1 2 3 4 ... 6
MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
6/8/09 8:24 p.m.

Grumps, the lot of you. My problem is I tend to like almost any car. I want to put at least 1000 miles (or 6 months in the side yard) on all of them.

M030
M030 Reader
6/8/09 8:31 p.m.
suprf1y wrote: Any 4 dr car thats been tarted up. They remind me of that guy in high school who thought it would be cool to put Cragars, and wide tires his moms '70 Cutlass 4 dr. It wasn't.

+1

No, it sure wasn't. Remember when four doors were uncool and so was not being able to drive a manual?

When I was in high school (really not that long ago in the scheme of things), if you drove a four door you were driving your mom's car...and putting Cragars on it made you a poser.

M030
M030 Reader
6/8/09 8:41 p.m.

muscle cars.

Back to the high school example. When I was in high school, people drove Chevelles and Novas because they were cheap old clunkers. This was not 30 years ago, either - it was +/- 15 years ago.

If it wasn't an SS Chevelle or a Z/28 Camaro, GT Mustang, etc. then it was just a cheap used car.

I'm willing to bet that people (like my friend Chris) who drove the poverty-spec Chevelles, Novas, Satellites, et al.. because they were cheap transportation, when they graduated from grad school or whatever, and made it big, they didn't go out and buy some six-figure big block version of that car they drove in high school.

Case in point: my friend Chris drove (suffered?) a green on green 6-cylinder/3-speed on the column, two-door 1970 Chevelle through his high school years in the early/mid 90's. He went on to be a very successful software engineer...he now drives an E39 BMW M5 and clearly doesn't miss that crappy old Chevelle.

TJ
TJ Reader
6/8/09 8:56 p.m.
ddavidv wrote: 944's DSM's C4 Corvettes Supras Audi A-anythings BMW Z4s Range Rovers

I agree with that list other than 944's.

nderwater
nderwater New Reader
6/8/09 9:09 p.m.

Have you guys actually driven in anger the cars you dislike? A number of cars which have been listed are a ball to autocross.

M030
M030 Reader
6/8/09 9:13 p.m.

Cars on this list that I've driven in anger, that suck to drive and probably suck more to autocross:

Range Rovers

Hemi Mopars

1996+ Mercedes Benz

Late 60's/Early 70's Camaros, Mustangs, Chevelles

Luke
Luke Dork
6/8/09 9:18 p.m.

Ever taken a Range Rover off road? That's where they're in their element.

I'll add the Nissan R33 and R34 Skyline to the list.

M030
M030 Reader
6/8/09 9:22 p.m.
Luke wrote: Ever taken a Range Rover off road? That's where they're in their element.

Believe it or not, I have. We broke the rear driveshaft...but we weren't exactly treading lightly, either... To be fair, I think any 4X4 would have broken in the situation.

RexSeven
RexSeven HalfDork
6/8/09 9:24 p.m.

As I metioned, I've driven the Fox-body and though I was going to die the instant I hinted at turning. The owner threw all his money into the engine bay and none of it into brakes or suspension tuning. Can you say, "snap-oversteer?" While I understand that particular example was poorly tuned, it turned me off very quickly.

I've driven Civics, and I like them, but ricers have given them a bad reputation. They're theft magnets, get pulled over or followed all the time by suspicious cops, and insurance is high compared to similar cars like my Subaru. Plus, finding a clean one is not easy. Ditto for the Fox-body and F-body.

Any Toyota I didn't list should come with a "may cause drowsiness" warning. They are that boring.

DustoffDave
DustoffDave New Reader
6/8/09 9:53 p.m.

-RX-8s (I don't fit in them well.

-STRYKER Infantry Carrying Vehicle (acceleration is great, but I think they could do with a stiffer rear sway bar...) :)

walterj
walterj Dork
6/8/09 10:02 p.m.
ddavidv wrote: 944's

Agree

ddavidv wrote: DSM's

Agree

ddavidv wrote: C4 Corvettes

Strongly Agree

ddavidv wrote: Supras

Would butcher a show car just for the trans agree.

ddavidv wrote: Audi A-anythings

Agree

ddavidv wrote: BMW Z4s

Uglagree

ddavidv wrote: Range Rovers

Not enough data... who is fawning over these?

I'll add 300Zs and VW GTIs to this list.

motomoron
motomoron New Reader
6/8/09 10:32 p.m.

Current "supercars". Any big dollar car at the track or AX which s backwards slow. Hybrids, particularly Priuses. Volvos. Post e46 3 series. Any B-grade or lower SUV, like anything from Buick, Oldsmobile, Nissan. Honda Ridgeline. Aztek. Any pontiac post-Smoky & The Bandit..

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/8/09 10:37 p.m.
walterj wrote: I'll add 300Zs and VW GTIs to this list.

I will agree on the 300Z if it is the non-turbo and the GTI if it is not the original Golf/Rabbit.

Luke
Luke Dork
6/8/09 10:41 p.m.
motomoron wrote: Current "supercars".

Agreed. Especially the new Lambo's. When I see a Gallardo, it doesn't do anything for me...but an older 911 has me craning my neck for a better look.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture Reader
6/9/09 2:51 a.m.

Tall wagons.

subaru suvs

Hondas "runs for 300 thousand miles" just ignore the plumes of smoke and the fact you have to be followed by the exxon valdez to keep it running.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
6/9/09 5:54 a.m.

Geez Ddavidv, 28 days already?

I agree with your list but would like to add Miatas. (fire up the burning stake.)

Nice cars, but not in my mind worthy of all the attention.

Dan

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
6/9/09 6:12 a.m.

Looks like a touched a nerve with some of you. Hooray.

The "944 vs E30" discussion kind of set me on the path. I've driven 944s. I will never, ever understand people's fascination with them. I really wanted to like them, but they are just hugely disappointing for something with a Porsche badge on it. Sorry, that's just how I feel.

Yes, I've drive A4's, C4's, and DSM's. I actually like driving DSM coupes with the awd/turbo combination but their spectacular unreliability put them on the list. C4 Corvettes are creaky and Cavalier-ish. A4's are unreliable and the steering feel sucks, and the bigger A-cars aren't any better built despite their fantastic price tags. The Range Rover made the list because...well, you need to be around a couple of RR fanbois to grasp just how absurdly these things are worshipped while every mechanic in the world will tell you they are junk.

The Z4 made the list simply because I find it hideous.

Some other good choices by some of you though I must admit I find Miatas live up to the hype. Maybe that's because I've owned so many classic roadsters that make them look good.

924guy
924guy HalfDork
6/9/09 6:22 a.m.

not many cars i truly dislike, but tall cars with high beltlines make me shiver with their ungainly looks. every time i see a echo or an aerio, i think their going to tip over at every curve...

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury HalfDork
6/9/09 6:24 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote: Grumps, the lot of you. My problem is I tend to like almost any car. I want to put at least 1000 miles (or 6 months in the side yard) on all of them.
nderwater wrote: Have you guys actually driven in anger the cars you dislike? A number of cars which have been listed are a ball to autocross.
924guy wrote: not many cars i truly dislike...

I agree whole heartedly...just about any car can be made desirable if its in its element....some of the lists above are downright blasphemous, and made baby Jesus cry

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
6/9/09 6:56 a.m.

I dislike Lambos, Mustangs, F-bodies (except 2nd and 3rd gens), and i think that's really about it.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
6/9/09 7:32 a.m.

I dislike cars that everyone likes because everyone else dislikes them. Or is it the other way around?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Reader
6/9/09 7:40 a.m.

Harley Davidsons

Any Ferrari since the since the 456

Diablo's

Evo's

NASCAR's

Pick up trucks as daily drivers.

BTW, BobOfTheFuture, is there a larger version of your avatar pic? looks cool.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
6/9/09 8:10 a.m.
M030 wrote: poverty-spec Chevelles

Quoted because it made me smile. "Poverty Spec" pretty much defines my automotive portfolio right now.

Cool, Clem

CoryB
CoryB Reader
6/9/09 8:11 a.m.

Prius'

BMWs

Aztecs - although I'm not sure many people fawn over them

Anything NASCAR

Toyota Camrys - actually most Toyotas built in the last 20 years

EricM
EricM HalfDork
6/9/09 8:32 a.m.

The list is short for me.

any BMW, sorry, they may be great cars, just the dicks and shiny happy people (nice filter! I said a$$holes though....) driving them have ruined it.

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pFN86D0I7SbD1EY6K2mB3178y2LY7CXNjmniJZmh6PogCD3yF2KLWvjFW5uCsjtl