1 2 3 ... 8
EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/20/12 2:09 p.m.

In the hopes of making this thread as popular as the hotlinking thread, I ask you, can we please stop it!?

OK, me first. This is an amazing recipe for Fettuccine Alfredo, with a spicy kick. Alas, I don't have any pictures of it yet, but it is a keeper recipe for sure.

EastCoastMojo's Fettuccine Alfredo

1 lb. Dry Egg Fettuccine
1/3 C Unsalted Butter
2 C Heavy Cream
2+ C Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
3.5 oz Sliced Pepperoni, cut in half moons
16 oz Sliced Canned Mushrooms, drained
2 pinches Nutmeg
Smoked Sweet Spanish Paprika (Margie turned me on to this and my life has not been the same since )
Salt & Pepper to taste
Parsley for garnish

Start a large pot of water to boil for the pasta.

In a medium sized skillet fry the pepperoni (cut into half moon shapes) over medium low heat until crispy. As the pepperoni starts to release some of their oils, add a dash of the Smoked Sweet Paprika and toss with the pepperoni. Once crispy, remove pepperoni to a plate in a warm oven until needed later. (I like to warm up my serving plates in an oven set at about 170°.)

In the pepperoni oil that remains in the pan, add the drained mushroom slices and 2 small pats of unsalted butter and stir occasionally. Keep over medium heat unless they start to 'pop', in that case turn them down to medium low.

When the pasta is al dente, drain into a colander and rinse with cool water, reserving some of the pasta water. In the same pot that you cooked the pasta in, melt the 1/3 C unsalted butter and whisk in the heavy cream and the nutmeg. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly. Watch for bubbles. As soon as you see them turn the heat to low and add the grated parmesan. Stir to combine thoroughly. Thin with pasta water if needed for consistency.

Take a large bowl and place approximately one serving's worth of the pasta in it, and add some Alfredo sauce. Stir to coat the noodles thoroughly. Remove to the serving plate and top with the mushrooms, pepperoni, and parsley garnish. Another dash of nutmeg on top gives an excellent presentation.

I like to do one serving at a time using the bowl method described, instead of just dumping the entire colander's worth of pasta in there at once, because serving it gets really sloppy messy that way.

Bon Appetit!

Since I didn't have a picture of the final dish, here's a few pictures of the ingredients:

This stuff is absolutely incredible.

I prefer the 'nest' style fettuccine pasta.

Good ol' pepperoni.

You want canned or "marinated" mushrooms for this, not fresh.

So, what's at the top of your list of favorite recipes?

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
3/20/12 2:15 p.m.

Here's one of my favorite recipes.

Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bar

1 Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bar

Unwrap and eat.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/20/12 2:18 p.m.

Ah, yes. Also a favorite around here.

failboat
failboat Dork
3/20/12 2:38 p.m.

I guess I should pick my wifes brain for some of my more favorite recipies. Im not allowed in the kitchen because I berkeley things up.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
3/20/12 2:47 p.m.

I'll chip in

PORK AND MUSHROOM ROLLUPS

1 lb "stew Pork" or pork tenderloin, cut in 1" cubes give or take

1 pkg fresh presliced & cleaned white mushrooms. or clean em & slice em yoself, whatever.

1 bunch fresh green onions

2/3 cup real Tahini (Sesame paste)

Fresh garlic & black pepper to taste

several flour tortillas

How-To: Wash the onions and chop into billions of little white and green rings. Sautee pork, whole package of mushrooms, and HALF of onions in extra virgin olive oil with garlic and pepper as desired. I like 2-3 cloves in this and lots of pepper. When pork is cooked through and mushrooms are sufficiently cooked down, add the Tahini. Stir continuously for a minute or so, heating Tahini through.

Okay, hears the only iffy part. When you add water to tahini it gets THICKER at first, going from pancake batter consistency to peanut butter. If you add just a little more water, it thins out and gets a beautiful pearlescent hue. If you add just a little more, it waters down and turns to crap.

So, add just a little water (1/4 cup?) and stir as the Tahini thickens. Keep stirring and adding water until it JUST thins out and goes pearly. You should have a nice, not-too-thin sauce on your Pork Nuggets.

Fill warmed flour tortillas with the pork mixture and top with more green onions before rolling up.

All amounts are guesses and/or adjustable. It ain't rocket science but it IS damn good!

e_pie
e_pie Reader
3/20/12 2:57 p.m.

My quick chicken dinner dish.

Some chicken tenderloins or breasts, Tony Chachere's creole seasoning, honey, and 10 minute boil in bag rice.

Wait for the water to start boiling.

Start pan frying the chicken at the same time you put the rice in the boiling water, they should both finish at about the same time. (so 10 minutes, give or take)

Liberally cover the chicken with the seasoning while it's cooking. Coat it with honey after it's cooked.

The rice is just a side dish.

e_pie
e_pie Reader
3/20/12 2:59 p.m.

Oh and this seasoning is great for steaks.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
3/20/12 3:00 p.m.

Take 1 Yukon Gold potato
Soak in olive oil about 10 min
Dust with Cajun Seasoning
Use a turkey injector to add about an oz of green tobasco
Bake until soft
Cut open and stuff with red beans and rice
Top with a dollop of Sour Cream

Potato on taste-buds heavy petting ensues

mndsm
mndsm UberDork
3/20/12 3:08 p.m.

EASIEST RECIPE OF AWESOME EVER

1lb sirloin steak, cubed
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 package french onion soup mix (I actually use beefy onion because more meat flavr, but french is what the recipe started with)

put all this stuff in a casserole dish or roasting pan. Set oven to 350*. Let cook for about an hour. Put on mashed potatoes, rice, or noodles. Enjoy.

The best part? This recipe doubles/triples/quadruples VERY easily. I usually make 4-5 batches at once and keep frozen/in the fridge for an easy, hearty meal.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
3/20/12 3:12 p.m.

Super Rye Bread Recipe

Here is one of my favorite bread machine recipies for "Super Rye Bread". Buy the yeast for about $5 for two pounds at Sam's or another restaurant supply store. Don't buy those rip-off packets at the grocery store.

3 cups white flour
1 cup stone ground rye flour
1-3/4 cups water
1 tablespoon yeast
1 tablespoon dry onion
1 tablespoon caraway seeds
1 tablespoon oil of your choice (olive, whatever)
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon glutten (optional, don't worry about it if you don't have it)

Dump all the stuff in the bread maker, push "go". Make sure that the mixer blade will mix it all with the extra water. If it won't, help it along some by mixing it a little first with a spoon before you press "go".

Sultan
Sultan Reader
3/20/12 3:15 p.m.

So when did this site migrate to Pininerest

slefain
slefain SuperDork
3/20/12 4:14 p.m.

Single man survival food.

• 1 can roast beef in gravy

• 1 box instant mashed potatoes

• 2 pieces of sliced sandwich bread

• 2 tall boy beers of your choice.

Open the beer, take a few swigs.

Take the can of roast beet and dump it in a small sauce pot. Add about 1 can of water. Heat on low to a simmer to create gravy. Take a few swigs of beer.

Make the instant mashed potatoes following the instruction on the box for one serving. Take a few swigs of beer.

Toast the bread. Finish the beer.

Take the toast, put it on a plate. Cover the toast with the mashed potatoes. Cover that with the roast beef and gravy. Open the other beer. Dig in.

I lived off that for years and never got tired of it. Little salt, little pepper, and all good.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
3/20/12 4:25 p.m.

Pulled pork 3-4 pound pork butt roast
1/4 cup water

Place the roast in a greased crock pot with the water.
Cook for 9 to 10 hours.
When tender and cool enough to handle, shred pork in a 9x13 pan.
Next, make the sauce:

1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 Tablespoon vinegar
1.5 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons prepared mustard

Mix ingredients and pour over the pork.
Stir it up.
Bake at 300 degrees for 45 minutes (uncovered), stir every 15 minutes.

fromeast2west
fromeast2west Reader
3/20/12 4:39 p.m.
Derick Freese wrote: Here's one of my favorite recipes. Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bar 1 Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bar Unwrap and eat.

You forgot the part where you have to make sure it is a Hershey's with almonds. (also makes amazing smores)

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
3/20/12 5:23 p.m.

I've been on a crockpot kick this school year, since the kids' active high school schedules mean that if it's not made and waiting there warm and inviting, we end up eating crap. Couple of favorites are excellent for a forum full of guys, too. Like this one:

Smoky-spicy slow-cooked turkey

1 turkey breast (frozen works fine, but food safety Nazis will want to thaw first) 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika 1 envelope Sazon Goya Cayenne to taste

Unwrap turkey breast. Rub with seasonings, plunk in crock pot, cook on Low for 8 hours. Eat.

Slow cooker chicken tandoori

1 whole chicken 1/2 C yogurt 2 t garam masala 2 cloves garlic, minced 1t ginger 1/2 t cumin 1/4 t ground cloves Juice of one lemon Siracha to taste

Mix yogurt with next 7 ingredients, pour over chicken in ziploc bag, squeeze to coat and marinate overnight. Put chicken in crockpot, add 1 onion to cavity, cook on Low 8 hrs or High 4.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
3/20/12 5:29 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: Slow cooker chicken tandoori 1 whole chicken 1/2 C yogurt 2 t garam masala 2 cloves garlic, minced 1t ginger 1/2 t cumin 1/4 t ground cloves Juice of one lemon Siracha to taste Mix yogurt with next 7 ingredients, pour over chicken in ziploc bag, squeeze to coat and marinate overnight. Put chicken in crockpot, add 1 onion to cavity, cook on Low 8 hrs or High 4.

Must try this one.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/20/12 5:35 p.m.

Roast veggies; simple and tasty. Usually serve along with some kind of protein, like pan-fried chicken or turkeyburgers (or occasionally steak for me and chicken for non-beef-eating girlfriend):

Cube up a couple of Yukon Gold potatoes, a parsnip, halve a bunch of Brussels sprouts, dice half an onion, slice a stalk or two of celery and a couple of carrots. The total amount of veggies is dictated by the size of your roasting pan; you don't want to crowd stuff much or it'll steam instead of roast...

Once you've got a panful of veggies, give a generous drizzle of olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt and fresh pepper, and give it all a good toss to coat. Spread the veggies evenly across the bottom of the pan. If you've got it, lay some whole sprigs of thyme on top (remove after roasting).

Roast at 425 for 20 minutes or so. You'd like to see some browning.

Enjoy!

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
3/20/12 5:51 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

I forgot one thing: if you care about the red color, you'll need to add a little red food coloring, Indian tandoori coloring (you can buy it, apparently, tho I never have) or tumeric in the yogurt marinade. Or just throw in a packet of Sazon Goya with achiote, which is what I do. And why the lazy turkey recipe reminded me of this one in the first place.

Margie

Margie

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/20/12 6:14 p.m.
slefain wrote: Single man survival food. - 1 can roast beef in gravy - 1 box instant mashed potatoes - 2 pieces of sliced sandwich bread - 2 tall boy beers of your choice. Open the beer, take a few swigs. Take the can of roast beet and dump it in a small sauce pot. Add about 1 can of water. Heat on low to a simmer to create gravy. Take a few swigs of beer. Make the instant mashed potatoes following the instruction on the box for one serving. Take a few swigs of beer. Toast the bread. Finish the beer. Take the toast, put it on a plate. Cover the toast with the mashed potatoes. Cover that with the roast beef and gravy. Open the other beer. Dig in. I lived off that for years and never got tired of it. Little salt, little pepper, and all good.

My mom used to call that SOS. Short for Sh!@ on a shingle. Well, minus the beer. Also works with rice. Quick and easy for those busy evenings. My wife still cooks it every once in a while.

My contribution:

Whole chicken, stuff with quartered onions and celery. Salt and pepper. Cook to 175 internal temp. Make gravy with the drippings and serve with rice and your choice of vegetable. It's enough to make your tongue slap your eyeballs.

And my favorite.

Large steak.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Cook 2 minuets or less per side over inferred burner on grill.

You can put other stuff on the plate, but if the steak is good enough you won't remember what they were.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
3/20/12 6:21 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Cook 2 minuets or less per side over inferred burner on grill. You can put other stuff on the plate, but if the steak is good enough you won't remember what they were.

AAAwwwwwwYYYAAAAAYYUUUHHH!!!! QFT!

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/20/12 8:10 p.m.

I must need to get better at steak, I can distinctly remember the grilled corn-on-the-cob I fixed with my signature steak (very similar to Toyman01's recipe, but with Red Robbin seasoning in lieu of salt and pepper, and cooked to a nice medium-to-medium-well over a hardwood charcoal fire), and I haven't fixed that combo in nearly 15 months

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte HalfDork
3/20/12 8:24 p.m.

I have a hard time with fancy ingredients. Grow it , cook it,eat it. salt and pepper to taste. Animal or vegetable.

slopecarver
slopecarver New Reader
3/20/12 8:25 p.m.

Take one chicken breast, cook in a boring manner (I will either cook it in a pan with lid with some water for added heat transfer or Sous-Vide) Add sliced chicken breast to already cookedKnorrs chicken rice side mix, let cool to non-scalding temperatures and enjoy!

If you are feeling fat and sassy cook up half a pack of bacon, chop into little bits and add to a whole box of velveta shells and cheese.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/20/12 8:27 p.m.
Derick Freese wrote: Here's one of my favorite recipes. Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bar 1 Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bar Unwrap and eat.
fromeast2west wrote: You forgot the part where you have to make sure it is a Hershey's with almonds. (also makes amazing smores)

You can also add a nice thick layer of peanut butter if there are no kids in the immediate area, as PB is apparently lethal to anyone under 10

A quick meal: one london broil, rub with smoked paprika, kosher salt, black and cayanne pepper, cumin, brown sugar and garlic powder. Let it sit in the fridge while the chacoals light and burn down. Place pile of charcoal on one side of the grill, meat on the other for indirect heat, and cover for 30-40 minutes. Slather with your favorite sauce for the last ten. Slice it thin and serve it on a section of hot garlic bread with some more sauce on top.

If you are planing ahead, Alton Browns Sauerbratern comes very close to my grandmother's. It has to soak for atleast the three days for it to reach full strength http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/sauerbraten-recipe/index.html Serve with some red cabbage and home made spaetzle or potato balls

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte HalfDork
3/20/12 8:30 p.m.
slopecarver wrote: Take one chicken breast, cook in a boring manner (I will either cook it in a pan with lid with some water for added heat transfer or Sous-Vide) Add sliced chicken breast to already cookedKnorrs chicken rice side mix, let cool to non-scalding temperatures and enjoy! If you are feeling fat and sassy cook up half a pack of bacon, chop into little bits and add to a whole box of velveta shells and cheese.

Did you say four pounds of bacon?With Velveeta? bad eyes and wishful thinking

1 2 3 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c69Bhid2OCXQSQFNWJTcZujM1yPyblfYAzVDzCh9G0ftXk9rC8D9K1AEDKGx9bIF