs moar Boomerang.

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
10/12/22 8:42 a.m.
P3PPY said:

Create your own scavenger hunt. High school friend trapped one and painted it blue before releasing. 

Be careful, it might fool a cat.

Gary
Gary UberDork
10/12/22 3:08 p.m.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/22 4:13 p.m.

Gary
Gary UberDork
10/12/22 4:36 p.m.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/12/22 4:47 p.m.

Hmmm, maybe I need some bronze wheels for the Miata next year (these are the summer wheels for my Yaris that I put on for winter storage)

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/22 5:34 p.m.

In reply to Gary :

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
10/12/22 5:41 p.m.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
10/13/22 3:34 a.m.

1 ... 4473 4474 4475 4476 4477 ... 4665

You'll need to log in to post.