The_Jed Dork
5/4/13 8:42 a.m.

He's one of those...

"I ride/drive THIS, I'm a badass!"

662hp isn't enough!?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/4/13 9:02 a.m.
The_Jed wrote: He's one of those... 'I ride/drive THIS, I'm a badass!" 662hp isn't enough!?

There is never enough horsepower. It's a never ending cycle of finding ways to put the power down, then getting more power.

I've actually had customers come back saying that their enigne was down on power because it can't blow the tires away anymore. "Well, you did go from 235 width all-seasons to 295 width drag radials..." "But I can't even break the tires loose in third anymore!" "..."

phaze1todd
phaze1todd HalfDork
5/4/13 9:30 a.m.

Have to say, this thread has done more for my morale (being out here in A-stan) than the "Good God Almighty!" thread!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/4/13 9:51 a.m.

It's not just cars. In the bad ol' days when I raced dirt bikes in the woods it wasn't terribly unusual for someone to buy, say, a CR250 Honda, have it ported, modified power valve, different pipe etc thus taking a tractable motor with a reasonably wide powerband and turn it into a peaky nearly unrideable monster. Then they'd wonder why the guys on the fat slow tractor sounding 4 strokes or the tiddler KDX200's would just blow them away.

Best part: they'd spend even mo' money on tons of go fast stuff and still not get any closer to the front of the pack.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
5/4/13 11:13 a.m.

You should talk the guy into street racing night at the local drag strip, and invite Andy Nelson, and who ever it is on this forum that has the scaries K. After he looses to both of them make a point of explaining that those two cars combined cost less than some of the upgrades on his 'Stang.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/4/13 1:05 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: You should talk the guy into street racing night at the local drag strip, and invite Andy Nelson, and who ever it is on this forum that has the scaries K. After he looses to both of them make a point of explaining that those two cars combined cost less than some of the upgrades on his 'Stang.

This times eleventy billion and three. Be sure to YouTube his reaction.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
5/4/13 1:05 p.m.

I had an MX-5 for a track day last summer. On the way to the track, a guy in a black Genesis coupe rode my ass and then finally flew by me and 3 others doing about a buck-fifty. Sure enough, I get to the track and he's there. I was there to do a story on a track school, so spent most of the day with the newbies on track and in the classroom. But when it came to open lapping, first thing I did was hunt that guy down until he was forced to wave the girly car by. It gave me great pleasure.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/4/13 1:12 p.m.

Lesley, I probably haven't told you lately, but you are my berkeleying hero.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
5/4/13 1:22 p.m.
Lesley wrote: I had an MX-5 for a track day last summer. On the way to the track, a guy in a black Genesis coupe rode my ass and then finally flew by me and 3 others doing about a buck-fifty. Sure enough, I get to the track and he's there. I was there to do a story on a track school, so spent most of the day with the newbies on track and in the classroom. But when it came to open lapping, first thing I did was hunt that guy down until he was forced to wave the girly car by. It gave me great pleasure.

Exactly! I would be willing to bet he was in the beginner group/DE1 and was his first weekend. After a weekend of having "girly" cars all over your bumper coming out of turns, it kinda gives you a reality check to your driving skills instead of your car.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
5/4/13 2:34 p.m.
Lesley wrote: I had an MX-5 for a track day last summer. On the way to the track, a guy in a black Genesis coupe rode my ass and then finally flew by me and 3 others doing about a buck-fifty. Sure enough, I get to the track and he's there. I was there to do a story on a track school, so spent most of the day with the newbies on track and in the classroom. But when it came to open lapping, first thing I did was hunt that guy down until he was forced to wave the girly car by. It gave me great pleasure.

Please tell me you gave him a timid little "meep meep" on the way by.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
5/4/13 2:36 p.m.

How did you know?

Knurled
5/4/13 2:39 p.m.

"How can I get this car out of second gear?"

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork

Atta girl! Hoping against hope that you had a 'Hello Kitty' sticker too...

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork

Were your fingernails painted the appropriate blindingly loud color so he could see them when you did the "courtesy wave?"

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
5/4/13 2:44 p.m.

Uh, no. As someone who owns a horse and a nasty collection of 90s E36 M3ters-on-wheels, my fingernails probably look like yours.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
5/4/13 2:45 p.m.
Lesley wrote: But when it came to open lapping, first thing I did was hunt that guy down until he was forced to wave the girly car by. It gave me great pleasure.

I love you!!!!

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
5/4/13 2:53 p.m.
Lesley wrote: Uh, no. As someone who owns a horse and a nasty collection of 90s E36 M3ters-on-wheels, my fingernails probably look like yours.

Short and kempt?

Knurled
5/4/13 3:19 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: Atta girl! Hoping against hope that you had a 'Hello Kitty' sticker too...

Who doesn't have Hello Kitty on their car?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/4/13 3:25 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote: Atta girl! Hoping against hope that you had a 'Hello Kitty' sticker too...
Who doesn't have Hello Kitty on their car?

I have Hello Kitty on my Miata.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
5/4/13 3:34 p.m.

I don't have either. No Miata, no sticker..

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
5/4/13 3:44 p.m.

It is probably a good thing you can't comprehend his attitude. If he is that stupid about cars can you imagine his attitude about other things? I'll bet his mind is a small dark place popualted by soul sucking trolls.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
5/4/13 4:27 p.m.
phaze1todd wrote: So I got a new co-worker who's ride is a new 'Stang GT500. Plus another $20 grand in aftermarket (bigger blower, bigger brakes, bigger bigger, bigger). Figure, cool. Someone I can relate to. We get talking car and the topic of Mega Squirt comes up. I start with, "I know of people rigging them with ITB's on Miata's. . ." at which point he interupts with, "Whoa, whoa, whoa! We're talking real cars here!" Since then he's been nothing but an egotistical, self righteous little prick. Can't even find a level to co-work with him on.

Ask him how is putting down all that power on those tiny little rear tires. Then definitely autocross course, the upgraded Gt500's are front heavy pigs but on a bigger track they can really get up to speed.

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
5/4/13 5:36 p.m.

Last weekend, I did some driver coaching for a friend of mine in his street legal Spec Miata at Sebring. With him in the passenger seat, and 108hp at the wheels, I passed a FProd 2002, a E36 M3 with a Dinan badge on the rear, and a Shelby GT500 Cobra Mustang. My friend now thinks Spec Miatas are the best track day cars ever.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/4/13 5:43 p.m.

If he doesn't wreck it, that guy sounds like a great source for a fast car once depreciation and boredom kick in.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
5/4/13 7:29 p.m.

People like that give me a headache. He is prolly a nut swinger for 1320 video too where all they do is film massive horsepower cars for mile events and so on.

I'm sure drifting the on-ramps will catch up with him though.

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Dbp3JE1vj87CWNfOXrxpJqr1UcrKx9I7T6DCbRHdjZpyXurfta3Jk5Ar30elIWL7