1 2 3 4 5 6
jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/22/21 7:26 a.m.

Firefly. 

River as the pilot to replace Walsh.    Kaylee and Simon.  

Zoe has Walsh's baby who loves toy dinosaurs.   Mal and Inara keep up the banter with an affair kept secret from the crew.    Flashbacks showing the real story of Shepard Book.   Jayne temped by Saffron with the resulting dysfunction only those two could muster.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/21 7:41 a.m.

Cane is a good example of why I should never like a TV show. It had an all-star cast, the writing was excellent, it wasn't a rehash of the same old crap (oh you're white people working in police/fire/law/hospital) and was visually excellent. It was killed off after one season. Most shows I like suffer the same fate.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/22/21 8:47 a.m.
NickD said:

A few years ago I would have said Dexter, but that wish apparently got answered

PLEASE explain

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/22/21 9:00 a.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:
ShawnG said:

Becker.

Ted Danson as a bitter, angry doctor in New York.

I loved Cheers. I loved The Good Place. I should probably watch Becker. 

Give Mr. Mayor a shot.   It started a little unevenly but I think it's finding its stride now halfway through the first season, and it uses Ted Danson to good effect.

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/22/21 9:02 a.m.
bobzilla said:
NickD said:

PLEASE explain

They're doing a ten-episode "limited series" this year with the original cast and showrunner, which is not retconning anything but IS gonna give a shot at a more satisfying finale.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/22/21 10:17 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:
stuart in mn said:

Mythbusters, except for the fact they ran out of genuine myths to test.

Is that the truth or just a myth?

See the source image

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/22/21 10:23 a.m.
psteav (Forum Supporter) said:
bobzilla said:
NickD said:

PLEASE explain

They're doing a ten-episode "limited series" this year with the original cast and showrunner, which is not retconning anything but IS gonna give a shot at a more satisfying finale.

I just found that. That'll make the wife happy. She's watched the entire 8 seasons twice. I like it, but I can o ot watch so many before it starts f'n with my head. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/22/21 10:47 a.m.

A sidebar:  Has anyone worked in tv more consistently over the last 40 years than Ted Danson?

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/21 11:37 a.m.

Firefly

Dark Matter (they left it with such a berkeleying cliffhanger)

Miami Vice

3/22/21 11:44 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

A sidebar:  Has anyone worked in tv more consistently over the last 40 years than Ted Danson?

Betty White if you count total appearances as opposed to episodes of a series.  She might give Ted a run for his money.  

Katey Segal has done pretty well.  I just counted on her IMDb page... 46 TV shows and TV movies since Married With Children.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
3/22/21 11:50 a.m.

And there are probably character actors that beat them all with appearances on every show their studio's done over the years.  I once saw an IMDB profile of a guy who had a long career as an extra on pretty much everything.

I thought Swingtown was a great show with an excellent depiction of life in the 70's but was probably a victim of lousy timing. I think if it had been on HBO, or was released today it would do a lot better

3/22/21 11:54 a.m.
jharry3 said:

Firefly. 

River as the pilot to replace Walsh.    Kaylee and Simon.  

Zoe has Walsh's baby who loves toy dinosaurs.   Mal and Inara keep up the banter with an affair kept secret from the crew.    Flashbacks showing the real story of Shepard Book.   Jayne temped by Saffron with the resulting dysfunction only those two could muster.

The newly-restructured and powerless Alliance doesn't know what to do with all the "hands of blue" operatives so they become a fringe society of Reaver-killing commandos.  Firefly crew gets to fight alongside them in an uncomfortable collaboration.  

And the living legend finally gets his eggs.

Mudders become the elite after overthrowing their masters and co-oping the business.

3/22/21 11:58 a.m.
Peabody said:

And there are probably character actors that beat them all with appearances on every show their studio's done over the years.  I once saw an IMDB profile of a guy who had a long career as an extra on pretty much everything.

That basically describes me when I lived in L.A.  Life with Bonnie, King of Queens, Charlie's Angels 2, Freaky Friday, Strong Medicine, commercials, about 20 bit parts in a few National Geographic documentaries, and a CIA training video in which my character gets blown to bits in a Mercedes.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/22/21 12:31 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:
Streetwiseguy said:

Betty White if you count total appearances as opposed to episodes of a series.  She might give Ted a run for his money.  

Katey Segal has done pretty well.  I just counted on her IMDb page... 46 TV shows and TV movies since Married With Children.

Both good examples.  

If you google "Asian karate bad guy extra", you get Al Leung, who was the Asian bad guy karate extra in every damn show on tv 20 t0 40 years ago.

j_tso
j_tso Reader
3/22/21 12:36 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, in the same vein I was going to suggest James Hong. He's had bit parts and supporting roles in TV and movies since the 1950s, but never in a lead role as long as Ted Danson has.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
3/22/21 12:39 p.m.

The Hour (BBC)

Sports Night

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
3/22/21 12:43 p.m.
j_tso said:

James Hong.

Seinfeld, four...

Saw him on the weekend in 5-0 and Rockford files

stroker
stroker UberDork
3/22/21 2:50 p.m.

No fans of Buffy?  No votes for "Twin Peaks"?

I kind of wish "The Lone Gunmen" would have gone longer, but apparently I'm in the minority on that. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/22/21 4:17 p.m.

In reply to stroker :

Twin Peaks was only ever supposed to be a single season. When it became unexpectedly popular, the studio more or less forced David Lynch to extend it for additional seasons. The writing suffered greatly from getting stretched well past intended service life.

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
3/22/21 4:53 p.m.

One I always liked and hated how they ended was Farscape.  Also another bazillion votes for Chuck. 

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/22/21 4:54 p.m.

Firefly, even as flashback story lines would have been cool. 

dr who would be cool if they brought back Moffat, and lost chris chibinal as the show runner, he sucks. Its been so bad since chibinal took over that i just pretend it was cancelled 

speaking of Moffat, the sherlock show he did with cumberbatch was pretty cool, bring that back too. 

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
3/22/21 6:27 p.m.

There was a show on CBS a few years back called the Unit about a Delta Force like unit that got canceled and they half-assed a crappy ending for it.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
3/22/21 7:13 p.m.

Kevin (almost) saves the world? I found it hilarious and then it was gone

i felt like chuck ran its course

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
3/22/21 7:55 p.m.

Space Force

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
3/23/21 6:41 a.m.
stroker said:

No fans of Buffy?  No votes for "Twin Peaks"?

Buffy remains one of my favorite shows, but it more than ran its course.

Twin Peaks got rebooted in 2017.

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xOiZ8gaZ8LmL8ie3yXOT66S2yDZz8VLk1M39dV6uryMqtwvBQXU9HSu1TDbydoCf